Peterson dances on Hitchens????? memory

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Res Ipsa
_Emeritus

Re: Peterson dances on Hitchens’ memory

Post by _Res Ipsa »

You’ll have to pry my snark out of my cold, dead hands.
​“The ideal subject of totalitarian rule is not the convinced Nazi or the dedicated communist, but people for whom the distinction between fact and fiction, true and false, no longer exists.”

― Hannah Arendt, The Origins of Totalitarianism, 1951
_mentalgymnast
_Emeritus

Post by _mentalgymnast »

Physics Guy wrote:
Wed Jun 10, 2020 6:55 pm
I can't help feeling that some people here would actually be a bit freer and happier for just shrugging off Peterson and whatever he stands for.
This board wouldn’t even exist if it wasn’t for the elevated sense of ‘higher criticism’ that folks here believe themselves qualified to engage in. By necessity it is required that there be those from the past and in the present who are put in stocks and/or at the whipping post within the public square and abused incessantly.

Regards,
MG
_Lemmie
_Emeritus

Post by _Lemmie »

huckelberry wrote:
Sat Jun 13, 2020 5:49 pm
I have a question wrote:
Thu Jun 11, 2020 8:27 am
But he’s not criticising what Hitchens wrote. He’s merely posting a list of things that he claims are positive and brought about by religion, put labels it as material for the Hitchens Memorial File. There was no need to mention Hitchens at all in the blog post. It’s out of place and snide.
It could be considered that the memorial file could be a gesture of respect. Even though Hitchens's views are contrary to Peterson's Peterson shares the style of controversy. I may opine that Hitchens leads in skill in snark and attack but that would not prevent Peterson from appreciating it.

It would appear to me that Peterson would view his list of positives for religion as understated so his reference to Hitchens is snark in the shared style.
Lol. Well under-said.