If you got Jesus wrong your missing the Gospel

The upper-crust forum for scholarly, polite, and respectful discussions only. Heavily moderated. Rated G.
_Mittens
_Emeritus

Re: If you got Jesus wrong your missing the Gospel

Post by _Mittens »

The Catholic theocracy seems to have corrupted Christ’s main message by turning him into human sacrifice scapegoat and heaven’s reward fallacy.

Pretty sure the main message was love. The rest is the stuff of powerful movie scenes and passion plays with no certainty as to the authenticity.

Yes, Christ’s message is love. And Christ is essentially the archetype of all that is good. But the Catholic (“universal”) church corrupted his message with twisting his message, inquisition and crusades. Even though in most areas people are not tortured or killed for not believing Catholicism - there are still remnants (shunning, shaming etc) for not believing.

You forgot to mention The Meadow Mountain Massacre :lol:
Justice = Getting what you deserve
Mercy = Not getting what you deserve
Grace = Getting what you can never deserve
_huckelberry
_Emeritus

Post by _huckelberry »

Mittens wrote:You forgot to mention The Meadow Mountain Massacre:lol:

Then of course there is the sinking of the Titanic to consider.
_moksha
_Emeritus

Post by _moksha »

huckelberry wrote:
Mittens wrote:You forgot to mention The Meadow Mountain Massacre:lol:

Then of course there is the sinking of the Titanic to consider.

Not to mention the usurpation and coup at the Maxwell Institute!
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
_Doctor CamNC4Me
_Emeritus

Post by _Doctor CamNC4Me »

- Doc
In the face of madness, rationality has no power - Xiao Wang, US historiographer, 2287 AD.

Every record...falsified, every book rewritten...every statue...has been renamed or torn down, every date...altered...the process is continuing...minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Ideology is always right.
_Maksutov
_Emeritus

Post by _Maksutov »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:Image

- Doc

:lol: :lol: :lol:
"God" is the original deus ex machina. --Maksutov
_huckelberry
_Emeritus

Post by _huckelberry »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote: above cartoon

We finally got an example of getting Jesus wrong and thus missing the gospel.

I am not sure why Mittens did not come up with an example like this earlier.
_Maksutov
_Emeritus

Post by _Maksutov »

huckelberry wrote:
Doctor CamNC4Me wrote: above cartoon

We finally got an example of getting Jesus wrong and thus missing the gospel.

I am not sure why Mittens did not come up with an example like this earlier.

I'm sure someone will produce a Chick tract on the subject if we pray hard enough. :ugeek:
"God" is the original deus ex machina. --Maksutov
_msnobody
_Emeritus

Post by _msnobody »

Philo Sofee wrote:
Tue Feb 12, 2019 1:32 am
I sincerely don't see the reason why the Bible makes any difference..... why THAT book, or ANY other book actually? Quoting the Bible means nothing. It's old, it's a lousy compilation, and it is seriously questionable on all sorts of things. In other words, give me valid reasons why I should care what the Bible presents. All I see is osme ancient guys point of view that got into print. So what? Why should I care what they thought or believed or said?
It is what the Lord will use to turn you toward himself, whether the written Word or spoken Word. It does what it says it will do. In Jesus is eternal life for those who will trust him. I look forward to the day, Philo, when He firmly plants His Word in your heart. Love you, my brother!
"The Lord is near to all who call on him, to all who call on him in truth. He fulfills the desire of those who fear him; he also hears their cry and saves them.” Psalm 145:18-19 ESV
_Dr Exiled
_Emeritus

Post by _Dr Exiled »

I keep having this feeling that Jesus is an exaggeration, that perhaps Paul and others used the Jesus story to make claims that cannot be supported and some have misused the claims to get power over others. Some use it as a passive aggressive way to put others down. Reading the scholarship behind the New Testament, like from Bart Erhman and others, gives me this feeling more and more with each reading. This feeling is very strong with me. What should I do? It makes me want to witness to the witnesses that their witness is an incorrect witness.