Page 5 of 5

Re: Dan Peterson Allows the "N-Word" on "SeN" during Floyd Protests

Posted: Tue Jul 28, 2020 10:21 am
by Dr LOD
In the latest bit of Mormon victim mentality, DCP comments on the latest about the Book of Mormon musical.
In a particular historical moment that's intensely focused on questions of racism, a movie of the Book of Mormon musical might be very problematic. It ridicules Latter-day Saints and their faith, of course, but it's arguably deeply, deeply racist toward African blacks.

I've always been quite surprised at how unconcerned people -- especially "progressives" and secular critics of the Church -- have been about the (to me) quite overt and unabashed racism of the musical. Perhaps it's just that the racism is outweighed by the sheer joy of zinging the silly, reactionary, and unfashionable Mormons.

http://disq.us/p/2athyrr
DCP misses the major point of how things were presented in the musical. The whole thing was a parody of racist Mormon thought and culture. This was presented on how the missionaries saw the people they were working around. So yes there were deeply racist things about people in Africa in the musical, but this is a reflection on the exact warped thinking that many missionaries arrive into the mission field start with. As the story in the musical unfolds the protagonist does change how he sees the people he was sent to serve.

As far as crazy stuff, I didn't go to Africa, but did go to a similar new frontier area for the LDS church. Someone could have easily recast the Book of Mormon musical to my mission.

Re: Dan Peterson Allows the "N-Word" on "SeN" during Floyd Protests

Posted: Tue Jul 28, 2020 11:03 am
by Everybody Wang Chung
Dr LOD wrote:
Tue Jul 28, 2020 10:21 am
In the latest bit of Mormon victim mentality, DCP comments on the latest about the Book of Mormon musical.
In a particular historical moment that's intensely focused on questions of racism, a movie of the Book of Mormon musical might be very problematic. It ridicules Latter-day Saints and their faith, of course, but it's arguably deeply, deeply racist toward African blacks.

I've always been quite surprised at how unconcerned people -- especially "progressives" and secular critics of the Church -- have been about the (to me) quite overt and unabashed racism of the musical. Perhaps it's just that the racism is outweighed by the sheer joy of zinging the silly, reactionary, and unfashionable Mormons.

http://disq.us/p/2athyrr
DCP misses the major point of how things were presented in the musical. The whole thing was a parody of racist Mormon thought and culture. This was presented on how the missionaries saw the people they were working around. So yes there were deeply racist things about people in Africa in the musical, but this is a reflection on the exact warped thinking that many missionaries arrive into the mission field start with. As the story in the musical unfolds the protagonist does change how he sees the people he was sent to serve.

As far as crazy stuff, I didn't go to Africa, but did go to a similar new frontier area for the LDS church. Someone could have easily recast the Book of Mormon musical to my mission.
DCP, by his own admission, hasn't even bothered to see the musical. But that hasn't stopped him from trying to trash it at every opportunity.

How many times have we seen DCP claim that one is unqualified to comment or express their opinion unless they've read the book he is discussing?

Folks, you can't make this stuff up.

Re: Dan Peterson Allows the "N-Word" on "SeN" during Floyd Protests

Posted: Tue Jul 28, 2020 12:05 pm
by moksha
Social commentary through satire is not something everyone appreciates. I suspect the LDS Church will help push the idea that the Book of Mormon Musical is racist. There is currently no physical evidence that this action will cause the earth's core to heat up to any measurable degree.

Re: Dan Peterson Allows the "N-Word" on "SeN" during Floyd Protests

Posted: Tue Jul 28, 2020 12:27 pm
by Doctor Scratch
Dr LOD wrote:
Tue Jul 28, 2020 10:21 am
In the latest bit of Mormon victim mentality, DCP comments on the latest about the Book of Mormon musical.
In a particular historical moment that's intensely focused on questions of racism, a movie of the Book of Mormon musical might be very problematic. It ridicules Latter-day Saints and their faith, of course, but it's arguably deeply, deeply racist toward African blacks.

I've always been quite surprised at how unconcerned people -- especially "progressives" and secular critics of the Church -- have been about the (to me) quite overt and unabashed racism of the musical. Perhaps it's just that the racism is outweighed by the sheer joy of zinging the silly, reactionary, and unfashionable Mormons.

http://disq.us/p/2athyrr
DCP misses the major point of how things were presented in the musical. The whole thing was a parody of racist Mormon thought and culture. This was presented on how the missionaries saw the people they were working around. So yes there were deeply racist things about people in Africa in the musical, but this is a reflection on the exact warped thinking that many missionaries arrive into the mission field start with. As the story in the musical unfolds the protagonist does change how he sees the people he was sent to serve.
That was my reaction as well, Dr. LOD. It's just the usual Mopologetics: he's willing to condemn racism if he can get a "twofer" out of it. Because hey, if The Book of Mormon musical is dismissed for racism, then that neatly defuses criticisms of Mormonism too, right?

But it's worth pointing out that the comment you cite comes from a blog post allegedly supporting the film Heart of Africa. Look at this passage from DCP:
Sic et Non wrote: I hope for its success for many reasons.

It is, for example, the first feature film that was produced jointly by a Congolese and American team, the first feature film that was produced and filmed entirely within the Democratic Republic of the Congo, and, obviously, the first Congolese feature film to be released in movie theaters in the United States of America.
How much of this is true? If you have the inclination, you can always spend some time searching through the films listed at the Pan African Film Festival, which has been screening feature films from all over Africa for close to 30 years. Oddly, though, for DCP, only Heart of Africa, which was co-produced by white, BYU-affiliated Mormons, is the "first feature film." (To provide just one counter-example, here's a Hollywood Reporter review from 2017 of a "feature film" that was directed Dieudo Hamadi, a Congolese director. To claim that Heart of Africa is "the first Congolese feature film to be released in movie theaters in the United States" is akin to the old racist claim that Christopher Columbus "discovered" America. It's just flat-out wrong.

Perhaps DCP wants to split hairs over what he means by "feature film" (like, do documentaries somehow "not count"?) or "released in movie theaters," but I think he's put his foot in his mouth yet again on this issue.

Re: Dan Peterson Allows the "N-Word" on "SeN" during Floyd Protests

Posted: Tue Jul 28, 2020 12:58 pm
by Dr Exiled
I think it rich that he remains blind to the racism in the Book of Mormon itself. However, I am sure in his mind the racist passages aren't racist because "white" is changed to "pure" and "skin of darkness" laughingly means dark animal skins to some incredibly delusional apologists. If you claim something enough times openly and loudly and have a chorus of cheerleaders behind you, words change meaning, magically.

Re: Dan Peterson Allows the "N-Word" on "SeN" during Floyd Protests

Posted: Tue Jul 28, 2020 5:52 pm
by Dr LOD
Dr Exiled wrote:
Tue Jul 28, 2020 12:58 pm
I think it rich that he remains blind to the racism in the Book of Mormon itself. However, I am sure in his mind the racist passages aren't racist because "white" is changed to "pure" and "skin of darkness" laughingly means dark animal skins to some incredibly delusional apologists. If you claim something enough times openly and loudly and have a chorus of cheerleaders behind you, words change meaning, magically.
That is the part he does not get. The racism present in the Book of Mormon musical is just a exaggeration and parody of the already inherent racism in LDS culture.

Re: Dan Peterson Allows the "N-Word" on "SeN" during Floyd Protests

Posted: Tue Jul 28, 2020 6:01 pm
by Philo Sofee
moksha wrote:
Tue Jul 28, 2020 12:05 pm
Social commentary through satire is not something everyone appreciates. I suspect the LDS Church will help push the idea that the Book of Mormon Musical is racist. There is currently no physical evidence that this action will cause the earth's core to heat up to any measurable degree.
Well DUH! If you ignore the spiritual dimension, then of course, there won't be any heating of the core. What has happened to your testimony? :biggrin:

Re: Dan Peterson Allows the "N-Word" on "SeN" during Floyd Protests

Posted: Tue Jul 28, 2020 9:59 pm
by Doctor Scratch
Dr LOD wrote:
Tue Jul 28, 2020 5:52 pm
Dr Exiled wrote:
Tue Jul 28, 2020 12:58 pm
I think it rich that he remains blind to the racism in the Book of Mormon itself. However, I am sure in his mind the racist passages aren't racist because "white" is changed to "pure" and "skin of darkness" laughingly means dark animal skins to some incredibly delusional apologists. If you claim something enough times openly and loudly and have a chorus of cheerleaders behind you, words change meaning, magically.
That is the part he does not get. The racism present in the Book of Mormon musical is just a exaggeration and parody of the already inherent racism in LDS culture.
Exactly. The Mopologists' track record on understanding humor is really quite abominable.