A Blast from the Past: "SeN" Takes on EV Critics

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Kishkumen
_Emeritus

Re: A Blast from the Past: "SeN" Takes on EV Critics

Post by _Kishkumen »

Gadianton wrote:
Fri Sep 04, 2020 3:23 am
right -- that's their effective way of saying "revelation has ceased"; having their cake and eating it. it's their license to be as close-minded as the EV lay ministers are.

Oh, one more thing about the marketing side of religion. That somebody uses anti-lit in their presentation is not the litmus test for a false religion, as contrasted with a better religion that focuses on their own "positive" message. Those kind of decisions are determined by marketing committees, not ethics committees. If the Church thought it could drastically increase membership by writing anti-Catholic tracts, it would do so without hesitation.

I think we all remember examples from the missionary guide that prove this. Example's like, a customer is at a car dealership, and asks about a car sold at the competing dealership down the road. How should the sales rep respond? It's better to stay positive, "Oh, you know, that is a good car, but allow me to show you some of the great cars we have!", than to criticize the competitor. In other words, suppose that you have good reason to believe the car at the other dealership has serious issues -- it would still be a better sales tactic (according to the Covey methodology, at least) to lie, and say the other car is good, in order to keep a positive atmosphere.
Revelation hasn't ceased because it is impossible to come up with something that people will believe is a revelation. Revelation has ceased because it might rock the boat in a situation that looks more safe and manageable. In fact, the Church does have its cake and eat it too. It says, "Oh, we have revelation all the time when we are meeting together in the Holy of Holies; it's just not the kind of revelation that God wants us to add to the D&C."

I think the way that the LDS Church pitches itself is, as you note, partly determined by what they believe best sells, but it is also shaped by their clear knowledge that in reality they are a small fish in a very big pond. Given their disadvantages, they play their cards carefully. It is not a mistake that they are drawn into every losing battle of the culture wars. If they did not kowtow to theo-fascism, they would lose too much business. The fanatics in the pews demand it.
"Petition wasn’t meant to start a witch hunt as I’ve said 6000 times." ~ Hanna Seariac, LDS apologist