Have the Mopologists Found a New Protege?

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_moksha
_Emeritus

Re: Have the Mopologists Found a New Protege?

Post by _moksha »

https://www.change.org/p/brigham-young- ... e_petition

Petition to make BYU more Christ-centered by Hanna Seariac.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
_Kishkumen
_Emeritus

Post by _Kishkumen »

Doctor Scratch wrote:
Fri Aug 07, 2020 3:51 am
She definitely seems like somebody worth watching. I think she has far more potential that Rappleye and Smoot combined. But we will see. If the Chief Mopologist is being dismissive, that isn't a good sign. Most people don't respond well to wholesale rejection.
I recommend dipping a bit into her discussion with Christian apologist Aaron Shafovaloff on LDS theology.

See https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NpqEZRxalkE&t=6835s

Notice that the discussion is completely devoid of the bitterness, sniping, defensiveness, evasiveness, and bellicose attitude of classic Mopologetics. This looks like the birth of a new day to me. Sure, she engages in some culture warrior stuff with her BYU petition, but I see something very hopeful in her discussion with Aaron. This could be a new day with more confident, congenial, and productive discussions instead of bullying and hit-pieces.

We'll see.
"Petition wasn’t meant to start a witch hunt as I’ve said 6000 times." ~ Hanna Seariac, LDS apologist
_Kishkumen
_Emeritus

Post by _Kishkumen »

Here is a very hopeful sign:

"I think the religious debates in America, where they fail is people will joke around in a rather mean and rude way, and they'll put other people down as opposed to being respectful when they debate." ~ Hanna Seariac, LDS apologist

See https://youtu.be/NpqEZRxalkE?t=8823
"Petition wasn’t meant to start a witch hunt as I’ve said 6000 times." ~ Hanna Seariac, LDS apologist
_Temp. Admin.
_Emeritus

Post by _Temp. Admin. »

(Dr. Shades here, posting under our "Temp. Admin." account.)
Kishkumen wrote:
Fri Aug 07, 2020 4:28 pm
Here is a very hopeful sign:

"I think the religious debates in America, where they fail is people will joke around in a rather mean and rude way, and they'll put other people down as opposed to being respectful when they debate." ~ Hanna Seariac, LDS apologist
And with that comment, and especially with that point-of-view, she has excommunicated herself from the pool of potential Mopologetic protégés.

Does anyone know her e-mail address so I can send her a link to Sic et Non?
_Gadianton
_Emeritus

Post by _Gadianton »

Yeah, looks like I spoke too soon. This is a big problem for Mopologist career ambitions.
Lou Midgley 08/20/2020: "...meat wad," and "cockroach" are pithy descriptions of human beings used by gemli? They were not fashioned by Professor Peterson.

LM 11/23/2018: one can explain away the soul of human beings...as...a Meat Unit, to use Professor Peterson's clever derogatory description of gemli's ideology.
_Doctor Scratch
_Emeritus

Post by _Doctor Scratch »

Gadianton wrote:
Fri Aug 07, 2020 9:55 pm
Yeah, looks like I spoke too soon. This is a big problem for Mopologist career ambitions.
We shall see. "Interpreter," at one point, had a special prize just for essays written by women. Of course, they abandoned/dissolved that prize (I think it was the Ruth Stevens Prize?), but the point (I guess) was to prove that they're not just a "boys' club." So, Seariac is clearly a litmus test for them. Do they court her, despite the fact that she has publicly decried meanness? Or do they shrug and look away and pretend like she doesn't exist?
"[I]f, while hoping that everybody else will be honest and so forth, I can personally prosper through unethical and immoral acts without being detected and without risk, why should I not?." --Daniel Peterson, 6/4/14
_Dr LOD
_Emeritus

Post by _Dr LOD »

It seems the line is a bit blurry between the DezNat movement and some Mopologists. Likely we are just seeing an auxiliary arm.

https://wheatandtares.org/2020/08/08/de ... tradition/
_Dr Moore
_Emeritus

Post by _Dr Moore »

Hanna wants every member to become an apologist, and she invites others to follow the lead of herself and Kwaku specifically on her latest FAIR podcast, “be an apologist”. I’m wondering if there isn’t a purposeful outreach to youth here by leveraging ambitious, youthful, non PhD holders to “dumb down” the scholarship in order to make it more accessible to vulnerable, still-believing youth.

Because the apologetics pushed by Kwaku and Hanna are even less moored in scholarship than the published Mopologetics, there is more wiggle room to concoct weird explanations without the burden of proof or a modicum of academic standards. A dream come true for the PhD laden gymnasts.