New series on Junia

The upper-crust forum for scholarly, polite, and respectful discussions only. Heavily moderated. Rated G.
_MsJack
_Emeritus

New series on Junia

Post by _MsJack »

I've redesigned my site and kicked off a new series on the Apostle Junia in Romans 16:7:

Introducing the Junia Series

I'll be examining all of the patristic commentators on Junia, posting a new translation of Origen's comments on her, calling out the (mis)use of Pseudo-Epiphanius among the anti-Junia crowd, and critiquing Michael Burer's 2015 follow-up to his and Dan Wallace's 2001 article on Junia.

I won't reference Mormonism often, but the series might interest a few people here.
"It seems to me that these women were the head (κεφάλαιον) of the church which was at Philippi." ~ John Chrysostom, Homilies on Philippians 13

My Blogs: Weighted Glory | Worlds Without End: A Mormon Studies Roundtable | Twitter
_aussieguy55
_Emeritus

Re: New series on Junia

Post by _aussieguy55 »

Hello

I shared your work with a Reformed Tradition friend of mine who disagrees. I don not know Greek very well and thought you might comment.

"Hi Noel,

We've been past this tree before.

There is nothing new in the arguments presented. The dative in Greek (the word 'apostles' is in the dative) may be rendered as 'by', 'from', 'with', 'among', 'to' or it might be a dative of indefinite reference. The word 'episemoi' (masculine plural) might be rendered 'marked' 'stamped' 'coined' 'spotted' 'striped' 'notable' 'remarkable' 'conspicuous' 'notorious'. All the relative pronouns and adjectives that refer to Andronikos and Junia(s) are masculine. In light of this fact, it might be legitimate to translate verse 7 as "Greet Andronikos and Junia(s), my (male) relatives and (male) fellow prisoners -- (which males are) esteemed by the (male) apostles -- who (as males) were in Christ before me." Even rendering it 'of note among the apostles' in no way requires the interpretation that these two Christians were apostles. It can mean that, to their credit, these people (whether male or female), according to the opinion held among the apostles, were remarkable Christians.

Until some real evidence is produced, I don't believe that either Andronikos or Junia(s) were Apostles of Jesus Christ, but were Christians highly esteemed
Hilary Clinton " I won the places that represent two-thirds of America's GDP.I won in places are optimistic diverse, dynamic, moving forward"
_moksha
_Emeritus

Post by _moksha »

Aussieguy, does your friend have any insight as to whether the Roman Goddess Juno may have been a guy?
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
_Kishkumen
_Emeritus

Post by _Kishkumen »

moksha wrote:Aussieguy, does your friend have any insight as to whether the Roman Goddess Juno may have been a guy?

:lol:
"Petition wasn’t meant to start a witch hunt as I’ve said 6000 times." ~ Hanna Seariac, LDS apologist
_Kishkumen
_Emeritus

Post by _Kishkumen »

aussieguy55 wrote:Hello

I shared your work with a Reformed Tradition friend of mine who disagrees. I don not know Greek very well and thought you might comment.

"Hi Noel,

We've been past this tree before.

There is nothing new in the arguments presented. The dative in Greek (the word 'apostles' is in the dative) may be rendered as 'by', 'from', 'with', 'among', 'to' or it might be a dative of indefinite reference. The word 'episemoi' (masculine plural) might be rendered 'marked' 'stamped' 'coined' 'spotted' 'striped' 'notable' 'remarkable' 'conspicuous' 'notorious'. All the relative pronouns and adjectives that refer to Andronikos and Junia(s) are masculine. In light of this fact, it might be legitimate to translate verse 7 as "Greet Andronikos and Junia(s), my (male) relatives and (male) fellow prisoners -- (which males are) esteemed by the (male) apostles -- who (as males) were in Christ before me." Even rendering it 'of note among the apostles' in no way requires the interpretation that these two Christians were apostles. It can mean that, to their credit, these people (whether male or female), according to the opinion held among the apostles, were remarkable Christians.

Until some real evidence is produced, I don't believe that either Andronikos or Junia(s) were Apostles of Jesus Christ, but were Christians highly esteemed

No offense, Noel, but your friend is not literate in New Testament Greek.
"Petition wasn’t meant to start a witch hunt as I’ve said 6000 times." ~ Hanna Seariac, LDS apologist
_Doctor Steuss
_Emeritus

Post by _Doctor Steuss »

Thank you MsJack for the heads-up. Looking forward for the next instalments.
"Some people never go crazy. What truly horrible lives they must lead." ~Charles Bukowski
_huckelberry
_Emeritus

Post by _huckelberry »

I realize there are more than a couple of discussions on this topic . I was interested in this presentations reflection on the problematic Timothy passage. The speaker starts by declining to claim complete understanding of the problem but he is enough expert to be worth listening to (N T Wright)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FSZPyZFWQI0