Monson is the most forgettable Prophet, statistically

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
I have a question
God

Monson is the most forgettable Prophet, statistically

Post by I have a question »

If reading scripture and LDS General Conference talks is boring, Quentin Spencer told his virtual audience recently, just write a computer program to do it for you.
That’s what he did to track the trends and texts of conference sermons from 1942 to 2020.
Doing so, the data analyst said Thursday at the 2020 virtual Sunstone Symposium, offered fascinating tidbits about leaders in The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, including the ebb and flow of language and topics of concern.
https://www.sltrib.com/religion/2020/08 ... onference/
Spencer, a senior data analyst for Neustar Inc. in Lubbock, Texas, noted in an interview that some Latter-day Saint leaders who lean further toward “grace” in their conference addresses, including Gerrit W. Gong (the only apostle who has not yet used the term “Satan”), Jeffrey R. Holland and Dieter F. Uchtdorf “seem to be quite popular with the membership.”
That suggests “there’s a real hunger in the church for that message on grace,” he said, “which hasn’t really been promoted much until this current generation of leaders.”
The analyst was “surprised” to see that “scripture study” was not mentioned before the 1970s,” Spencer said, “and that religious practices such as daily prayer also experienced a new emphasis around that time.”
The absence of those terms points to a time when Mormonism may have been “very different,” he said, “than the one I’m familiar with.”
Spencer was struck by how frequently — or infrequently — some presidents of the church were mentioned after their death.
It can be seen “as a measure of their enduring influence, with Kimball and Hinckley leading the way among those in the past half-century,” he said. “It’s particularly striking how quickly Thomas Monson is fading from memory by that measure.”

Philo Sofee
God

Re: Monson is the most forgettable Prophet, statistically

Post by Philo Sofee »

Who?
Dr CamNC4Me
"Dr. Peterson and his Callithumpian cabal of BYU idiots have been marginalized by their own inevitable irrelevancy defending a fraud."

Temp. Admin.
Deacon

Post by Temp. Admin. »

If reading scripture and LDS General Conference talks is boring, Quentin Spencer told his virtual audience recently, just write a computer program to do it for you.
For some reason, I read the word "Quentin" and thought it was referring to "Quentin L. Cook" of the Quorum of the 12 Apostles. I was amazed that he'd advocate writing a computer program to read the scriptures for you; I thought to myself, "Man, the church is mainstreaming faster than even *I* thought!"

Philo Sofee
God

Post by Philo Sofee »

This also goes to show you that the revealed words to Monson "1, 2, 3, lets go shopping!" apparently didn't sink into the saints bosoms so much....
Dr CamNC4Me
"Dr. Peterson and his Callithumpian cabal of BYU idiots have been marginalized by their own inevitable irrelevancy defending a fraud."

Kishkumen
Seedy Academician

Post by Kishkumen »

I have a hard time believing that widow-stalking Monson is really that forgettable. Who can forget his stirring exhortation, “Let’s go shopping!” I know I will never forget his huge hand practically swallowing mine when we shook hands at a BYU Society gathering in Washington, D.C. I will also never forget when he greeted me with a wave before he stepped on the elevator at the Old Church Office Building. He’s definitely memorable to me.
"Petition wasn’t meant to start a witch hunt as I’ve said 6000 times." ~ Hanna Seariac, LDS apologist