Best Argument for LDS Truth

The upper-crust forum for scholarly, polite, and respectful discussions only. Heavily moderated. Rated G.
_SteelHead
_Emeritus

Re: Best Argument for LDS Truth

Post by _SteelHead »

Dr. Shades wrote:
moksha wrote:***Moksha seems to be using the word truth in a non-binary sense.

If so, then that's moksha's problem. Moksha should realize that Moksha doesn't get to invent Moksha's own definitions for words.

It is better to be a warrior in a garden, than a gardener at war.

Some of us, on the other hand, actually prefer a religion that includes some type of correlation with reality.
~Bill Hamblin
_ClarkGoble
_Emeritus

Post by _ClarkGoble »

moksha wrote:
didyoumythme wrote:If the same priesthood is here, just like biblical times, then we would see miracles today.

The criteria for what would be accepted as a miracle has changed. In the past, if someone blew a mouthful of cornstarch at a flame they would say it was a fire-breathing miracle. If someone did it today, we could call it combustion.

Clark's Law (the author - not me) "Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic"

I think that applies.

Although I also think that many Mormons believe in active miracles and the like. It's just the people whom I'd tend to believe don't talk about them openly. I'm sure were we to have and U&T and could look at the actual historic events we'd discover many purported miracles in the past didn't happen, were misinterpretations, or got exaggerated with tellings (like the crickets and the seagulls). But I personally believe many were real. And I think they still happen.
_moksha
_Emeritus

Post by _moksha »

ClarkGoble wrote: I'm sure were we to have and U&T and could look at the actual historic events we'd discover many purported miracles in the past didn't happen, were misinterpretations, or got exaggerated with tellings (like the crickets and the seagulls). But I personally believe many were real. And I think they still happen.

Many wonders are yet to be discovered. In the meantime, we still have that guy behind the curtain.*

* I do hope that little dog from Kansas refrains from peeing on this leg.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
_moksha
_Emeritus

Post by _moksha »

Dr. Shades wrote:Moksha should realize that Moksha doesn't get to invent Moksha's own definitions for words.

Well, that's no fun! Anyway, inventing definitions is part of my heritage, the same as it is for most folks here except for Jersey Girl.*

*What with being from the tribe of Snookie and all that.
_RockSlider
_Emeritus

Post by _RockSlider »

I think truth and morality is being mixed up here:

"It is found when it inspires us to be a kinder and more loving people. There are so very many wonderful Mormons. They are a good example of what is true moral."
_Dr. Shades
_Emeritus

Post by _Dr. Shades »

Lemmie wrote:I think Moksha was sending up another group's propensity to non-binarily use 'truth' when they don't have it on their side.

I'm going to have to respectfully disagree, because I've never seen Mormons members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints use the word that way.

RockSlider wrote:I think truth and morality is being mixed up here:

"It is found when it inspires us to be a kinder and more loving people. There are so very many wonderful Mormons. They are a good example of what is true moral."

You see, Moksha? This is how words work.

Thank you, Rockslider.
"Finally, for your rather strange idea that miracles are somehow linked to the amount of gay sexual gratification that is taking place would require that primitive Christianity was launched by gay sex, would it not?"

--Louis Midgley
_Lemmie
_Emeritus

Post by _Lemmie »

Dr. Shades wrote:
Lemmie wrote:I think Moksha was sending up another group's propensity to non-binarily use 'truth' when they don't have it on their side.

I'm going to have to respectfully disagree, because I've never seen Mormons members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints use the word that way.

Do you mean 'truth' used non-binarily or 'niceness' as a euphemism for 'truth'? I'm losing track! Moksha is the master at this, I am simply an admirer.

If it is the former, where non-truth is not necessarily not-true, (hence no binary true-not true decison tree branch but rather a never-ending contiuum), then ClarkGoble does it in practically every post he writes here. :wink: Truth as niceness? Then yes, I would agree. Although there seems to be a fair amount of touchiness from some believers when it is noted that their expression of their version of truth is not particularly nice. :lol:
_moksha
_Emeritus

Post by _moksha »

Religion can provide a sense of increased purpose in life for people who are socially disconnected.

https://www.psypost.org/2018/08/people-who-are-socially-disconnected-turn-to-religion-to-restore-a-sense-of-purpose-to-their-lives-52082
_Amore
_Emeritus

Post by _Amore »

My Dear, Moksha, conjunctive stage? https://i.pinimg.com/originals/38/b4/28 ... bc77d7.jpg. I’ve come to this stage which involves seeing both positive and negative aspects of the 2 previous stages (literal religious and skeptical), and consciously taking the best from each. So, yeah, I see truth in some positive effects of how Mormons live - service-oriented, high standards, etc. But I also see some negative - like the back-stabbing once they discover you don’t deify “our” financially corrupt leaders.

Still, I go to church pretty regularly partly to appease & partly because I see benefits from the unbeatable sense of community for our family. And I’ve seen studies showing that social connection was the highest factor (even above diet, exercise etc) for longevity.

I also think it’s rare and difficult but important to avoid polarized thinking. Mormons or any other group are not 100% good or bad - not true or false - but a messy mix of it all.