Tom Philips conspiracy theories - Add your own pet theory!

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
Mercury
God

Tom Philips conspiracy theories - Add your own pet theory!

Post by Mercury »

At this point I call BS. Tom, its getting rather silly at this point. To the faithful Tom-ites a conspiratorial voice is the only "rational" source for explanations why the Tom Phillips Experience (TM) is not delivered yet. Like the unstable and vindictive Mike Norton, we see battle lines being drawn that largely polarize the exmo community into those still hoping for a silver bullet that will once and for all get our loved ones out of the clutches of a misanthropic corporation that masquerades as a religion.

I have all the best hopes for Tom delivering something earth shaking but what I see is stammering, flimsy conspiratorial generalities and unsupported claims.

If the church is trying to bribe and intimidate you Tom then make it public on the specifics while it is happening. There has been a slew of rash, self promoting individuals as of late who are attempting to, in my opinion, ride the wave of disaffection.

Theory 1: Tom was going to promote a book he has been shopping around and has been building buzz via a veiled surprise in October.

Theory 2: Tom is, in actuality, an agent provocateur looking to suss out and spoof the exmormon community.

Theory 3: Ancient adherents of the elder Gods have manipulated Tom in order to bring about the reign of Cthulhu and eternal enslavement of humankind.

Theory 4: Tom actually has something damaging and has no PR skills.

Theory 5: Tom actually has something and is being "intimidated" via gag order.

Theory 6: Tom is basking in the attention garnered from being at the center of the spotlight of exmo circles and believes that because he verified the practice of the modern second anointing he is entitled to sensationalize humdrum incriminating evidence that if not promoted in a sensationalist fashion will seem humdrum.

Theory 7: Something something bilderberg freemason reptilian CABAL. See theory 3.

Personally I like theory 7.
Last edited by Mercury on Fri Oct 25, 2013 1:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
And crawling on the planet's face
Some insects called the human race
Lost in time
And lost in space...and meaning

Shiloh

Re: Tom Philips conspiracy theories - Add your own pet theor

Post by Shiloh »

I vote for 4 or 7.

Mercury
God

Post by Mercury »

Shiloh wrote:I vote for 4 or 7.

Indeed. When he said he was having issues with a press release I facepalmed and sent him a link to prweb.
Lost in time

robuchan
Stake High Council

Post by robuchan »

8. He's an attention whore

Mercury
God

Post by Mercury »

robuchan wrote:8. He's an attention whore

Relevant:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QI4O8byPw7g
Lost in time

Bazooka
God

Post by Bazooka »

It will be something to do with money.
That said, with the Book of Mormon, we are not dealing with a civilization with no written record. What we are dealing with is a written record with no civilization. (Runtu, Feb 2015)

Mercury
God

Post by Mercury »

Bazooka wrote:It will be something to do with money.

Is this a guess or do you possess privileged information?
Lost in time

Analytics
God

Post by Analytics »

[camera panning over Egyptian pyramids]

Announcer:
Could it be that the pyramids were actually constructed by ancient aliens? Could it be that those aliens are now returning to earth?

[Cut to Mercury (author of Enslaved by Aliens), sitting at his office desk, covered with old books, who earnestly explains to the off-camera interviewer…]

Mercury: Ancient adherents of the elder Gods have manipulated Tom in order to bring about the reign of Cthulhu and eternal enslavement of humankind.
It’s relatively easy to agree that only Homo sapiens can speak about things that don’t really exist, and believe six impossible things before breakfast. You could never convince a monkey to give you a banana by promising him limitless bananas after death in monkey heaven.

-Yuval Noah Harari

Mercury
God

Post by Mercury »

Analytics wrote:[camera panning over Egyptian pyramids]

Announcer:
Could it be that the pyramids were actually constructed by ancient aliens? Could it be that those aliens are now returning to earth?

[Cut to Mercury (author of Enslaved by Aliens), sitting at his office desk, covered with old books, who earnestly explains to the off-camera interviewer…]

Mercury: Ancient adherents of the elder Gods have manipulated Tom in order to bring about the reign of Cthulhu and eternal enslavement of humankind.

Damn Elder Gods and their insanity inducing visage.

Cthulhu fhtagn!
Lost in time

Hasa Diga Eebowai
God

Post by Hasa Diga Eebowai »

-
Last edited by Hasa Diga Eebowai on Fri Sep 12, 2014 8:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mercury
God

Post by Mercury »

Hasa Diga Eebowai wrote:No doubt Tom Philips' pet project is bound to disappoint in my humble opinion. My favorite conspiracy theory though is sunilooney2's conspiracy theory that Sanctorian is Tom Philips.

Thanks,

Hasa Diga Eebowai

Is there anything that backs this up?

The mods can clear that up lickety split by comparing IP addresses and stating if they originate from the same network.
Lost in time

Cicero
Prophet

Post by Cicero »

I too am getting very tired of his antics.

Blixa
God

Post by Blixa »

From the Ernest L. Wilkinson Diaries: "ELW dreams he's spattered w/ grease. Hundreds steal his greasy pants."

Mary
God

Post by Mary »

I just really feel the need to defend Tom here, as a fellow Brit.

He's not an attention whore.
He is working on something quite significant.
He is using his own money to do so.
If whatever he is working on influences the church to be more honest and open with it's dealings then I am all for it.
"It's a little like the Confederate Constitution guaranteeing the freedom to own slaves. Irony doesn't exist for bigots or fanatics." Maksutov

Tom Phillips
Nursery

Post by Tom Phillips »

Hi, I am Tom Phillips and this is the very first time I have posted on this board although I have lurked, and been edified by you, for a few years. Check with Dr. Shades if you wish. He set up my account about 3 hours ago and can, presumably, confirm I am not the other poster some have accused me of being. One conspiracy scotched.

Thank you Mary and others for your defence of me. I get far more messages of support and gratitude than the opposite. That said, I am not in this for any notoriety , I am merely doing what I can to bring out the truth.

So, as to the theories posted by the OP, none are true. The one that I lack PR skills has an element of truth in this because I have ignored and been unconcerned about PR. The news, when it breaks will be its own PR and will gain momentum without me. It is not because I lack the skills, having used such skills for the church in the past. It is that I am not concerned about a PR campaign at this stage. That will happen later and will be handled by others far more expert than I. It is true that Mercury suggested a newswire, but I do not need that. I already have media interest and I will leave the PR to them, when the news can break.

Those who have offerd help, I appreciate and will be in contact with them when we can go public.

That said will this all be a damp squid? For some it obviously will. For most no. I did not coin the term 'October Surprise' that label was penned by others. I made an off the cuff remark in my excitement and it 'grew legs'. As I said on another board, I regret mentioning anything. I was then asked when this would happen and, at the time, I gave my best guess as October, but timing has never been completely in my control.

Will it be a surprise? It will, because with all the speculation on a number of boards not one, so far, is accurate. So, to that extent it will be a surprise, something nobody has guessed. Will it be secret documents or sex scandal? No. Will it bring down the church No, I have already said that. I can't think of anything that will bring down the church for at least 2 reasons. (1) the church has survived despite proof it is false (Book of Mormon, Book of Abraham, DNA etc.) and (2) there are so many TBMs that will believe no matter what and will spin or put on the shelf anything that is thrown at the church. Will it damage the church? Yes, for sure and will cause some to leave. I don't see how the apologists will be able to spin their way out of this. But I could be wrong, there are a lot of illusions/magic tricks that I do not understand.

Bottom line - I am engaged with something that I think will have a major impact on the church. That is my personal opinion and others may think differently, that it is nothing. It has complexities and timing issues and fairly considerable financial cost. The nay sayers will understand these when it is released. So, if you are genuinely interested, please be patient a little longer. I hope not to disappoint but, hey, I am human. I do not claim to be a prophet of God or anything special. I just want the truth out there for future generations, if not this generation. Many of us have TBM families who will probably go to their graves believing. My hope is for those who are open to the truth and for future generations. Let's not continue this delusional myth.

RayAgostini

Post by RayAgostini »

Tom Phillips wrote: My hope is for those who are open to the truth and for future generations. Let's not continue this delusional myth.

Kishkumen
Seedy Academician

Post by Kishkumen »

I would be interested to know what price one puts on having a strong, supportive community when one believes in something, and why those who no longer believe want to damage it for those who do. OK, I am interested in questions the answers to which can be damaging to faith. But I have no interest in proselytizing unbelief. Here I see someone who is out to harm the LDS Church, and I have to ask, why?
"Petition wasn’t meant to start a witch hunt as I’ve said 6000 times." ~ Hanna Seariac, LDS apologist

Everybody Wang Chung
God

Post by Everybody Wang Chung »

Tom Phillips wrote:Hi, I am Tom Phillips and this is the very first time I have posted on this board although I have lurked, and been edified by you, for a few years. Check with Dr. Shades if you wish. He set up my account about 3 hours ago and can, presumably, confirm I am not the other poster some have accused me of being. One conspiracy scotched.

Thank you Mary and others for your defence of me. I get far more messages of support and gratitude than the opposite. That said, I am not in this for any notoriety , I am merely doing what I can to bring out the truth.

So, as to the theories posted by the OP, none are true. The one that I lack PR skills has an element of truth in this because I have ignored and been unconcerned about PR. The news, when it breaks will be its own PR and will gain momentum without me. It is not because I lack the skills, having used such skills for the church in the past. It is that I am not concerned about a PR campaign at this stage. That will happen later and will be handled by others far more expert than I. It is true that Mercury suggested a newswire, but I do not need that. I already have media interest and I will leave the PR to them, when the news can break.

Those who have offerd help, I appreciate and will be in contact with them when we can go public.

That said will this all be a damp squid? For some it obviously will. For most no. I did not coin the term 'October Surprise' that label was penned by others. I made an off the cuff remark in my excitement and it 'grew legs'. As I said on another board, I regret mentioning anything. I was then asked when this would happen and, at the time, I gave my best guess as October, but timing has never been completely in my control.

Will it be a surprise? It will, because with all the speculation on a number of boards not one, so far, is accurate. So, to that extent it will be a surprise, something nobody has guessed. Will it be secret documents or sex scandal? No. Will it bring down the church No, I have already said that. I can't think of anything that will bring down the church for at least 2 reasons. (1) the church has survived despite proof it is false (Book of Mormon, Book of Abraham, DNA etc.) and (2) there are so many TBMs that will believe no matter what and will spin or put on the shelf anything that is thrown at the church. Will it damage the church? Yes, for sure and will cause some to leave. I don't see how the apologists will be able to spin their way out of this. But I could be wrong, there are a lot of illusions/magic tricks that I do not understand.

Bottom line - I am engaged with something that I think will have a major impact on the church. That is my personal opinion and others may think differently, that it is nothing. It has complexities and timing issues and fairly considerable financial cost. The nay sayers will understand these when it is released. So, if you are genuinely interested, please be patient a little longer. I hope not to disappoint but, hey, I am human. I do not claim to be a prophet of God or anything special. I just want the truth out there for future generations, if not this generation. Many of us have TBM families who will probably go to their graves believing. My hope is for those who are open to the truth and for future generations. Let's not continue this delusional myth.

Thanks Tom, and welcome.

I'm all for transparency when it comes to the Church, which I understand is a huge part of your project. Every LDS deserves a more open, honest and transparent Church, and I believe change in this area will not come about unless members demand it.

If your project will further this objective, than I applaud and support it.

Thanks, again.
"I'm on paid sabbatical from BYU in exchange for my promise to use this time to finish two books."

Daniel C. Peterson, 2014

ZelphtheGreat
God

Post by ZelphtheGreat »

Kishkumen wrote:I would be interested to know what price one puts on having a strong, supportive community when one believes in something, and why those who no longer believe want to damage it for those who do. OK, I am interested in questions the answers to which can be damaging to faith. But I have no interest in proselytizing unbelief. Here I see someone who is out to harm the LDS Church, and I have to ask, why?

If LDS inc were a financial institution they would be in the midst of prosecution for fraud. As it is they are a Real Estate Corporation masquerading as a religion.
Why work to bring them down? Because they lie to get gain. They rake in money off what they teach from those gullible enough to fall for it. Truth has nothing to do with it, they are a money making pyramid scheme and the downline is all those brought in by missionaries, members and families with children born into the cult.

Proselytizing unbelief? How about putting out Truth and honesty and it if hurts, so be it. Why wouldn't one want to 'harm' a scheming and lying organization?
“If paying tithing means that you can’t pay for water or electricity, pay tithing. If paying tithing means that you can’t pay your rent, pay tithing. Even if paying tithing means that you don’t have enough money to feed your family, pay tithing." Ensign/2012/12

QuestionEverything
Star B

Post by QuestionEverything »

Kishkumen wrote:I would be interested to know what price one puts on having a strong, supportive community when one believes in something, and why those who no longer believe want to damage it for those who do. OK, I am interested in questions the answers to which can be damaging to faith. But I have no interest in proselytizing unbelief. Here I see someone who is out to harm the LDS Church, and I have to ask, why?

For me, it's all about Informed Consent (I am a physician, and this concept is foundational to the practice of medicine, and I believe, has wide application to other areas of life). I have been out for several years, but still have children and grandchildren in, much like Tom. My goal is not to trash their belief system and community, but as long as they are kept in the dark by the institutional Church, I consider that as an unacceptable situation (and quite unethical and unprofessional behavior by the insitutional Church), and I am therefore highly motivated to see that change.

I recently wrote my daughter an email on just this subject - she has been unwilling to engage in a conversation, in large part, I think, due to the fear instilled by the Church. I tried to tell her that all I want is for her to be fully informed, and will respect whatever decision she makes at that point. But until her decisions are fully informed, they are to that extent not valid, nor informed.

I have tried to point out the difference between the institutional Church, which I have zero respect for, and the local congregation and community, which for the most part is filled with people like them - innocently trying to do the right things, and live ethical lives.

I appreciate Tom's efforts, as well as his post here, and hope he succeeds in enabling people to be more fully informed about the Church's real history and practices. If having more people aware of the truth results in people leaving, then that's fine with me. I think it is a worthwhile goal to expose hypocrisy and lies, and let the chips fall where they may.

Kishkumen
Seedy Academician

Post by Kishkumen »

ZelphtheGreat wrote:If LDS inc were a financial institution they would be in the midst of prosecution for fraud. As it is they are a Real Estate Corporation masquerading as a religion.

Why work to bring them down? Because they lie to get gain. They rake in money off what they teach from those gullible enough to fall for it. Truth has nothing to do with it, they are a money making pyramid scheme and the downline is all those brought in by missionaries, members and families with children born into the cult.

Proselytizing unbelief? How about putting out Truth and honesty and it if hurts, so be it. Why wouldn't one want to 'harm' a scheming and lying organization?

Madoff lied to get gain. If this is simply lying to get gain, then it seems to me that there would be much less complicated and straightforward ways of going about it.
"Petition wasn’t meant to start a witch hunt as I’ve said 6000 times." ~ Hanna Seariac, LDS apologist