Why is Dan Peterson Vacationing During a Pandemic?

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Lemmie
_Emeritus

Re: Why is Dan Peterson Vacationing During a Pandemic?

Post by _Lemmie »

From page 1:
CDC wrote:
Travel increases your chances of getting and spreading COVID-19. We don’t know if one type of travel is safer than others; however, airports, bus stations, train stations, and rest stops are all places travelers can be exposed to the virus in the air and on surfaces. These are also places where it can be hard to social distance (keep 6 feet apart from other people).
And now for an object lesson:
Daniel Peterson wrote:
Driving this evening along the Trail Ridge Road in Rocky Mountain National Park, popular-level geological guidebook at the ready, we pulled over at the Rainbow Curve overlook for a fairly late dinner. It was drizzling slightly, and then a downpour hit. So we retreated to our car. When we had finished with our meal and were no longer able to see much, we decided to pull back out onto the road and go our way.

But it was not to be. Our car, which had given us no difficulties at all (and which we had just taken in for a total checkup a couple of weeks before) would not start. It was dead.

Wonderful!

And the hour was growing late. The overlook had been crowded but was now, thanks to both the hour and the deluge, pretty much deserted. No cell phone reception. Nearly 11,000 feet above sea level. Rain coming down in sheets. I began to think of the time, driving along on our honeymoon to our late wedding reception in California, that we had pulled off in the last little bit of daylight for a glimpse of the Mountain Meadows Massacre site. And the car wouldn’t start. A wonderful place to spend a night, no? And excellent honeymoon location. Finally, though, and mercifully, the car did come to life again.

Not this car, though. Not this time.

So I approached another car at the overlook and asked whether they might possibly have jumper cables.

I couldn’t have picked a better vehicle. There were two young guys in it from Ohio who were traveling with another car containing a guy and two girls. They were all counsellors or activities directors or something at Camp Walden (which, I take it, is in northern Michigan, not in Ohio) but, of course, summer camp is out of the question during this wonderful year of 2020.

Anyway, they were wonderful. Very helpful. (It took three widely-spaced attempts and some work on the battery terminals before the engine turned over.). Fortunately, the rain finally passed over and away, the last golden rays of the evening sun came out, the air was crystalline, and the view was magnificent. So was the ride back down to Estes Park, though we dared not stop.

There are very good people still to be found.

https://www.patheos.com/blogs/danpeters ... tland.html
So, stopped in a rest stop with KNOWN cell reception issues, DCP has car issues, resulting in him interacting extensively and over a lengthy period of time with multiple youth traveling from Ohio, a state currently on NEW York’s quarantine after travel from list.

He really needs to explain his thinking on this.
Clearly.
_Themis
_Emeritus

Post by _Themis »

Lemmie wrote:
Sun Aug 02, 2020 5:36 pm
So, stopped in a rest stop with KNOWN cell reception issues, DCP has car issues, resulting in him interacting extensively and over a lengthy period of time with multiple youth traveling from Ohio, a state currently on NEW York’s quarantine after travel from list.
LOL. It does appear he is implicating himself in not taking it as seriously as he should. While I can't blame him for seeking help, I noticed he said the overlook was crowded and that they ate dinner outside of the vehicle. Did he keep his distance from people and find a spot away from everyone? Could be hard if the area was crowded. It reminds me of some family members who think they are taking it seriously while at the same time don't want to wear masks, social distance as they should, and have many of the typical views as we see from many conservatives about the virus being overblown.
_Doctor CamNC4Me
_Emeritus

Post by _Doctor CamNC4Me »

It should be noted he also went to Dinosaur National Park, where the main attraction is encased in a building and is usually fairly packed by people from all over the world. You can't RV into a building, and additionally, given DCP's penchant for stuffing his face, I'm confident he was dining in public when and where it suited him. This coupled with putting his family into planes to come visit him basically shows he's not overly concerned with COVID-19. I hope for him and his family's sake he didn't pick anything up while vacationing.

- Doc
_Lemmie
_Emeritus

Post by _Lemmie »

Themis wrote:
Sun Aug 02, 2020 6:01 pm
Lemmie wrote:
Sun Aug 02, 2020 5:36 pm
LOL. It does appear he is implicating himself in not taking it as seriously as he should. While I can't blame him for seeking help...
I agree. In the moment, you have no other options. But when you travel in an area with a known lack of cell reception, it has to occur to you that if you had car trouble you would not be able to avoid interactions that are dangerous right now. A good reason to avoid nonessential travel.

It reminds me of some family members who think they are taking it seriously while at the same time don't want to wear masks, social distance as they should, and have many of the typical views as we see from many conservatives about the virus being overblown.
I agree. Where I am in the tri-state area, east coast, people are notoriously individualistic and stubborn, to the extent that I thought wearing masks would be objected to strenuously. And yet, the compliance here is virtually 100%. A friend pointed out that in areas where the hit was hard and fast and everyone knows someone who died from COVID 19, people may be more likely to cooperate with group expectations, against their personal preferences. An interesting phenomenon, to be sure.
_Themis
_Emeritus

Post by _Themis »

Lemmie wrote:
Sun Aug 02, 2020 6:36 pm
I agree. In the moment, you have no other options. But when you travel in an area with a known lack of cell reception, it has to occur to you that if you had car trouble you would not be able to avoid interactions that are dangerous right now. A good reason to avoid nonessential travel.
I suspect when he got his car checked out they did not clean the battery heads which probably had some corrosion which may have caused a poor connection from the rain event. He did try to make sure it was running in good order, and I don't know what the cell reception is in the area. If he takes the virus seriously he hopefully keep his distance, wore a mask, and let them work under the hood to get it going. Given that they probably ate their dinner probably sitting on the wall ledge in a crowded area I would suspect not.
I agree. Where I am in the tri-state area, east coast, people are notoriously individualistic and stubborn, to the extent that I thought wearing masks would be objected to strenuously. And yet, the compliance here is virtually 100%. A friend pointed out that in areas where the hit was hard and fast and everyone knows someone who died from COVID 19, people may be more likely to cooperate with group expectations, against their personal preferences. An interesting phenomenon, to be sure.
Well it is mandated in your area, and I suspect most will do it because it is the law. Some family members don't like wearing a mask in places like stores, but now that a mask mandate has come into place, they will most likely wear one. in my opinion mandating mask wearing will be a key area to fighting the spread. Unfortunately in my province it has been left to municipalities to decide so far.
_Doctor Scratch
_Emeritus

Post by _Doctor Scratch »

Well, it would seem that any notion of DCP being extra-cautious during this vacation have been laid to rest. And it didn't stop there:
SeN wrote:This evening (Saturday evening) we participated in the showing of our Witnesses dramatic film on a full screen in a commercial theater at Thanksgiving Point. There were twenty of us scattered about the largish auditorium, and masks were plentiful. The movie still needs to have its sound and its color regularized, and one scene remains to be filmed, and there will certainly be some additional tweaks — we had some very good comments tonight — but it’s essentially finished. (The documentary and the “snippets,” the short documentary features, still remain to be done.)
Was this at the Megaplex Theaters in Lehi, I wonder? If so, that is a theater complex that is actually *open* right now, screening older films such as Jurassic Park and Raiders of the Lost Ark. So, basically, all sorts of people are patronizing this establishment--or, at least, they theoretically *could*. (Are there other movie theaters in Thanksgiving Point?) So, why put these 20 people at risk? The science on the coronavirus clearly states that the risk is exponentially higher for people who are indoors like that. And they likely would have gone into other, common spaces, right? How long is the film? What are the odds that someone would have needed to use the public restroom?

And all of this could have been avoided. They could have screened it at home. (Big screen home television sets these days can be very, very nice indeed.) Or, they could have done an outdoor screening--something which, If I recall correctly, has precedent with the Mopologists. I think they've projected old, anti-Mormon films on blankets in somebody's backyard before.

Regardless, what was the point of this, exactly? Why, if the film has been pushed back into 2021, was it necessary to drag people into an active movie theater complex during a surge in the pandemic? Clearly, some people have other priorities.
"[I]f, while hoping that everybody else will be honest and so forth, I can personally prosper through unethical and immoral acts without being detected and without risk, why should I not?." --Daniel Peterson, 6/4/14
_Dr Exiled
_Emeritus

Post by _Dr Exiled »

Doctor Scratch wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 2:40 am
Well, it would seem that any notion of DCP being extra-cautious during this vacation have been laid to rest. And it didn't stop there:
SeN wrote:This evening (Saturday evening) we participated in the showing of our Witnesses dramatic film on a full screen in a commercial theater at Thanksgiving Point. There were twenty of us scattered about the largish auditorium, and masks were plentiful. The movie still needs to have its sound and its color regularized, and one scene remains to be filmed, and there will certainly be some additional tweaks — we had some very good comments tonight — but it’s essentially finished. (The documentary and the “snippets,” the short documentary features, still remain to be done.)
Was this at the Megaplex Theaters in Lehi, I wonder? If so, that is a theater complex that is actually *open* right now, screening older films such as Jurassic Park and Raiders of the Lost Ark. So, basically, all sorts of people are patronizing this establishment--or, at least, they theoretically *could*. (Are there other movie theaters in Thanksgiving Point?) So, why put these 20 people at risk? The science on the coronavirus clearly states that the risk is exponentially higher for people who are indoors like that. And they likely would have gone into other, common spaces, right? How long is the film? What are the odds that someone would have needed to use the public restroom?

And all of this could have been avoided. They could have screened it at home. (Big screen home television sets these days can be very, very nice indeed.) Or, they could have done an outdoor screening--something which, If I recall correctly, has precedent with the Mopologists. I think they've projected old, anti-Mormon films on blankets in somebody's backyard before.

Regardless, what was the point of this, exactly? Why, if the film has been pushed back into 2021, was it necessary to drag people into an active movie theater complex during a surge in the pandemic? Clearly, some people have other priorities.
DCP could have sent the screening to the 20 individually so they could then review it individually in their homes and away from covid-19 dangers ....

Anyway, looks like a film that doesn't see the light of day at this point or goes straight to video.
"Religion is about providing human community in the guise of solving problems that don’t exist or failing to solve problems that do and seeking to reconcile these contradictions and conceal the failures in bogus explanations otherwise known as theology." - Kishkumen 
_Themis
_Emeritus

Post by _Themis »

Doctor Scratch wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 2:40 am
And it didn't stop there:
I am going to disagree here a little bit. He mentioned it was at large theater with only 20 people and masks plentiful. I would think that meant most to all were wearing masks, and if DCP was wearing a mask then I would say he was taking the virus seriously. I don't think one has to stay home other then getting food to be considered taking the virus seriously. I doubt everyone here is doing that. Taking it seriously is about risk assessment for each activity, and a large theater with only 20 people and everyone wearing masks would move it into a lower risk activity. One of the higher risks activities is getting your hair done, and we have some examples of everyone wearing masks and possibly face shields resulted in no infections from a couple of hairdressers who worked on over a 100 people while asymptomatic with covid 19. I wouldn't get my hair done, but if precautions are taken seriously it will significantly reduce transmission hopefully to below 1.
_Doctor Scratch
_Emeritus

Post by _Doctor Scratch »

Physics Guy:

You were correct about Dr. Peterson having issues with me calling him "human garbage." Notice how he waited a while before trying to milk it for sympathy:
Sic et Non wrote:This angered my most obsessive online critics, nonetheless. (Big surprise!) They pronounced me selfish, arrogant, hypocritical, and indifferent to the suffering and possible death of those upon whom my baneful shadow might fall. On several occasions, one of them labeled me a “murderer.” My Malevolent Stalker, unusually candid about the judgment of me that has inspired him to devote daily time to condemning me for the past fifteen years, declared me “human garbage.”

Some people are rather strange.
I stand by my observations.And yet the thing of it is, he seems to understand the basic crux of the issue:
Daniel Peterson wrote:We’re particularly concerned, not only that we not contract COVID-19 ourselves but that we not in any way risk transmitting the coronavirus to my wife’s father, who is quite healthy for his age but who is well into his mid-nineties.

Still, we did, for quite specific reasons that I will not outline here, take two substantial trips this past summer, one to Colorado and one to the Oregon coast.

(My most implacable critics will demand to know those reasons, of course. They somehow seem to imagine that they’ve earned the right to audit my personal finances and to subject me to an invasive public moral colonoscopy and, absent such examinations, to pronounce me guilty. I don’t grant them that right. And the guilty verdict is a foregone conclusion in any event.)
LOL @ "moral colonoscopy." Look: you can either announce the "quite specific reasons," or just admit that you went on vacation because you needed a breather. You wanted to have fun. The rest of us will make sacrifices for the sake of the greater good, but for whatever reason, Dr. Peterson has some "reason" why this doesn't apply to him. Maybe he's hinting here at mental health pressures? Like, he needed to get out in order to preserve his sanity? Well, admitting that would involve a level of public vulnerability that he's unwilling to share (by his own admission). So, in short: he went on vacation during a pandemic, in clear opposition to the advice of health experts, for no reason other than he wanted to have fun and feels that he's 'entitled' to a vacation, and thus he is "human garbage."

(All he can hope for at this point is that my remarks will be 'censored' in the same way as Prof. Midgley's recent remarks about Dr. Ritner. Which is to say, someone will say, "Hey, maybe you shouldn't say that?" Except that Physics Guy has already said that about my labeling of Dr. Peterson as "human garbage." Your move, Prof. P. If all Midgley gets is a slap on the wrist--and you are saying that you fear a lawsuit!--then how do your complaints have merit?)
"[I]f, while hoping that everybody else will be honest and so forth, I can personally prosper through unethical and immoral acts without being detected and without risk, why should I not?." --Daniel Peterson, 6/4/14
_Shulem
_Emeritus

Post by _Shulem »

Daniel Peterson wrote:On several occasions, one of them labeled me a “murderer.”
Hey, hold on there professor. This is what was said:
Shulem wrote:DCP has set the example. The more that follow his example the more will get sick -- and ultimately die. I guess, in some kind of twisted way, you could say he is guilty of -- murder in the lowest degree?
My statement ended with a "guess" wherein it could be construed someone (you/anyone) could say Peterson was guilty of murder in the lowest degree -- and on that, I ended with a QUESTION MARK, which means it's an open ended idea but not a definitive statement.

Then, we have this:
Shulem wrote: He's out and about breathing his potentially contaminated breath on poor helpless animals.

If and ever I see a dead fox on the side of the road, I'll be thinking about how Peterson killed a fox when he selfishly went out and spread his contaminated breath and polluted mother earth.

Murderer!

Reminiscing on how you killed a fox because you had bad breath doesn't make you a human murderer but perhaps a murderer of the lowest degree?

Gollum is the one who called you a murderer. Not me. The titled above the photo simply introduced him for what he was saying.

You owe me an apology, professor.

I'm waiting.

:biggrin: