Louis Midgley Threatens to "Pay a Visit" to Gina Colvin

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
Dr Exiled
God

Re: Louis Midgley Threatens to "Pay a Visit" to Gina Colvin

Post by Dr Exiled »

My accusation was always what Midgley's relative said to me what had happened to him and how it was a violation of free speech for the SP/Bishop to get involved and stop the publication. Perhaps Midge doesn't remember it because he was so used to doing that sort of thing? Anyway, I heard what I heard.
"Religion is about providing human community in the guise of solving problems that don’t exist or failing to solve problems that do and seeking to reconcile these contradictions and conceal the failures in bogus explanations otherwise known as theology." - Kishkumen 

Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

It looks like whinin’ Lou Midgley and his handler Daniel “co-dependent” Peterson have a huge blindspot when it comes to their bullyin’ behavior:

“Louis Midgley > TimErnst

TimErnst has it exactly right. This explains why Dan tolerates gemli posting his weird atheist dogma. gemli is not angry or insulting. gemli never makes up stories about people, though he fabricates a bizarre alternative intellectual history out of thin air. Instead, he just does his dogmatic atheist thing, and thereby illustrates how and why scientism is wrong. No one is hoping that Dan will give gemli the boot. One reason is that gemli never engages in personal attacks.”

Hypocrisy thy name is Lyin’ Lou!

“DanielPeterson > Louis Midgley

Exactly.”

They’re totally the victims. :rolling eyes so hard I just backflipped:

- Doc

Lemmie
God

Post by Lemmie »

Midgley has a well-established reputation for engaging in inappropriate behavior, and then, after he is caught, obfuscating repeatedly to try to cover up or minimize the negative impact of his actions. Even though I have read about many other incidents, watching how it played out in real time this last few months, in the case of his stalking Colvin, as well as harassing commenters such as Dr. LOD, Shades, and Exiled was pretty horrifying.

An actual person behaving that badly in the name of his religion, who then touts himself as having a “charmed life” while mocking and gossiping about anyone who disagrees with him is just repulsive.

Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Lyin' Lounatic Midgley continues his "war" (his words, not mine) on Colvin:

https://www.patheos.com/blogs/danpeters ... 4979311282

"... And now Joanna Brooks and Gina Colvin want to decolonize my own faith, and hence seem determined to transform and deconstruct my own world(s).

So I have discovered that there are all kinds of different "worlds" out that that are at war with each other. And there are various sorts of armies that struggle for control of our souls, even or especially when they deny, like gemli, that any human can possibly have a soul, or that there is any possible meaning in anything, except their denial that there is any meaning other than our very own tenuous grasp of those swerving atoms about which Lucretius wrote many years ago in his didactic poem on the nature of things."

What a psychologically fascinating post. The curious reader will note that Midgley outs himself as a sort-of-solipsist and "war" monger. This goes a long way toward explaining why he felt the need to travel to New Zealand and wage "war" against Gina Colvin. One should also note he continues to call out (you'll have to click on the link to read the rest of his screed) gemli who has now been absent from Dowsin' Dan Peterson's vanity blog for four days.

- Doc
Last edited by Doctor CamNC4Me on Fri Jul 24, 2020 9:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dr LOD
Teacher

Post by Dr LOD »

And I have discovered that my own ancestors were once "colonized" by people from Illinois and then Utah. And now Joanna Brooks and Gina Colvin want to decolonize my own faith, and hence seem determined to transform and deconstruct my own world(s).
Either an embarrassingly sophomoric post. Or him thinking he is clever with word play.

This is a parallel of someone saying “all lives matter” when trying to undermine the BLM/civil rights movement.

Professor Midgley is engaging in racist rhetoric in this post. To undermine the position Colvin and Brooks took in their book. He thinks he is funny and clever but is just BS.

I hope this means he is doing a review on the book. My offer is still out there for its publication.

Gadianton
Hermit

Post by Gadianton »

This is a parallel of someone saying “all lives matter” when trying to undermine the BLM/civil rights movement.

Professor Midgley is engaging in racist rhetoric in this post. To undermine the position Colvin and Brooks took in their book. He thinks he is funny and clever but is just BS.
Yep. It's like saying that dismantling the Third Reich "colonized" all those who were born into Nazi Germany. It's a worn ploy of the religious right to point out that those who ask for universal tolerance are hypocritical because they are intolerant towards the intolerant.
Lou Midgley 08/20/2020: "...meat wad," and "cockroach" are pithy descriptions of human beings used by gemli? They were not fashioned by Professor Peterson.

LM 11/23/2018: one can explain away the soul of human beings...as...a Meat Unit, to use Professor Peterson's clever derogatory description of gemli's ideology.

Lemmie
God

Post by Lemmie »

Wow. Yet another version of Midgley’s stalking of Colvin, as well as another violation of Peterson’s agreement with Dr. Moore:
Midgley:

Second, there is never what you call "harsh rhetoric" on Professor Peterson's blog, unless people migrate from an especially hate-filled board to attack the faith of Latter-day Saints, which sometimes happens.

And the trashing I got from those folks on Gina Colvin's Patheos blog was entirely from haters from this hate board.

Gina Colvin could have put an end to all of that rubbish by simply posting a comment that her husband did want to meet me, and that we share common ground, and also that the Christchurch Stake President somehow knew who I was and directed me to Nathan. Since the first words from Nathan were "my wife hates you." To that very moment I was not aware that she knew that I existed. I learned a great deal about her from the conversation and took place that Sunday Morning that seems to explain why she never said a thing on her own blog to correct the ranting that took place on her blog.

Hatred is a very bad counselor indeed.

http://disq.us/p/2ar59ox
So the person being stalked could have put an end to Midgley’s onging trashing of her, if she had just done what Midgley commanded. That’s a whole new low to the stalking behavior of Louise Midgley.

Lemmie
God

Post by Lemmie »

DanielPeterson Mod Louis Midgley • 8 hours ago

LM: "Gina Colvin could have put an end to all of that rubbish"

She could have. It was shameful. But she didn't.

It's a matter of priorities, I guess.

Years ago, I posted a brief and entirely civil correction of a factual error she had made about me in one of her blog entries. (I can't recall what the issue was.). I had never communicated with her before or posted anything on her blog. She deleted it. I've never communicated with her since, nor tried to post anything else on her blog.

http://disq.us/p/2ar5ebi
???? I thought Peterson was trying to rein Midgley in, not wind him up.

Physics Guy
God

Post by Physics Guy »

Gadianton wrote:
Sat Jul 04, 2020 9:41 pm
It's a worn ploy of the religious right to point out that those who ask for universal tolerance are hypocritical because they are intolerant towards the intolerant.
They should enthusiastically support our right to be intolerant of them, and campaign for federal funding and tax exemption of groups that advocate withdrawal of federal funding and tax exemption from them. In fact since these kinds of religious groups often advocate voluntary charity from individuals as a substitute for all kinds of government funding, they should just directly give money to the groups that want to restrict their right to give their money to whatever they want, since that would be principled support for the common cause of principled intolerance.

Hey, it's worth a shot. I've heard there's a hundred billion dollars just lying around.

Dr LOD
Teacher

Post by Dr LOD »

LM: "Gina Colvin could have put an end to all of that rubbish"
DCP: She could have. It was shameful. But she didn't.

It's a matter of priorities, I guess.

Years ago, I posted a brief and entirely civil correction of a factual error she had made about me in one of her blog entries. (I can't recall what the issue was.). I had never communicated with her before or posted anything on her blog. She deleted it. I've never communicated with her since, nor tried to post anything else on her blog.
As I remember Professor Colvin did moderate that conversation the best she could. Much better than anything that Peterson has done. I had a coulple of posts that she didn't post. Apparently Midgley also marked posts by other people as spam on that conversation which automatically put them in a moderator bin.

Louis Midgley was caught being Louis Midgley on that post and out of the protective confines of Sic et Non he received a dose of honest criticism of his boorish behavior.

My offer of $500 to the Interrupter Foundation for a review by Louis Midgley on Gina Colvins book on Decolonizing Mormonism, or the book Mormonism and White Supremacy by Brooks still stands.

Gadianton
Hermit

Post by Gadianton »

Lemmie wrote:So the person being stalked could have put an end to Midgley’s onging trashing of her, if she had just done what Midgley commanded.
That's exactly what he's saying. It's just like in the movies, when a bank robber slips the teller a note with instructions on how to empty the vault. In retrospect, after all the patrons have been gunned down, the robber explains that the killings could be avoided if only the teller had followed the instructions on the note. But there's a distinctively Mormon twist to Midgley's version. Outside of the Church, such as in the bank robber scenario, the robber at least has the decency to pass that note and explain the connection between following the instructions and people keeping their lives. In Midgley's version, the very rule is concealed until after the fact. The person is expected to figure out what the rule is and then follow it -- that's part of the Mormon "test".

How many stories in church have you heard that are very similar to Midgley's story here?

- A Mormon boss is prepared to give a Mormon employee a big raise, but he won't do it until the struggling employee pays his tithing. The employee doesn't know his boss's plan, and learns long after the fact, the reason he didn't get his raise.
Lou Midgley 08/20/2020: "...meat wad," and "cockroach" are pithy descriptions of human beings used by gemli? They were not fashioned by Professor Peterson.

LM 11/23/2018: one can explain away the soul of human beings...as...a Meat Unit, to use Professor Peterson's clever derogatory description of gemli's ideology.

Paloma
Priest

Post by Paloma »

Just came across a fascinating foray by Professor Midgley in the comments of a blog (By Common Consent Maori, Mormons and Metageneology 2007). Thirteen years later, not much has changed. His protector then, too, was Professor Peterson (as shown in the comments ... way too much text to bring here, but it's all there for the interested reader).

https://bycommonconsent.com/2007/02/08/ ... genealogy/

Louis Midgley says:
February 19, 2007 at 12:53 am
My interest in continuing the discussion of the Maori and the Saints in New Zealand, which I had been enjoying, suddenly declined to about zero beginning with item #58. Let me explain why. I admit to not being entirely comfortable posting on a blog. My first and only previous experience doing this taught me something about blogs. It was an unpleasant learning experience. But I have enjoyed this experience. At least I did until I was taken to the woodshed by Hellmut Lotz. He thinks he has me pegged: I am, it seems, given to “hegemonic ambitions.” And, of course, I am guilty of exploiting some language in something someone posted in an effort to “validate [my] self image.” And one other expert finds me guilty of posting “a nauseating and atrociously presumptive screed.” Really. It was that bad? I had not expected that the issues raised by Sterling and others would degenerate into a parade of insults and nasty stuff. It is not difficult to spot the approaching rhetorical gutter and to sense when someone has some emotional itch they need to scratch. So unless Lotz and Costanza are gently but firmly told to get lost, I have no interest in continuing a discussion that I had previously very much enjoyed, even though I suspect that my ultra long posts may have been of little or no interest to most of those on BCC. Of course, I am aware that not everyone has the same passions or interests.

MCQ says:
February 19, 2007 at 1:05 am
I think I have already made my feelings known here but let me be the first to ask Hellmut and Costanza to play elsewhere while you continue with your fascinating posts, please.

DeRucci says:
February 19, 2007 at 7:01 am
Wow. So this thread has been going on for an unusually long time, and Professor Midgley has been the recipient of seemingly endless accolades for his interesting posts. Two people objected to what was, in fact, an off-topic post about someone’s relationship to the church. I think the threats to take your ball and go home unless the two offending parties are banished is a bit much. If two negative comments out of 50 plus gushing remarks hurts your feelings, maybe the blog world really isn’t for you.

Gadianton
Hermit

Post by Gadianton »

Holy cow Paloma! You've made a fascinating discovery!

I've skimmed through the comments and it's exactly as you've said. Midgley was greeted like a great white god on that thread, and he talked, and talked and talked, but hey, it was all good. Some people like travel logs and kitsch, and so it was as amiable of a discussion as discussions come. There was a brief hiccup, as Migdley scolded the blog for "not digging" enough. Wow, the irony, considering there is no evidence that Midgely himself really digs all that much into anything. As in his posts on this blog, he's full of superficial details. Anyway, the good folks over there let that one go and continued on. And then, Captain Jack made a grave mistake, with this post:
Captain Jack wrote:Thanks for that info. My father served a mission to the north island in the early 1960s. One of the highlights of my childhood was watching slide shows from his mission; I especially liked his pictures and stories from his time with the Maori. While my relationship with the LDS church has ended, I still have a soft spot for the Maori and stories about them.
Talk about letting fresh blood into the water!
Louis Midgley wrote:With this in mind, and never wanting to miss an opportunity, I notice that capt jack indicates that, while his “relationship with the LDS church has ended,” because of some experiences in his youth, he still has “a soft spot for the Maori and stories about them.” Good. Very good. A starting point. Capt jack still remembers something that once moved his father. Excellent. This is a fine place to begin. What is this business about capt jack’s “relationship with the LDS church” having ended? This is not possible. This is simply not true. It will never end, even if he tries hard to go missing. And, in addition, he is, after all, right here on this blog with Mormon things being discussed. Why? He simply cannot leave it alone. He can’t spit or swallow.
And this is where a couple of brief criticisms of Migedly come in, and after, as Paloma quotes him, he shoots up to "cancel" the blog and go home. Notice at this point, the conversation has been going on for 10 days. Within hours of Costanza's offending remark, a poster called "Daniel Peterson" shows up to heap the praise on Midgley, and rebuff anybody who had offended the MIgle in the slightest. Where was this Daniel for the past many days, having scholarly exchanges? Oh I know, that doesn't interest him. What interests him is online combat.

This Daniel says, of Midlegy's comments to Jack,
Daniel Peterson wrote:I find it fascinating that a call to repentance — pretty much of the essence of the gospel, as I understand it, and a call to which all of us are subject without exception — or what might alternatively be described as a very mild and gracious preaching of the gospel (an obligation, in Mormon understanding, laid upon all those who have made covenants with God) is construed as a “nauseating and atrociously presumptive screed,” an attempt to “impose the meaning of some discourse with hegemonic ambitions,” and an exploitative effort to “validate” Professor Midgley’s own “self-image.”

It seems to me painfully obvious that endeavors to delegitimize even a mild public expression of mainstream Mormon belief in this fashion are themselves naked attempts at the imposition of a transparently hegemonic discourse and unmistakable evidence that, for some, tolerance is merely a one-way street.

lol. You can't make this stuff up. Maybe he should go back and read just how ordinary Captain Jack's brief mention about his church status was. There was nothing to tolerate or not tolerate.

Philo Sofee
God

Post by Philo Sofee »

Like I say..........genuflect to the Mormon soon to be full fledged gods and always agree with their views of every subject, since they are always correct, in their minds, or face their wrath and weeping about their persecution of others thinking a wee bit different than they do.....
Dr CamNC4Me
"Dr. Peterson and his Callithumpian cabal of BYU idiots have been marginalized by their own inevitable irrelevancy defending a fraud."

Lemmie
God

Post by Lemmie »

This by midgley is beyond arrogant:
And, in addition, he is, after all, right here on this blog with Mormon things being discussed. Why? He simply cannot leave it alone. He can’t spit or swallow.
how obnoxious. There is nothing on that blog that says non-LDS commenters are not welcome. Again, if it is comportment like this that got Peterson and Midgley kicked out of Maxwell and off BYU campus, i am not surprised at all.

Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

He simply cannot leave it alone. He can’t spit or swallow.
Can anyone imagine having an emotionally intimate relationship with this person? Yes, I'm talking emotional here. It'd be impossible. He's just too disgusting and lacking self awareness to participate in a healthy relationship of any kind.
Failure is not falling down but refusing to get up.
Chinese Proverb

Temp. Admin.
Deacon

Post by Temp. Admin. »

Midgley wrote: Gina Colvin could have put an end to all of that rubbish by simply posting a comment that her husband did want to meet me, and that we share common ground, and also that the Christchurch Stake President somehow knew who I was and directed me to Nathan.
So far, so good. . .
Since the first words from Nathan were "my wife hates you." To that very moment I was not aware that she knew that I existed.
Wait, WHAT? How on earth could she tell anyone that her husband wanted to meet, and shared common ground with, someone she didn't even know existed?

Or maybe he's telling the story out of chronological order. But in that case, why was he unaware that she knew of his existence when he himself appeared on her blog to grill her about the location of her "sinking ship" so he could go and "visit" her?

Now, on to the 2007 blog comments:
Midgley wrote:At that marae one cannot take photos inside the carved house. Oh yea? My wife and I once just wandered in through the back of the marae and I photographed everything in that house. I just had to have photos of the house my dear friend had designed. No one noticed, fortunately. My wife thinks I am a bit too deferent to Maori marae rules.
Yeah. God forbid that one be sensitive to the cultural norms of one's Maori hosts.
I am, except in this one instance, very much concerned not to offend anyone over even the slightest thing.
Boy has THAT concern ever been jettisoned into deepest regions of intergalactic space!

Doctor CamNC4Me
God

It should be noted what Lyin' Lounatic Midgley thinks of those who leave the Church, or at least thlse who share opinions and insights that aren't his. From Dowsin' Dan's vanity blog's comments section:

"Jack: You are right about this. We at the Interpreter Foundation need to know the details. Can you please send a link. John Dehlin is a fine example of what has come to be known as Novak's Rule."

What in the world is Novak's Rule? Welp:

https://www.shields-research.org/Novak/ ... /aug05.htm

"Novak's Rule Number 1 of Anti-Mormonism: When becoming an anti-Mormon, expect your IQ to drop at least 85 points. Or, to put it a little more succinctly: God strikes you stupid."

Approximately 68% of all people score somewhere between 85 and 115, the range within 15 points of the average of 100. One is considered intellectually disabled with a score of 70 and below. So. Yeah. Little Lou the asshole just called John Dehlin r____.

Did Ms. Colvin really need to entertain a visit from this peckerhead?

- Doc

moksha
God

Post by moksha »

Temp. Admin. wrote:
Sat Jul 25, 2020 9:51 pm
Since the first words from Nathan were "my wife hates you." To that very moment I was not aware that she knew that I existed.
Wait, WHAT? How on earth could she tell anyone that her husband wanted to meet, and shared common ground with, someone she didn't even know existed?
If you are trying to sell the notion that you were not a globe-trotting stalker, you would need to put forth a cover story. Like all stories not based on actual events, you would have to be meticulous in keeping your alleged sequence of events straight. That is hard to do at an advanced age.

Hard to imagine that Dr. Colvin did not know Louis Midgley existed after he posted on her blog about his upcoming visit and all the subsequent warnings to her by concerned posters. I guess the first iteration of the cover story, that the tour group was whisked away to a random ward meeting and that upon entering the building Nathan McCluskey requested to meet with him, has been abandoned. Can you imagine meeting with someone just to tell them that their wife hates you?
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace

Philo Sofee
God

Post by Philo Sofee »

The Novak Rule in their own minds applies to anyone who sees Mormonism differently than the mopologists do. It's their intellectual attempt to put down and mock those who end up coming to different conclusions than mopologists do. It has no actual data, its just more Mormon verbal masturbation hoping to intimidate others into silence, or else conformity. I never was impressed that this sophomoric attempt was supposed to be taken seriously.
Dr CamNC4Me
"Dr. Peterson and his Callithumpian cabal of BYU idiots have been marginalized by their own inevitable irrelevancy defending a fraud."

Paloma
Priest

Post by Paloma »

I really wish that Dr.s Midgley and Peterson could see how others see them.

When I came across that 2007 By Common Consent blog, it was because I was interested in seeing what Midgley had written about the Maori. I have an interest in writings about the intersection between indigenous people and Christian missions, having spent 15 years in Africa and having been involved with Bible translation into a vernacular tribal language. The whole area of contextualization and cross-cultural communication has been an almost life-long passion for me.

And so I happened upon that blog. And I enjoyed seeing Midgley as 'raconteur par excellence'.

But then ... whoa!!!!!!!!!!! The other side of Midgley popped up with a vengeance ... and there was Dr. P too!

I'm glad that Gadianton showed in his expert capture of the blog I'd referenced above, how bizarre it was that those two seized upon Captain Jack's passing, genuine comment (within a post appreciative of Dr. M's stories!) to call him to repentance in a distinctly less-than-gracious way. Well, at least Dr. M seized upon that brief revelatory statement given in camaraderie. And then, at the first sign of criticism toward Dr. M, he was assisted and buttressed by Dr. P who is gifted in rhetoric and 'put down'.

Can they not see how they come across to the casual observer?

I must admit that I'm no longer a casual observer, and haven't been for almost 20 years since I watched a returned-missionary friend struggle with loss of faith. This very friend (and companions), while serving a mission, had drawn my attention to Dr. Peterson and Dr. Hamblin, and introduced me to FARMS and FAIR and SHIELDS. Then on returning home, this missionary was treated to mockery online (and even some of what I'd call stalking), by those very apologists previously held in such high regard ... joined by others including Pahoran. I don't remember if Dr. M. was there, but I became aware of Dr. M. on SHIELDS, and then through reading some of the FARMS reviews.

However, I did come to this BY COMMON CONSENT blog as an interested observer, and was glad to see a different side of Dr. M that I could appreciate.

And then ... well, you know how that turned out.
Last edited by Paloma on Mon Jul 27, 2020 12:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.