Have the Mopologists Found a New Protege?

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
Philo Sofee
God

Re: Have the Mopologists Found a New Protege?

Post by Philo Sofee »

Just as long as their new little darling realizes it won't be her calling forth her husband through the veil in the resurrection, she will get along just fine with the patriarchy........
Dr CamNC4Me
"Dr. Peterson and his Callithumpian cabal of BYU idiots have been marginalized by their own inevitable irrelevancy defending a fraud."

Temp. Admin.
Deacon

Post by Temp. Admin. »

jfro18 wrote:
Wed Aug 05, 2020 10:51 am
. . . but then she mentioned progressive Mormons at the end of the FAIR podcast and Gee really lit her up over it.

And she backpedaled and did her best to laugh it off, but man that was a really awkward exchange that happened before they got to the incredible stupid Q&A at the end. To find out she had previously written against progressives and still got lit up... hahaha.
To find out what jfro18 is talking about, here's the link:

FAIR podcast #5

. . . then fast-forward to the 46:33 mark.

Doctor Scratch
B.H. Roberts Chair of Mopologetic Studies

Post by Doctor Scratch »

Kishkumen wrote:
Wed Aug 05, 2020 10:58 am
jfro18 wrote:
Wed Aug 05, 2020 10:51 am
I mentioned this the other day elsewhere, but what I found hilarious is that she wrote an article slamming progressives in the church, but then she mentioned progressive Mormons at the end of the FAIR podcast and Gee really lit her up over it.

And she backpedaled and did her best to laugh it off, but man that was a really awkward exchange that happened before they got to the incredible stupid Q&A at the end. To find out she had previously written against progressives and still got lit up... hahaha.
I feel badly for her. She is in for a lot more poor treatment from her priesthood leaders over the years. I would say that she'd better get used to it, but I really hope she does not. I would prefer that she and others who want to live a life of Mormon faith find other options than the apostolic coup.
Exactly my reaction as well, Reverend. She seems like a nice person, and like someone who is eager to impress. I really winced every time she said, "Oh, that's a good point!" Basically, she was trying to save face as the "Grand Mopologist" John Gee laid down the law about just what, exactly, it means to be "progressive" in the LDS Church. For what it's worth, I actually kind of agree with her: true, Gee is correct that in the long, historical view, the notion that the Book of Mormon is 'fictional' is an old idea. But it *is* relatively new that a fictional Book of Mormon is being taken seriously by believing Latter-day Saints. Grant Hardy's talk at FAIR a couple of years ago shows you just how deeply the idea has penetrated into the community. Hardy himself does not subscribe to the idea, but he said, openly, that you were still a-okay as a Latter-day Saint if you still lived a good life. I suspect that Seariac sides with Hardy on this. But the Mopologists have not been open about the extent to which they consider Hardy's words to be fundamentally "apostate."

Look: her importance in all of this is going to come down to whether or not she's able to publish something with "interpreter." Dr. Peterson has already implied that she's not good enough. (Or, arguably, that her gender is wrong.) There really isn't much room for "growth" with FAIR. I mean, she is *running* their podcast already. Where would she go from there? Do they have peer review for the podcast? Because, you know: they *have* "peer review" at "Interpreter"!

It's unclear to me whether she wants to be taken seriously as a scholar and thinker, or whether she's looking for validation from the Mopologists. I wish her luck, in any case.
"[I]f, while hoping that everybody else will be honest and so forth, I can personally prosper through unethical and immoral acts without being detected and without risk, why should I not?." --Daniel Peterson, 6/4/14

Philo Sofee
God

Post by Philo Sofee »

She will end up here someday recounting the ridiculousness of what she wasted so much time in trying to accomplish.
Dr CamNC4Me
"Dr. Peterson and his Callithumpian cabal of BYU idiots have been marginalized by their own inevitable irrelevancy defending a fraud."

Kishkumen
Seedy Academician

Post by Kishkumen »

Look: her importance in all of this is going to come down to whether or not she's able to publish something with "interpreter." Dr. Peterson has already implied that she's not good enough. (Or, arguably, that her gender is wrong.) There really isn't much room for "growth" with FAIR. I mean, she is *running* their podcast already. Where would she go from there? Do they have peer review for the podcast? Because, you know: they *have* "peer review" at "Interpreter"!

It's unclear to me whether she wants to be taken seriously as a scholar and thinker, or whether she's looking for validation from the Mopologists. I wish her luck, in any case.
Hanna seems to me to be a serious, earnest, and tough young person. I emphasize young not to be condescending but to provide context for her eagerness and lack of experience in some respects. I am very happy to see her pursuing apologetics with such gusto in a male-dominated club. So far I like her a lot better than Hedelius (pardon me for forgetting her first name), who seems to have disappeared (from my awareness). Hanna has a long interview on YouTube about LDS theology, and she happily goes into the deep end of the pool there. I like that.
"Petition wasn’t meant to start a witch hunt as I’ve said 6000 times." ~ Hanna Seariac, LDS apologist

Doctor Scratch

Post by Doctor Scratch »

She definitely seems like somebody worth watching. I think she has far more potential that Rappleye and Smoot combined. But we will see. If the Chief Mopologist is being dismissive, that isn't a good sign. Most people don't respond well to wholesale rejection.
"[I]f, while hoping that everybody else will be honest and so forth, I can personally prosper through unethical and immoral acts without being detected and without risk, why should I not?." --Daniel Peterson, 6/4/14

Doctor Scratch

Post by Doctor Scratch »

Philo Sofee wrote:
Wed Aug 05, 2020 10:21 pm
She will end up here someday recounting the ridiculousness of what she wasted so much time in trying to accomplish.
Well, of course she's welcome here. She would represent a unique voice if she were to do so.

Gadianton
Hermit

Post by Gadianton »

Hanna,

Don't listen to DCP. If you submit something to Interpreter, it will get published. Especially if you take aim at the New MI in some fashion.

All that talk about them possibly not being interested is just the way he paints Interpreter as being exclusive, with a harsh peer-review process that few can survive.
Lou Midgley 08/20/2020: "...meat wad," and "cockroach" are pithy descriptions of human beings used by gemli? They were not fashioned by Professor Peterson.

LM 11/23/2018: one can explain away the soul of human beings...as...a Meat Unit, to use Professor Peterson's clever derogatory description of gemli's ideology.

moksha
God

Post by moksha »

Philo Sofee wrote:
Wed Aug 05, 2020 10:21 pm
It is a good thing to assume people will be truth-seekers rather than just doubling down with what is familiar. While she wants to teach members to be LDS apologists she will be exposing herself to a world of knowledge outside of FAIRMormon and perhaps the Shirts-Osborne-Hauglid Miracle can reoccur.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace

moksha
God

Post by moksha »

https://www.change.org/p/brigham-young- ... e_petition

Petition to make BYU more Christ-centered by Hanna Seariac.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace

Kishkumen
Seedy Academician

Post by Kishkumen »

Doctor Scratch wrote:
Thu Aug 06, 2020 9:51 pm
She definitely seems like somebody worth watching. I think she has far more potential that Rappleye and Smoot combined. But we will see. If the Chief Mopologist is being dismissive, that isn't a good sign. Most people don't respond well to wholesale rejection.
I recommend dipping a bit into her discussion with Christian apologist Aaron Shafovaloff on LDS theology.

See https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NpqEZRxalkE&t=6835s

Notice that the discussion is completely devoid of the bitterness, sniping, defensiveness, evasiveness, and bellicose attitude of classic Mopologetics. This looks like the birth of a new day to me. Sure, she engages in some culture warrior stuff with her BYU petition, but I see something very hopeful in her discussion with Aaron. This could be a new day with more confident, congenial, and productive discussions instead of bullying and hit-pieces.

We'll see.
"Petition wasn’t meant to start a witch hunt as I’ve said 6000 times." ~ Hanna Seariac, LDS apologist

Kishkumen
Seedy Academician

Post by Kishkumen »

Here is a very hopeful sign:

"I think the religious debates in America, where they fail is people will joke around in a rather mean and rude way, and they'll put other people down as opposed to being respectful when they debate." ~ Hanna Seariac, LDS apologist

See https://youtu.be/NpqEZRxalkE?t=8823

Temp. Admin.
Deacon

Post by Temp. Admin. »

(Dr. Shades here, posting under our "Temp. Admin." account.)
Kishkumen wrote:
Fri Aug 07, 2020 10:28 am
Here is a very hopeful sign:

"I think the religious debates in America, where they fail is people will joke around in a rather mean and rude way, and they'll put other people down as opposed to being respectful when they debate." ~ Hanna Seariac, LDS apologist
And with that comment, and especially with that point-of-view, she has excommunicated herself from the pool of potential Mopologetic protégés.

Does anyone know her e-mail address so I can send her a link to Sic et Non?

Gadianton
Hermit

Post by Gadianton »

Yeah, looks like I spoke too soon. This is a big problem for Mopologist career ambitions.
Lou Midgley 08/20/2020: "...meat wad," and "cockroach" are pithy descriptions of human beings used by gemli? They were not fashioned by Professor Peterson.

LM 11/23/2018: one can explain away the soul of human beings...as...a Meat Unit, to use Professor Peterson's clever derogatory description of gemli's ideology.

Doctor Scratch

Post by Doctor Scratch »

Gadianton wrote:
Fri Aug 07, 2020 3:55 pm
Yeah, looks like I spoke too soon. This is a big problem for Mopologist career ambitions.
We shall see. "Interpreter," at one point, had a special prize just for essays written by women. Of course, they abandoned/dissolved that prize (I think it was the Ruth Stevens Prize?), but the point (I guess) was to prove that they're not just a "boys' club." So, Seariac is clearly a litmus test for them. Do they court her, despite the fact that she has publicly decried meanness? Or do they shrug and look away and pretend like she doesn't exist?

Dr LOD
Teacher

Post by Dr LOD »

It seems the line is a bit blurry between the DezNat movement and some Mopologists. Likely we are just seeing an auxiliary arm.

https://wheatandtares.org/2020/08/08/de ... tradition/

Dr Moore
Endowed Chair of Historical Innovation

Post by Dr Moore »

Hanna wants every member to become an apologist, and she invites others to follow the lead of herself and Kwaku specifically on her latest FAIR podcast, “be an apologist”. I’m wondering if there isn’t a purposeful outreach to youth here by leveraging ambitious, youthful, non Ph.D. holders to “dumb down” the scholarship in order to make it more accessible to vulnerable, still-believing youth.

Because the apologetics pushed by Kwaku and Hanna are even less moored in scholarship than the published Mopologetics, there is more wiggle room to concoct weird explanations without the burden of proof or a modicum of academic standards. A dream come true for the Ph.D. laden gymnasts.