Mr Ballard says openly gay people welcome on Temple Square

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_I have a question
_Emeritus

Mr Ballard says openly gay people welcome on Temple Square

Post by _I have a question »

Members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints want to be able to “go anywhere in the world to witness and testify to what we believe, and not be persecuted or threatened because of our position on Jesus Christ,” M. Russell Ballard, acting president of the faith’s Quorum of the Twelve Apostles, told reporters after his exchange with Pence. “Everybody should have the same opportunity.”

https://www.sltrib.com/religion/2019/08 ... -send-our/

Well, he says he wants everyone to have the freedom to go anywhere and promote anything.
“When we are confronted with evidence that challenges our deeply held beliefs we are more likely to reframe the evidence than we are to alter our beliefs. We simply invent new reasons, new justifications, new explanations. Sometimes we ignore the evidence altogether.” (Mathew Syed 'Black Box Thinking')
_SteelHead
_Emeritus

Re: Mr Ballard says openly gay people welcome on Temple Squa

Post by _SteelHead »

Just don't act openly gay at temple square. Gay couple kissing? Quickly removed by church security.
It is better to be a warrior in a garden, than a gardener at war.

Some of us, on the other hand, actually prefer a religion that includes some type of correlation with reality.
~Bill Hamblin
_I have a question
_Emeritus

SteelHead wrote:Just don't act openly gay at temple square. Gay couple kissing? Quickly removed by church security.

This can't be true given Mr Ballards comments. He clearly wants people everywhere to have the opportunity to witness what gay people believe.
“When we are confronted with evidence that challenges our deeply held beliefs we are more likely to reframe the evidence than we are to alter our beliefs. We simply invent new reasons, new justifications, new explanations. Sometimes we ignore the evidence altogether.” (Mathew Syed 'Black Box Thinking')
_Lemmie
_Emeritus

Post by _Lemmie »

No TRUE lds gay person would openly show their gayness. Right?
_I have a question
_Emeritus

Lemmie wrote:No TRUE LDS gay person would openly show their gayness. Right?

But Mr Ballard isn’t being restrictive in his comments. He makes the point that he/the Church feels that everyone should be allowed to demonstrate what they believe, everywhere without restriction. It follows that Mr Ballard must be therefore supportive of gay people being openly gay in and around Temple Square. He is saying that anti-mormons should be granted the right to openly witness what they believe during fast meetings and general conferences. This is real progress...
_Lemmie
_Emeritus

Post by _Lemmie »

I have a question wrote:
Lemmie wrote:No TRUE LDS gay person would openly show their gayness. Right?

But Mr Ballard isn’t being restrictive in his comments. He makes the point that he/the Church feels that everyone should be allowed to demonstrate what they believe, everywhere without restriction. It follows that Mr Ballard must be therefore supportive of gay people being openly gay in and around Temple Square. He is saying that anti-mormons should be granted the right to openly witness what they believe during fast meetings and general conferences. This is real progress...

:lol: You are absolutely correct. I withdraw my true Scotsman fallacy.
_I have a question
_Emeritus

Lemmie wrote: :lol: You are absolutely correct. I withdraw my true Scotsman fallacy.
Unless Mr Ballard was being disingenuous in his comments and was meaning that only True Scotsmen should be granted special witnessing privileges...nah, Mormon Leaders don't mislead people...right?