Armand Mauss has died :(

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_malkie
_Emeritus

Armand Mauss has died :(

Post by _malkie »

Peggy Fletcher Stack's Facebook page wrote:Armand Mauss, a giant in the field of Mormon studies, died this morning of heart failure. He was a friend and mentor to many, including me. When I worked with Sunstone as a young student, Armand visited me in Berkeley and was very supportive and encouraging. He remained a source of insight and inspiration throughout my life and career.
She is encouraging those who knew Armand to share thoughts about him, anecdotes and impressions of the man and his work on her Facebook page.

https://www.Facebook.com/peggy.fletcher ... %2CO%2CP-R
NOMinal member

Maksutov: "... if you give someone else the means to always push your buttons, you're lost."
_honorentheos
_Emeritus

Re: Armand Mauss has died :(

Post by _honorentheos »

I'm very sorry to hear this, and my thoughts are with his family.

The Angel and the Beehive was an influential work that moved my thinking at a critical time in my own evolving beliefs. It may have been one of the first works I read that grounded aspects of the faith in reality I didn't realize existed entirely in a cloud of mythology and quips for me before. To be in the world but not of the world...
The world is always full of the sound of waves..but who knows the heart of the sea, a hundred feet down? Who knows it's depth?
~ Eiji Yoshikawa
_Kishkumen
_Emeritus

Post by _Kishkumen »

malkie wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 3:25 pm
She is encouraging those who knew Armand to share thoughts about him, anecdotes and impressions of the man and his work on her Facebook page.
I won't trot over to Facebook to make the following comment:

I appreciated that Mauss felt it was important that we protect ourselves from the abuses of institutions, including the LDS Church. Mauss, as far as I know, remained a faithful member of the LDS Church, but he had it right--and I think this is something people sometimes forget--when he said that remaining safe from abuse is a burden that falls upon us and not others.

The interesting thing is that you can't expect to hear that from the LDS Church, which is happy to allow its members to feel completely dependent on it in a very one-sided way.
Last edited by Guest on Mon Aug 03, 2020 2:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Petition wasn’t meant to start a witch hunt as I’ve said 6000 times." ~ Hanna Seariac, LDS apologist
_Simon Southerton
_Emeritus

Post by _Simon Southerton »

I just read his "testimony" on the FairMormon website. An interesting read and quite revealing. He certainly didn't think much of the behaviour of the church as an institution.
LDS apologetics --> "It's not the crime, it's the cover-up, which creates the scandal."
"Bigfoot is a crucial part of the ecosystem, if he exists. So let's all help keep Bigfoot possibly alive for future generations to enjoy, unless he doesn't exist." - Futurama