A New Trailer Drops for the "Witnesses" Movie

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Lemmie
_Emeritus

Re: A New Trailer Drops for the "Witnesses" Movie

Post by _Lemmie »

And although the clip is shortened, there is STILL a scene from “Joseph Smith, American prophet,” in the Witness’ film “overview.” (STILL not a trailer.) It is a scene from a film previously worked on and released publicly by Peterson’s current director, among others.

How again is the donated one million dollars, now swept off the site into a private account, being spent? Who has oversight over the spending from that account? A lawyer specializing in intellectual rights, working for the lds church, perhaps?

And why, again, did private donors have to pony up a million dollars to pay for a film BYU will use in its curriculum? Doesn’t the religion department have a budget for curriculum materials?
_I have a question
_Emeritus

Post by _I have a question »

Lemmie wrote:
Tue May 12, 2020 6:28 pm
And although the clip is shortened, there is STILL a scene from “Joseph Smith, American prophet,” in the Witness’ film “overview.” (STILL not a trailer.) It is a scene from a film previously worked on and released publicly by Peterson’s current director, among others.

How again is the donated one million dollars, now swept off the site into a private account, being spent? Who has oversight over the spending from that account? A lawyer specializing in intellectual rights, working for the LDS church, perhaps?

And why, again, did private donors have to pony up a million dollars to pay for a film BYU will use in its curriculum? Doesn’t the religion department have a budget for curriculum materials?
I might be misremembering, but wasn’t there a claim that a contract had been signed with BYU for the rights to “Witnesses” materials?
_moksha
_Emeritus

Post by _moksha »

Dan Vogel wrote:
Tue Mar 03, 2020 12:59 am
If they can't get that right, how can we expect them to represent the witnesses' testimony accurately?
Maybe it was meant to be faith-promoting and being hit with the golden plates was a metaphor for the usage of apologetics.
_Doctor Scratch
_Emeritus

Post by _Doctor Scratch »

Interesting that Dr. Peterson is pushing so aggressively for the film to have a *theatrical* release in October. I don't know about you, but I listened to Dr. Fauci this morning, and I have to say: DCP's idea seems risky. I mean, maybe they'll do a "socially-distanced" premiere? But how will they get all the cast and crew to Provo (since, presumably, not everyone lives in Provo, meaning that some would need to fly in to attend)? Or will only the locals get to participate? You have to admit: direct-to-video is seeming more apt by the moment.
_Gadianton
_Emeritus

Post by _Gadianton »

October is too soon. But that's just it, isn't it? Maybe the best way to suppress the movie for good is to go "all in" for October, creating a maze of contractual bindings, and then "bam!" The release runs right into a brick wall. But now there's this huge mess of paperwork making it difficult to get another plan together. Not impossible, but enough to stay paralyzed for at least six more months, and then by then, everyone has forgotten about it. No pressure to move forward, and if concerns resurface here and there later, they've got deniability because they "tried".
_I have a question
_Emeritus

Gadianton wrote:
Wed May 13, 2020 5:16 am
October is too soon. But that's just it, isn't it? Maybe the best way to suppress the movie for good is to go "all in" for October, creating a maze of contractual bindings, and then "bam!" The release runs right into a brick wall. But now there's this huge mess of paperwork making it difficult to get another plan together. Not impossible, but enough to stay paralyzed for at least six more months, and then by then, everyone has forgotten about it. No pressure to move forward, and if concerns resurface here and there later, they've got deniability because they "tried".
Given the technological blessings and tender mercies of the current era, it would be a simple matter to distribute the "movie" via The Mormon Channel, You Tube, LDS Gospel Media Library, Interpreter Website etc etc etc. There is no reason for the world the be deprived of witnessing its release in October. Perhaps they could even consider screening it via Drive-In movie theatres where social distancing is assured?
_Lemmie
_Emeritus

Post by _Lemmie »

I have a question wrote:
Tue May 12, 2020 10:11 pm
Lemmie wrote:
Tue May 12, 2020 6:28 pm

How again is the donated one million dollars, now swept off the site into a private account, being spent? Who has oversight over the spending from that account? A lawyer specializing in intellectual rights, working for the LDS church, perhaps?

I might be misremembering, but wasn’t there a claim that a contract had been signed with BYU for the rights to “Witnesses” materials?
Yes. And later, If I recall correctly, DCP said no donor had contributed more than an eighth of the total, which was then about a million dollars. So BYU will have paid something like $125,000 for a million dollars worth of product. Quite the ecclesiastical discount, no?

Unless the BYU contract involves paying royalties to the Interpreter for the film use, but why would it do that? I thought BYU had an intellectual properties clause that assigns copyrights of works created by BYU professors using BYU resources to the lds intellectual reserve, but I’m not positive on that.
_Gadianton
_Emeritus

Post by _Gadianton »

IHAQ wrote:it would be a simple matter to distribute the "movie" via The Mormon Channel, You Tube, LDS Gospel Media Library, Interpreter Website etc etc etc.
IHAQ, you are a genius!

I think what you're saying is that like Will Schryver with his Book of Abraham research, if there isn't a "premiere" outlet for the material, then take the ball and go home. That's a big factor in the suppression theory, if not the biggest factor.
_Lemmie
_Emeritus

Post by _Lemmie »

This is odd. The “script” for the documentary isn’t finished? And what dramatic scenes will the documentary contain that the theatrical version won’t show?

The script for the documentary film is pretty far along. It will include dramatic footage from the theatrical filming (some of it not included in the final cut of that movie) as well as dramatic footage specifically created for the documentary itself. The major distinguishing component in the documentary, of course, will be interviews with scholars, both believing and non-believing. The release for the documentary was tentatively proposed this morning for April 2021, to be accompanied by a flotilla of what we have been calling “snippets.” These short little items, typically 3-5 minutes in length, will address questions, concerns, and objections raised by the story of the Witnesses and their principal content will come from interviews with scholars and other relevant experts.

https://www.patheos.com/blogs/danpeters ... ation.html
_I have a question
_Emeritus

Gadianton wrote:
Wed May 13, 2020 11:34 pm
IHAQ wrote:it would be a simple matter to distribute the "movie" via The Mormon Channel, You Tube, LDS Gospel Media Library, Interpreter Website etc etc etc.
IHAQ, you are a genius!

I think what you're saying is that like Will Schryver with his Book of Abraham research, if there isn't a "premiere" outlet for the material, then take the ball and go home. That's a big factor in the suppression theory, if not the biggest factor.
I suppose it will depend on the true purpose of this "movie" project. Is it a philanthropic effort born out of love and admiration for the witnesses? Or is it simply a vehicle for shaking down unsuspecting donors to facilitate spotlight hungry individuals? Is it being pushed as a money maker? If the former, a theatrical release is inconsequential, unnecessary to its purpose. A much wider "free" distribution, achieved via You Tube, Facebook, Church Media, Websites etc, would better serve. I guess time will flush out the managements underlying desires.

P.S. Any sign of those project financials seeing the light of day?