The Extent of LDS Sacredness?

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_honorentheos
_Emeritus

Re: The Extent of LDS Sacredness?

Post by _honorentheos »

moksha wrote:
Wed Jun 17, 2020 2:34 am
DanielPeterson Mod dCyl •
Elsewhere, Moksha is professing to be genuinely puzzled as to why some of us here found what he had posted offensive.

Here's a suggestion for him: The denizens of the Shades Legacy Mockery and Derision Board may not be the most reliable counselors as to what might offend believing Latter-day Saints.
I was genuinely surprised at the SeN reaction. I had to read it twice just to make certain that I had not revealed actual Temple content with the sure sign of Anubis. Barring that I wondered if perhaps I was an offender for two words or if this was a joke. I asked here to determine which. I could not ask at SeN when everyone was in a frenzy. While you may doubt the people here, I knew they would not be shouting, "Get a rope". I did not want to add fuel to that fire.
Honestly, moksha, while the intensity and tone of the reaction is uniquely SeN, I would expect many faithful members would feel uncomfortable with a phrase from the temple being modified and used that way. I've seen members express concern over direct, innocuous quotes that aren't explicitly recognizable being used in a casually way. That example being someone using, "Let us go down" and someone following with, "We will go down" when getting ready to leave someplace comes to mind where the two using the phrases were asked not to again and given a mini-lecture about making light of sacred things. For someone to use a recognizable temple phrase and add a joke hand gesture? Of course it's going to put out lightning rods for some people.

While I don't think it's wrong to say what you said, I do wonder about you claiming to be genuinely surprised by the reaction.
The world is always full of the sound of waves..but who knows the heart of the sea, a hundred feet down? Who knows it's depth?
~ Eiji Yoshikawa