Inspiring or Helpful Philosophy and Spirituality

The upper-crust forum for scholarly, polite, and respectful discussions only. Heavily moderated. Rated G.
_Amore
_Emeritus

Re: Inspiring or Helpful Philosophy and Spirituality

Post by _Amore »

I have a question wrote:“If at first you don’t succeed, sack it off and go for a beer.”...
Vs.
[sig:]“When we are confronted with evidence that challenges our deeply held beliefs we are more likely to reframe the evidence than we are to alter our beliefs. We simply invent new reasons, new justifications, new explanations. Sometimes we ignore the evidence altogether.” (Mathew Syed 'Black Box Thinking')

The latter is better advise. ;)
_Amore
_Emeritus

Post by _Amore »

Physics Guy wrote:...Arjuna can't bear to fight. There are friends and family on both sides. The chariot driver explains to Arjuna why he still has to fight...

... an allegory for every person's moral struggle against their own baser side. The insight that in the struggle between good and evil we are all on both sides at once is just the beginning of the Bhagavad Gita...

Sounds interesting! Thanks. Makes me want to look into it more.

I believe we are both good & evil. Both the kingdom of God & evil are within. There’s need to “wrestle god.” Ironically those who don’t, tend to subconsciously spill out more evil.

It’s said that Krishna was borrowed from Christianity. Krishna’s parents were taxed, he was born of divine conception, etc.
_Amore
_Emeritus

Post by _Amore »

moksha wrote:
Physics Guy wrote:So the chariot driver [Krishna] who explains to Arjuna ...

"Know then Arjuna that in ages hence, a powerful wizard will arise in Orem, who will lead an army of tapirs as heralds for the great Ganesha. Ganesha will trumpet great joy for mankind. That is why you must fight Prince Arjuna!"

In “Orem”? :smile:
What have I been missing at those Orem meet ups?!!
_Amore
_Emeritus

Post by _Amore »