Superseding the Book of Mormon teachings

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Holy Ghost
_Emeritus

Superseding the Book of Mormon teachings

Post by _Holy Ghost »

Joseph Smith, Jr. produced the Book of Mormon in 1829. Mormons tout the Book of Mormon as having the fullness of the Gospel.

There is not much original in it vis-a-vis the Bible, except Biblical ideas interwoven around a story purporting to explain the origins of native Americans as having derived from a Jerusalem family and then splitting into two factions that had disputations over a 1,000 years with an appearance of resurrected Jesus at about the 600 year mark. That narrative is pretty much debunked. No archaeological corroboration. Anachronisms. DNA. Etc.

As Mormonism developed its doctrines after the Book of Mormon, it has left some parts of the Book of Mormon in the dust bin. Here are a few:

1-Godhead is a Trinity
{"In 1 Nephi 11:18 in the 1830 edition of the Book of Mormon (p. 25), Mary is referred to as the “mother of God”. In the 1837 edition, Joseph Smith changed that into “the mother of the Son of God” (Book of Mormon 2013, p. 20) In 1 Nephi 13:40 in the 1830 edition (p. 32) it says “the Lamb of God is the Eternal Father and the Saviour of the world”. In later editions, this was changed to “the Lamb of God is the Son of the Eternal Father, and the Saviour of the world (Book of Mormon 2013, p. 27). These changes have only been applied to the first part of the Book of Mormon. Examples of later verses in which the Trinitarian image of Gods was retained, are Mosiah 16:15 and Alma 11:38-39, in which Jesus is called the “Eternal Father” (Book of Mormon 2013, pp. 179, 236). Joseph Smith belief in the traditional Christian concept of God is supported by a number of “corrections” he made during his revision of the Bible between 1830 and 1833, which made the adjusted verses more strongly Trinitarian than the original: In the King James Version of the Bible Joseph Smith used, Luke 10:22, for instance, reads: “and no man knoweth who the Son is, but the Father; and who the Father is, but the Son, and he to whom the Son will reveal him”. Joseph Smith changed this to: “Ànd no man knoweth that the Son is the Father, and the Father is the Son, but him to whom the Son will reveal it” (Joseph Smith’s “New Translation” of the Bible 1970, p. 402).
In the King James Bible, 1 Timothy 2:4 reads: “Who will have all men to be saved, and to come unto the knowledge of the truth”, to which Joseph Smith added: “which is in Christ Jesus, who is the only begotten Son of God, and ordained to be a Mediator between God and man; who is one God and hath power over all men” (Joseph Smith’s “New Translation” of the Bible 1970, p. 496)." http://www.mormonism101.com/2014/12/tri ... ormon.html}

2-Polygamy only when needed for raising up a righteous seed--otherwise, it is
{"Ether 10:5--And it came to pass that Riplakish did not do that which was right in the sight of the Lord, for he did have many wives and concubines…Jacob 3:5--Behold, the Lamanites your brethren, whom you hate because of their filthiness and the cursing which hath come upon their skins, are more righteous than you; for they have not forgotten the commandment of the Lord, which was given unto our father – that they should have save it were one wife, and concubines they should have none…
Jacob 2--
23 But the word of God burdens me because of your grosser crimes. For behold, thus saith the Lord: This people begin to wax in iniquity; they understand not the scriptures, for they seek to excuse themselves in committing whoredoms, because of the things which were written concerning David, and Solomon his son. 24 Behold, David and Solomon truly had many wives and concubines, which thing was abominable before me, saith the Lord. 25 Wherefore, thus saith the Lord, I have led this people forth out of the land of Jerusalem, by the power of mine arm, that I might raise up unto me a righteous branch from the fruit of the loins of Joseph. 26 Wherefore, I the Lord God will not suffer that this people shall do like unto them of old. 27 Wherefore, my brethren, hear me, and hearken to the word of the Lord: For there shall not any man among you have save it be one wife; and concubines he shall have none; 28 For I, the Lord God, delight in the chastity of women. And whoredoms are an abomination before me; thus saith the Lord of Hosts. 29 Wherefore, this people shall keep my commandments, saith the Lord of Hosts, or acursed be the land for their sakes. 30 For if I will, saith the Lord of Hosts, raise up aseed unto me, I will command my people; otherwise they shall hearken unto these things. 31 For behold, I, the Lord, have seen the sorrow, and heard the mourning of the daughters of my people in the land of Jerusalem, yea, and in all the lands of my people, because of the wickedness and abominations of their husbands. 32 And I will not suffer, saith the Lord of Hosts, that the cries of the fair daughters of this people, which I have led out of the land of Jerusalem, shall come up unto me against the men of my people, saith the Lord of Hosts. 33 For they shall not lead away captive the daughters of my people because of their tenderness, save I shall visit them with a sore curse, even unto destruction; for they shall not commit whoredoms, like unto them of old, saith the Lord of Hosts."}

3-White and delightsome
{Alma 3--
6 And the skins of the Lamanites were dark, according to the mark which was set upon their fathers, which was a curse upon them because of their transgression and their rebellion against their brethren, who consisted of Nephi, Jacob, and Joseph, and Sam, who were just and holy men. 7 And their brethren sought to destroy them, therefore they were cursed; and the Lord God set a mark upon them, yea, upon Laman and Lemuel, and also the sons of Ishmael, and Ishmaelitish women. 8 And this was done that their seed might be distinguished from the seed of their brethren, that thereby the Lord God might preserve his people, that they might not mix and believe in incorrect traditions which would prove their destruction. 9 And it came to pass that whosoever did mingle his seed with that of the Lamanites did bring the same curse upon his seed.

Book of Mormon (1830 edition), 2 Nephi, Chapter XII, p. 117
"And the Gospel of Jesus Christ shall be declared among them; wherefore, ...their scales of darkness shall begin to fall from their eyes; and many generations shall not pass away among them, save they shall be a white and delightsome people."}

What other "teachings" of the Book of Mormon, "the most perfect book," can you think of that have been displaced by revelation since 1829?
"There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." Isaac Asimov