Dan Peterson Allows the "N-Word" on "SeN" during Floyd Protests

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
Shulem
Son of Perdition

Re: Dan Peterson Allows the "N-Word" on "SeN" during Floyd Protests

Post by Shulem »

ldsfaqs wrote:They aren't, and haven't been for some 60 years!
Church say black man someday hold priesthood. Maybe next life or when Adam come back. Black man lucky.

Doctor Scratch
B.H. Roberts Chair of Mopologetic Studies

Post by Doctor Scratch »

Boy, I just don't know what to say about this one:
Louis Midgley wrote:Those posting utter rubbish included Dr. VeloBurrinho, Nik_S, Gary, EV, Lance Hemmert, Dr. Detroit, Gadianton P. Robbers, Moksha, and, last and least, Moem on.

I urge those who tried to defend me, to report their experiences. And everyone else will be, I am confident, shocked at the filth directed at me.

Edit: NO! I do not want to continue this disgusting conversation. I really do need to move on. I have, I must admit, felt like I "cannot breath" because of what started with Dr. VehoBurrinho back in late October.
"[I]f, while hoping that everybody else will be honest and so forth, I can personally prosper through unethical and immoral acts without being detected and without risk, why should I not?." --Daniel Peterson, 6/4/14

Gadianton
Hermit

Post by Gadianton »

I'm considering starting an new thread here continuing this conversation since I've been called out by my full God-given name. I have no problem laying out what I said on the blog and Mr. Midgley's responses, and I'd be honored for anyone posting at Sic et Non to respond and show me what I said that was so awful. I think I was quite fair.
Lou Midgley 08/20/2020: "...meat wad," and "cockroach" are pithy descriptions of human beings used by gemli? They were not fashioned by Professor Peterson.

LM 11/23/2018: one can explain away the soul of human beings...as...a Meat Unit, to use Professor Peterson's clever derogatory description of gemli's ideology.

Doctor Scratch

Post by Doctor Scratch »

Gadianton wrote:
Thu Jun 11, 2020 9:50 pm
I'm considering starting an new thread here continuing this conversation since I've been called out by my full God-given name. I have no problem laying out what I said on the blog and Mr. Midgley's responses, and I'd be honored for anyone posting at Sic et Non to respond and show me what I said that was so awful. I think I was quite fair.
I do, too, Dean Robbers, and think that your idea is a good one.
"[I]f, while hoping that everybody else will be honest and so forth, I can personally prosper through unethical and immoral acts without being detected and without risk, why should I not?." --Daniel Peterson, 6/4/14

Dr LOD
Teacher

Post by Dr LOD »

Doctor Scratch wrote:
Thu Jun 11, 2020 9:28 pm
Boy, I just don't know what to say about this one:
Louis Midgley wrote:Those posting utter rubbish included Dr. VeloBurrinho, Nik_S, Gary, EV, Lance Hemmert, Dr. Detroit, Gadianton P. Robbers, Moksha, and, last and least, Moem on.

I urge those who tried to defend me, to report their experiences. And everyone else will be, I am confident, shocked at the filth directed at me.

Edit: NO! I do not want to continue this disgusting conversation. I really do need to move on. I have, I must admit, felt like I "cannot breath" because of what started with Dr. VehoBurrinho back in late October.

Let’s see I’ve been banned there for months.

Could it be all the stuff in the news about race that keeps “harrowing up his soul”

Or maybe he is having a some difficulty with the book reviews he was threatening to write on Colvin and Brooks.

Now for the elephant in his post.

WTF is it with him saying “I can’t breathe”

That is rich for a privileged white male university professor to use the line “I can’t breathe.” That is a a comical and obscene version of cultural appropriation.

So how does this experience for him, being called out for racist actions of religious cultural appropriation. Compare to what those black men went through being suffocated. Or the fear that sits in every black person has that something bad will happen to them or their loved ones.

Sic et Non guys get the Professor a therapist.

Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

Swoonin' Lou hates the "pounding" Dr. LOD has, uh, given to him?

"Professor Peterson knows exactly how that trashing has gotten to me. And especially those four month being pounded by Dr. VeloBurrinho."

Yes, being gently reminded as a public figure of one's own cultural and racial (is race still a thing? I can't tell any more) biases is certainly a "pounding!" Poor, poor lyin' Louis C. Midgley, a retired professor based out of Provo, Utah. Poor little thing. :(

- Doc

Lemmie
God

Post by Lemmie »

Louis Midgley Moksha • 16 hours ago • edited
Moksha: Please set out exactly the context in which you posted that disgusting comment. And also please indicate that the board is owned and operated by a prison guard, who was there up and down voting, as his way of indicating his approval or disapproval of that false, disgusting comments 46 times. I previously thought that he had voted 42 times, but I counted again yesterday and I had missed four votes.

https://www.patheos.com/blogs/danpeters ... 4950640442
Wow. Midgley actually went back to Colvin’s and RE-COUNTED the votes by a poster, across at least 70 comments. He has apparently divvied them up into Up and Down votes on the basis of whether he thinks they approve or disapprove of him.

If his conscience hurts this much he should consider not trashing so many people, so constantly, in such mean-spirited ways.

Lemmie
God

Post by Lemmie »

Dr LOD wrote:
Thu Jun 11, 2020 11:14 pm
Now for the elephant in his post.

WTF is it with him saying “I can’t breathe”

That is rich for a privileged white male university professor to use the line “I can’t breathe.” That is a a comical and obscene version of cultural appropriation.

So how does this experience for him, being called out for racist actions of religious cultural appropriation. Compare to what those black men went through being suffocated. Or the fear that sits in every black person has that something bad will happen to them or their loved ones.

Sic et Non guys get the Professor a therapist.
The fact that in his phrase “I felt like I ‘cannot breath’ (sic)“, he put the inner part in quotes tells me he knew exactly what he was saying. That’s despicable.

Lemmie
God

Post by Lemmie »

A new thread would be great. Especially since Midgley’s habit of re-telling a story until gross exaggeration blooms into florid lies is in full evidence.

And when I noticed Modsha opining, I was suddenly reminded of all that hatred about about the glorious experience that seventeen of us had fourteen days, ten of which were in New Zealand.
Hatred about 17 people and their fourteen day experience?

Midgley is like a little kid, backed into a corner, who suddenly is sure that “an alien landed in the backyard and ate ALL THE COOKIES, mommy. It wasn’t me, mommy, It wasn’t!” Little kids grow out of it. Midgley didn’t.

No Midge-boy. The comments on the KiwiMormon blog were about one person, and concerning one thing. You, and your stalking of Gina Colvin.

Kishkumen
Seedy Academician

Post by Kishkumen »

I hate to feel compelled to call people out for their utterly baffling obtuseness about racism in America, but here we are. It is grotesque for any white person to compare their experience and the struggle they have gone through with the experience of Black Americans and First Nations peoples. The United States was built on the blood, sweat, tears, suffering, torture, dehumanization, murder, and traffic in Black and native peoples. Those who exploited these people for their own benefit and enrichment were and are white. The struggle continues. The racism continues. The exploitation continues. The white obliviousness continues. Anyone who flippantly appropriates the experience of Black and First Nations peoples needs to repent.

The United States of America was founded as a nation of white supremacy. It continues to be a nation of white supremacy. We have a long way to go before it ceases to be a nation of white supremacy. Whites have systematically stolen from, excluded, raped, murdered, and razed Black and First Nations communities. The first bombs to be dropped on American soil were dropped by whites on the thriving black community of Greenwood in Tulsa, OK in June or 1921, 99 years ago, and over half a century after the Emancipation Proclamation.

The LDS Church has not recanted the doctrines that supported the denial of the priesthood to Black Americans. It has not apologized for them. It has not acknowledged that the denial of the priesthood to Blacks was wrong and not of God. Mormonism is a white supremacist religion, and it will continue to be so long as its overtly racist texts and teachings are not corrected. The first, best step that could be taken is to acknowledge the fallibility of scripture and prophets, whose errors can be corrected today in light of a better, nobler understanding.

What should a white Mormon say when the topic of racism comes up? I can't say for certain, but it is probably something like this: "I am ready to listen and learn. I want to be a part of the solution by working with oppressed peoples toward true equality under the law and substantive equality of opportunity."
"Petition wasn’t meant to start a witch hunt as I’ve said 6000 times." ~ Hanna Seariac, LDS apologist

Philo Sofee
God

Post by Philo Sofee »

Very well said Kish.....I'm with you....... It's an ugly topic, but only because whites are so ugly with it.
Dr CamNC4Me
"Dr. Peterson and his Callithumpian cabal of BYU idiots have been marginalized by their own inevitable irrelevancy defending a fraud."

moksha
God

Post by moksha »

Kishkumen wrote:
Fri Jun 12, 2020 9:52 am
The first bombs to be dropped on American soil were dropped by whites on the thriving black community of Greenwood in Tulsa, OK in June or 1921, 99 years ago, and over half a century after the Emancipation Proclamation.
https://www.tulsaworld.com/news/revisit ... e9e22.html
What should a white Mormon say when the topic of racism comes up? I can't say for certain, but it is probably something like this: "I am ready to listen and learn. I want to be a part of the solution by working with oppressed peoples toward true equality under the law and substantive equality of opportunity."
Juliann over at the Mormon D&D board has suggested this remedy:
1. Stop pretending the priesthood ban was anything but racist to the core. Put the Gospel Topics where people can see them rather than have to know they exist to find them.
2. Remove any equivalency about how the ban started so that members can't hide behind "God did it." There is too much scholarship to play this game anymore.
3. Instruct local units in what racism is and start talking about it. (All one has to do is read Desert News comments to see the problem we have, it's not like there aren't blaring examples in front of our faces.)
4. The biggest force for good, General Conference. Start. Talking. About. Racism.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace

Doctor Scratch

Post by Doctor Scratch »

Kishkumen wrote:
I hate to feel compelled to call people out for their utterly baffling obtuseness about racism in America, but here we are. It is grotesque for any white person to compare their experience and the struggle they have gone through with the experience of Black Americans and First Nations peoples. The United States was built on the blood, sweat, tears, suffering, torture, dehumanization, murder, and traffic in Black and native peoples. Those who exploited these people for their own benefit and enrichment were and are white. The struggle continues. The racism continues. The exploitation continues. The white obliviousness continues. Anyone who flippantly appropriates the experience of Black and First Nations peoples needs to repent.

The United States of America was founded as a nation of white supremacy. It continues to be a nation of white supremacy. We have a long way to go before it ceases to be a nation of white supremacy. Whites have systematically stolen from, excluded, raped, murdered, and razed Black and First Nations communities. The first bombs to be dropped on American soil were dropped by whites on the thriving black community of Greenwood in Tulsa, OK in June or 1921, 99 years ago, and over half a century after the Emancipation Proclamation.

The LDS Church has not recanted the doctrines that supported the denial of the priesthood to Black Americans. It has not apologized for them. It has not acknowledged that the denial of the priesthood to Blacks was wrong and not of God. Mormonism is a white supremacist religion, and it will continue to be so long as its overtly racist texts and teachings are not corrected. The first, best step that could be taken is to acknowledge the fallibility of scripture and prophets, whose errors can be corrected today in light of a better, nobler understanding.

Very well said, Reverend. I know that I've very much missed your--dare I say "morally uplifting"?--voice as of late, and I'm sure that the multitudes feel the same.

Dr LOD
Teacher

Post by Dr LOD »

Kishkumen wrote:

Thanks for saying this so well.

Of my native ancestors about half died due to the Indian Removal period, actions. Of my spouse her people had about a 90% reduction in population due to similar policies and military actions.

About the Tulsa Massacre of 1921. Sometime back I had a nursing home patient who was a survivor when I met him he was 101 years old. He was a famous Jazz Musician. I listened as he gave me his first hand account. I really wish I wrote some of it down. But fortunately his story was recorded somewhere else. If one could put a value on a memory, listening to his stories are some of my most valuable. I’m not sure what he got from that young naïve doctor.

Gadianton
Hermit

Post by Gadianton »

The Reverend's speech should be framed and hung in every LDS home in place of the reprehensible Proclamation of the Family.

Dr. LOD was right to call out Mr. Midgley on this. I saw the comments but totally missed his reference. The thing is, the real shame rests at the feet of Bill Hamblin, DCP, and Kiwi57. They are the ones who have pushed the idea of Mormon apologists as victims of the same order as Jews who lived through the holocaust. Midgley is a follower, he's not the kind of guy who does well driving his own boat. Whatever his friends say, Midgley blindly invests himself into it 110% and goes over the edge. What's reprehensible is that his friends are right there waiting to push him over.
Lou Midgley 08/20/2020: "...meat wad," and "cockroach" are pithy descriptions of human beings used by gemli? They were not fashioned by Professor Peterson.

LM 11/23/2018: one can explain away the soul of human beings...as...a Meat Unit, to use Professor Peterson's clever derogatory description of gemli's ideology.

Philo Sofee
God

Post by Philo Sofee »

Gadianton wrote:
Fri Jun 12, 2020 11:44 pm
The Reverend's speech should be framed and hung in every LDS home in place of the reprehensible Proclamation of the Family.

Dr. LOD was right to call out Mr. Midgley on this. I saw the comments but totally missed his reference. The thing is, the real shame rests at the feet of Bill Hamblin, DCP, and Kiwi57. They are the ones who have pushed the idea of Mormon apologists as victims of the same order as Jews who lived through the holocaust. Midgley is a follower, he's not the kind of guy who does well driving his own boat. Whatever his friends say, Midgley blindly invests himself into it 110% and goes over the edge. What's reprehensible is that his friends are right there waiting to push him over.
But they then throw him a life vest and he "feels the love" and so thinks they are his friends. They kept me from drowning! I think I will turn around and defend them too now! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Dr CamNC4Me
"Dr. Peterson and his Callithumpian cabal of BYU idiots have been marginalized by their own inevitable irrelevancy defending a fraud."

Doctor Scratch

Post by Doctor Scratch »

Reverend--

Unless I'm mistaken, this is something of a response to your comment:
Sic et Non wrote:I am entirely in favor of meting out severe punishment to policemen who abuse the power that society has entrusted in them in order to do unjustified injury, to exploit, or to oppress. The death of George Floyd appears to represent such a case, and I will be happy if, the courts having done their job properly and the perpetrators having been found culpable, just penalties are imposed that will have a deterrent effect on others. Moreover, if there are systemic problems that need to be addressed, I am entirely in favor of addressing and fixing them.

Demonstrations have their place, I suppose, although I now wonder how much good could have been done if all of the energy invested in the current round of demonstrations had instead been deployed elsewhere — e.g., in community clean-up, running errands for shut-ins, service at soup kitchens and food banks, and so forth. (Such things could easily have been done in the name of George Floyd.)

But there is no place for riots and destruction — destruction that often damages the very communities that can afford it least and for which the rioters claim to feel concern. Supermarkets that are destroyed may not return. Minority-owned businesses that have been torched represent the death of dreams and a real setback for minority economic progress.
The rest of the blog entry links to a series of articles highlighting the worst of the protestors and/or ridiculing aspects of the protests. In other words: what would happen if you focused on the Heartlanders or the Mopologists in an effort to understand what Mormons are like.

Dr Moore
Endowed Chair of Historical Innovation

Post by Dr Moore »

The protestors could have cleaned up communities and served in soup kitchens, instead of protesting? Man, how white privileged can you get? And this from a man, who stands in the public eye to elevate a church organization which sits on literally more than $100 billion in liquid investments, that could all be used to clean up communities and open new soup kitchens, rather than sitting there while leaders pretend to be doing the work of Jesus in the world.

The people are not protesting George Floyd. Wake up. They’re protesting because “all of it” needs to stop, because racism is still a huge problem, and to suggest those people should all go back home and serve in soup kitchens to honor George Floyd misses the whole ____ point so incredibly that it is safe to say the person behind that statement is squarely part of the problem and not the solution.

Kishkumen
Seedy Academician

Post by Kishkumen »

Dr Moore wrote:
Sun Jun 14, 2020 12:15 pm
The protestors could have cleaned up communities and served in soup kitchens, instead of protesting? Man, how white privileged can you get? And this from a man, who stands in the public eye to elevate a church organization which sits on literally more than $100 billion in liquid investments, that could all be used to clean up communities and open new soup kitchens, rather than sitting there while leaders pretend to be doing the work of Jesus in the world.

The people are not protesting George Floyd. Wake up. They’re protesting because “all of it” needs to stop, because racism is still a huge problem, and to suggest those people should all go back home and serve in soup kitchens to honor George Floyd misses the whole ____ point so incredibly that it is safe to say the person behind that statement is squarely part of the problem and not the solution.
Yes, it's about a whole world of things on top of the egregious murder of one man. And it seems that every day the number of police-murdered black men continues to grow.

Dr. Moore, you are a very learned and intelligent professor, so I know I don't have to remind you that all of the mechanisms white America has used to exploit, harm, impede, and harass Black Americans is nothing less than a simmering genocidal war. It is not as though the deprivation and violence visited on Black Americans is some kind of mistake. It is the result of deliberate policy and law. To pit soup kitchens against genocidal policies is ridiculous.

One can point to the water crisis at Flint, Michigan as a recent representative example of systemic racism that is tantamount to genocidal neglect. In August 2012, Governor Rick Snyder (R) appointed Ed Kurtz Flint's emergency manager to oversee and cut city costs. Initially, Kurtz rejected his predecessor Michael Brown's plan of switching the city from treated water piped in from Detroit to drawing water from the Flint River, but the decision not to use the river was reversed by Governor Snyder's office. Accordingly, in 2013, the new city manager, Darnell Earley, oversaw the switch to Flint River water. By April 2014, residents complained of smelly, foul-tasting water. A Virginia Tech study of Flint's water supply revealed that almost 17 percent of the water samples researchers collected had lead levels above the federally actionable level, 15 ppb.

The responsibility for poisoning thousands of Flint, Michigan residents with dangerously polluted water rests on the shoulders of the white Republican governor of the state, Rick Snyder.

Documents obtained by subpoena reveal that Snyder was warned of the danger of using Flint water a year before the switch occurred. The governor was informed of a Legionella outbreak in Flint six months after the switch (and 16 months earlier that he claimed to have learned about it.) Snyder punished Flint's mayor for refusing Snyder's requests to declare Flint's water safe.

See https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/z3bd ... d-about-it

The immediate motive driving Snyder's decision was probably greed. But this is one of the ways systemic racism manifests itself. Black communities are viewed as expendable when white dollars are on the line.

As I said, this is just one isolated example of an endemic phenomenon. Black and First Nations communities have been and are exploited, put in harm's way, poisoned, murdered, eradicated from their homes, deprived of their dignity, all for the benefit of white people. These criminal acts are often whitewashed with euphemisms such as "cost cutting" and "progress," and the sad part is that this propaganda allows white people, including white Mormon scholars, too often to feel comfortable in their ignorance. They feel they know when they do not. They feel as though the things that white people do with all of their advantages--advantages gained at the expense of Black and Brown victims of white crimes--are feasible options for Black and Brown communities.

This is like telling the good people of Flint that they could have easily gotten water from other sources when theirs started to make them sick. It is like telling Black folks that they just need to do a better job getting out to the polls, when polls are being shut down in poor areas, and when often Black voters cannot get to those polls because their white employers won't give them time off to do so.

The deck is so heavily stacked against Black and Brown communities that the advice of starting soup kitchens is really obtuse. It may be well intentioned, but it is so uninformed of the deep-seated, endemic nature of systemic racism as to sound insulting.

What is the right thing for white Mormons to do in this situation? They need to stop pontificating from a position of ignorance, and they need to start learning. They need to join Mitt Romney in the protests in support of Black Lives Matter. Those with blogs, podcasts, and other organs of rhetorical influence need to spend time devoting those resources to fighting the same fight in whatever way they can. Only by uniting our energies in support of such movements can we move the needle in the right direction. The time to dictate to Black people how they can properly help themselves is over. Now is the time to be an ally on the other side of the conflict. The white war against Black lives will end when white people stop harming Black lives in the thousands of ways they do, and join with Black people to make sure that all of us are truly equal under the law and enjoy substantive equality of opportunity.
"Petition wasn’t meant to start a witch hunt as I’ve said 6000 times." ~ Hanna Seariac, LDS apologist

Kishkumen
Seedy Academician

Post by Kishkumen »

Dr LOD wrote:
Fri Jun 12, 2020 10:37 pm
Thanks for saying this so well.

Of my native ancestors about half died due to the Indian Removal period, actions. Of my spouse her people had about a 90% reduction in population due to similar policies and military actions.

About the Tulsa Massacre of 1921. Sometime back I had a nursing home patient who was a survivor when I met him he was 101 years old. He was a famous Jazz Musician. I listened as he gave me his first hand account. I really wish I wrote some of it down. But fortunately his story was recorded somewhere else. If one could put a value on a memory, listening to his stories are some of my most valuable. I’m not sure what he got from that young naïve doctor.
Thank YOU for educating me. What is happening is horrific. And, as you would surely be able to attest, this is not just a case of problems for the ancestors in the past; it is a problem for all of us now. The people who bear the brunt of white crimes against First Nations communities are the First Nations peoples themselves, and then the rest of us. What is happening now should remind us of the tactics used against First Nations peoples protesting the Keystone Pipeline. People opposed the profaning of sacred sites and the ecological damage the pipeline would cause, and their worries were prescient. In November of 2017, the pipeline leaked 407,000 gallons in Amherst, North Dakota. In 2019, 383,000 gallons were spilled in Edinburgh, North Dakota. TC Energy is applying for permits to tap the Cheyenne River, White River, and Bad River.

No one should be fooled by arguments that this stuff was not anticipated or known. People did not want to know. Those in power were moved by money and neo-liberal propaganda. Police and federal authorities used anti-terrorism tactics against people protesting the pipeline.

Philo Sofee
God

Post by Philo Sofee »

Kishkumen
What is the right thing for white Mormons to do in this situation? They need to stop pontificating from a position of ignorance, and they need to start learning. They need to join Mitt Romney in the protests in support of Black Lives Matter. Those with blogs, podcasts, and other organs of rhetorical influence need to spend time devoting those resources to fighting the same fight in whatever way they can. Only by uniting our energies in support of such movements can we move the needle in the right direction. The time to dictate to Black people how they can properly help themselves is over. Now is the time to be an ally on the other side of the conflict. The white war against Black lives will end when white people stop harming Black lives in the thousands of ways they do, and join with Black people to make sure that all of us are truly equal under the law and enjoy substantive equality of opportunity.
I doubt many of them want to sully themselves nor "waste" their tithing dollars for the Lord so that when he returns he will have $100,000,000,000 to build HIS Kingdom mansion. Why waste the money on a wicked world when it can be so well used for the righteous Mormons in investments? And help in pandemics? Just use a few anemic dollars somewhere for someone (makes sure they are Mormon first), and then they can brag how charitable they are while never losing a penny of their mountain of money. The pattern has been ongoing for decades now. The entire church leadership were it imbued with a Gospel of love, instead of money and prestige for themselves, would be out marching with the one Mormon leader, who through time, has actually garnered my respect, Mitt Romney. Heck they might even show their priesthood really is an actual force for healing good as it used to be bragged about being, instead of a fairy tale told by idiots doing nothing with that legendary putative "power of God."
Dr CamNC4Me