DCP Attacks Kerry Shirts, Admits to Problematic Editing at FARMS

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Dr Exiled
_Emeritus

Re: DCP Attacks Kerry Shirts, Admits to Problematic Editing at FARMS

Post by _Dr Exiled »

Kerry isn't on their team any more, so he was supposedly always less than or suspect now.
"Religion is about providing human community in the guise of solving problems that don’t exist or failing to solve problems that do and seeking to reconcile these contradictions and conceal the failures in bogus explanations otherwise known as theology." - Kishkumen 
_moksha
_Emeritus

Post by _moksha »

I figured a scholarly paper on the same subject as that day's blog article would not only serve to heal the rift between Dr. Peterson and Kerry, it would make the Interpreter look good to have a paper that could be quoted elsewhere.

Kerry deserves some much due recognition.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
_malkie
_Emeritus

Post by _malkie »

Dr Exiled wrote:
Thu Jul 23, 2020 3:47 pm
Kerry isn't on their team any more, so he was supposedly always less than or suspect now.
The Interpreter has always been at war with Kerry.
NOMinal member

Maksutov: "... if you give someone else the means to always push your buttons, you're lost."
_Dr Exiled
_Emeritus

Post by _Dr Exiled »

malkie wrote:
Fri Jul 24, 2020 12:57 am
Dr Exiled wrote:
The Interpreter has always been at war with Kerry.
Perhaps I don't know the history with Interpreter and Kerry? I thought he participated with them for a while until he saw the light.

Are you saying that when Kerry was consorting with the Interpreter crowd, he was their enemy nonetheless?
"Religion is about providing human community in the guise of solving problems that don’t exist or failing to solve problems that do and seeking to reconcile these contradictions and conceal the failures in bogus explanations otherwise known as theology." - Kishkumen 
_Doctor Scratch
_Emeritus

Post by _Doctor Scratch »

Kishkumen wrote:
Thu Jul 23, 2020 1:32 pm
Kerry's work on tree symbolism is a helluva lot better than Dr. Easton-Black poorly executed review of Park's book on Nauvoo. So, I don't think much of this excuse that what Kerry does is somehow not up to Interpreter's high standards. I also recall that interminable piece on Enoch that Interpreter published. It was written by some non-LDS Ph.D.. Now, it was interesting, but it was also very odd and convoluted. I don't see how Kerry's work would be less appropriate for Interpreter than that.
Very well said, Reverend. I have been a huge Kerry fan dating clear back to his FAIR Conference videos. Those were epic, and I cannot tell you the sheer pleasure I got from the opportunity to review them. That level of enthusiasm and passion is infectious. He really won me over in that regard. I am even willing to go so far as to say that those videos were Huell Howser-esque.
"[I]f, while hoping that everybody else will be honest and so forth, I can personally prosper through unethical and immoral acts without being detected and without risk, why should I not?." --Daniel Peterson, 6/4/14
_Jersey Girl
_Emeritus

Post by _Jersey Girl »

Dr Exiled wrote:
Yes.
Failure is not falling down but refusing to get up.
Chinese Proverb
_moksha
_Emeritus

Post by _moksha »

Doctor Scratch wrote:
Fri Jul 24, 2020 4:29 am
I have been a huge Kerry fan dating clear back to his FAIR Conference videos. Those were epic, and I cannot tell you the sheer pleasure I got from the opportunity to review them. That level of enthusiasm and passion is infectious. He really won me over in that regard.
You can say that again. Kerry's videos put a human-like face on the FAIR Conference, plus it provided a very rare backside cameo of Louis Midgley with his quills retracted.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
_Philo Sofee
_Emeritus

Post by _Philo Sofee »

Interesting thread all. I can't possibly imagine why I would even want to publish with such a place as Interpreter, but the idea of publishing that paper is fun. I am sure there are far more credible sources to go with than brainwashed, phony peer reviewed Mormon journals....
Dr CamNC4Me
"Dr. Peterson and his Callithumpian cabal of BYU idiots have been marginalized by their own inevitable irrelevancy defending a fraud."
_Paloma
_Emeritus

Post by _Paloma »

moksha wrote:
Fri Jul 24, 2020 7:08 am
Doctor Scratch wrote:
Fri Jul 24, 2020 4:29 am
I have been a huge Kerry fan dating clear back to his FAIR Conference videos. Those were epic, and I cannot tell you the sheer pleasure I got from the opportunity to review them. That level of enthusiasm and passion is infectious. He really won me over in that regard.
You can say that again. Kerry's videos put a human-like face on the FAIR Conference, plus it provided a very rare backside cameo of Louis Midgley with his quills retracted.
Yes ... I agree in spades!

It's not hard to like LDS folk as highlighted through Kerry's videos, and in general!

What IS unlikeable is when LDS apologists start "having fun" with people they've identified as opponents. Then, any sense of true warmth, humility, grace and genuine "fun" go out the window because people are meant to be ridiculed and put in their place (i.e. demeaned).

So often, through the years, I've seen the apologists characterize themselves as "having fun" when they're in defensive and/or aggressive apologist mode. This may be offered as proof that Mormons don't need to be staid or boring, perhaps little realizing they don't need to be derisive either. The humour that they use as a shield is not a thing of beauty or joy, but smacks so much more of "in-jokes" within their own mutual-appreciation club.