Bruce R McConkie a blind guide

The upper-crust forum for scholarly, polite, and respectful discussions only. Heavily moderated. Rated G.
_Mittens
_Emeritus

Bruce R McConkie a blind guide

Post by _Mittens »

Our Relationship with God
Now, it is no secret that many false and vain and foolish things are being taught in the sectarian world and even among us about our need to gain a special relationship with the Lord Jesus. I shall summarize the true doctrine in this field and invite erring teachers and beguiled students to repent and believe the accepted gospel verities as I shall set them forth.

We worship the Father and him only and no one else.
We do not worship the Son, and we do not worship the Holy Ghost. I know perfectly well what the scriptures say about worshipping Christ and Jehovah, but they are speaking in an entirely different sense—the sense of standing in awe and being reverentially grateful to him who has redeemed us. Worship in the true and saving sense is reserved for God the first, the Creator.

Interesting that Mormon leader tells us not to worship Jesus yet Book of Mormon tells us to Worship Jesus. He also commands the students at BYU not to have a personal relationship with Jesus. The Bible tells us he must be a blind guide

1 Nephi 11: 24 And after he had said these words, he said unto me: Look! And I looked, and I beheld the Son of God going forth among the children of men; and I saw many fall down at his feet and worship him.

3 Nephi 11: 17 Hosanna! Blessed be the name of the Most High God! And they did fall down at the feet of Jesus, and did worship him.

https://speeches.byu.edu/talks/bruce-r- ... ship-lord/
Justice = Getting what you deserve
Mercy = Not getting what you deserve
Grace = Getting what you can never deserve
_ClarkGoble
_Emeritus

Re: Bruce R McConkie a blind guide

Post by _ClarkGoble »

Don't forget D&C 76:21. McConkie actually is inconsistent in his own writings on this point. In Mormon Doctrine he wrote of how only the three members of the Godhead are worshipped. I think he was trying to make a distinction between our relationship with the Father from our relationship to the Son and put it rather poorly to be sure.
_Mittens
_Emeritus

Re: Bruce R McConkie a blind guide

Post by _Mittens »

ClarkGoble wrote:Don't forget D&C 76:21. McConkie actually is inconsistent in his own writings on this point. In Mormon Doctrine he wrote of how only the three members of the Godhead are worshipped. I think he was trying to make a distinction between our relationship with the Father from our relationship to the Son and put it rather poorly to be sure.

McConkie was confused and like Le Grand Richards said "God is not the Author of Confusion" :lol:

According to LDS Doctrine God is omnipotent, omnipresent & omniscient. He knows everything.

Elder Robert Hales put it this way, “God knows all these things…Though omnipotent and omniscient, all-powerful and all-knowing, He is our friend.” Oct ’97 General Conference
The scriptures reinforce this doctrine of an all knowing God, a God that even knows how many hairs are on our heads.

Luke 12: 6-7
6 Are not five sparrows sold for two farthings, and not one of them is forgotten before God?
7 But even the very hairs of your head are all numbered. Fear not therefore: ye are of more value than many sparrows.
To further confirm this doctrine of an all knowing God, LDS scripture further confirms this doctrine that not only does God know the number of hairs on our head but the number of planets in the Universe. It appears that God's knowledge is all encompassing.

In Moses 1:35 we read:
But only an account of this earth, and the inhabitants thereof, give I unto you. For behold, there are many worlds that have passed away by the word of my power. And there are many that now stand, and innumerable are they unto man; but all things are numbered unto me, for they are mine and I know them.” (Moses 1:35.)

So why does early Mormon leaders teach the opposite?

God himself is increasing and progressing in knowledge, power, and dominion, and will do so, worlds without end." Wilford Woodruff, Journal of Discourses Vol. 6:120

And why did Bruce R McConkie get reprimanded for teaching God was omniscient?

Jan 7-8,1960 - First Presidency decides that Bruce R. McConkie's Mormon Doctrine "must not be re-published, as it is full of errors and misstatements, and it is most unfortunate that it has received such wide circulation." They are exasperated that McConkie and his publisher released the book without pre-publication publicity or notifying First Presidency. Even his father-in-law, senior apostle, Joseph Fielding Smith, "did not know anything about it until it was published." This is McConkie's way to avoid repetition of Presidency's stopping his pre-announced Sound Doctrine three years earlier.

Committee of two apostles (Mark E. Petersen and Marion G. Romney) report that McConkie's Mormon Doctrine contains 1,067 doctrinal errors. For example, page 493 said: "Those who falsely and erroneously suppose that God is progressing in knowledge and gaining new truths cannot exercise sufficient faith in him to gain salvation until they divest themselves of their false beliefs." However, McConkie is affirming doctrine of omniscience officially condemned by previous First Presidency and Quorum of the Twelve Apostles in 1865. In announcing their decision to the Twelve on 28 Jan 1960, First Presidency says there should be no revised edition of Mormon Doctrine. Presidency reverses initial decision on 7 Jan. "that the book should be officially repudiated."
Justice = Getting what you deserve
Mercy = Not getting what you deserve
Grace = Getting what you can never deserve