more of gemli's gems

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
Post Reply
Lemmie
God
Posts: 10590
Joined: Sun Apr 05, 2015 1:25 pm

more of gemli's gems

Post by Lemmie »

After "spit-or-swallow" Midgley calls gemli a 'piece of rotting meat' and tries to mock his educational attainments, gemli responds with his usual grace and finesse:
gemli > Louis Midgley • 4 hours ago

Lou,
I hate having to correct your essay in a public forum, but it appears I must. I'm a meat wad, not a piece of rotting meat--not yet, anyway. That fate awaits us all. Additionally, you couldn't have a higher opinion of me than I have of my spectacular self. And I earned an MS degree in Experimental Psychology, not an MA degree. In my degree we used electricity and statistical analyses, not a notepad and a couch.
Final grade: C-

:lol:
And after DP allows a commenter to tell gemli to shut up, gemli gives a gentle reminder about manners:
gemli > Louis Midgley • an hour ago

If I were ever to tell one of Dan's commenters to shut up, I would deserve any punishment he chose to dish out.
:lol: :lol:
Elegant, sharp, and well-mannered as ever!

Lemmie
God
Posts: 10590
Joined: Sun Apr 05, 2015 1:25 pm

Re: more of gemli's gems

Post by Lemmie »

Louis Midgley >> gemli

gemli:

I am asking about what led to your decision to post up storm as gemli, and hence to hide your dogmatic atheism from both those who paid your salary and also to your associates. I assume that you are now retired. Hence, the anxiety about your I presume IT job at a Roman Catholic college seems to have led to your becoming gemli. If you are retired, then there is no longer an excuse for hiding your identity.


Oh yes there is. Midgley's MO is to collect information on people and then incessantly and inappropriately attack. He apparently only posts on DP's blog, I am assuming because only DP lets him behave so dishonorably. This is not the Mormon heritage I grew up with, so I have no idea why some Mormons behave so inappropriately these days, but hopefully gemli won't fall for it. Midgley's execrable track record speaks for itself.

User avatar
moksha
God
Posts: 22391
Joined: Fri Oct 27, 2006 2:42 pm

Re: more of gemli's gems

Post by moksha »

Lemmie wrote:Midgley's MO is to collect information on people and then incessantly and inappropriately attack.

What does Patheos have to say about this dark side of Sic et Non?
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace

User avatar
Stocks
CTR B
Posts: 153
Joined: Thu May 02, 2019 12:34 am

Re: more of gemli's gems

Post by Stocks »

Those guys are really losing it.

The three stooges. Dan. Lou. Kiwi.

Even if I remained a believing member, I would shudder with embarrassment for what passes as defending the faith over there.

By their fruits ye shall know them, eh guys?
… the only thing to do when a man is wrong is to be right by ceasing to be wrong. -- Edwin Lefevre

User avatar
Stocks
CTR B
Posts: 153
Joined: Thu May 02, 2019 12:34 am

Re: more of gemli's gems

Post by Stocks »

How fast will Daniel bring out the ban hammer for someone who just quit his board?

Siliconn —> Daniel Peterson
I’m confused. Louis can insult anyone, no matter how mean, sarcastic or viscous. No request to lighten up. Not one.

But someone comes along and calls him out on that behavior, and you ask me to lighten up?

Sure. I will do better than that.

If the goal is a one sided conversation with all contrary views chased away by Louis (and Kiwi) then that is entirely your right.

A shame. But your call.

I came over here expecting to find educated, but entirely Christian people engaging in respectful dialogue about tough issues.

Instead I find defensive bullies who demean and dismiss.

If that’s what you feel gets the job done.

I’ll go away. Enjoy your one sided conversations.
… the only thing to do when a man is wrong is to be right by ceasing to be wrong. -- Edwin Lefevre

Lemmie
God
Posts: 10590
Joined: Sun Apr 05, 2015 1:25 pm

Re: more of gemli's gems

Post by Lemmie »

Lemmie wrote:
Louis Midgley >> gemli

gemli:

I am asking about what led to your decision to post up storm as gemli, and hence to hide your dogmatic atheism from both those who paid your salary and also to your associates. I assume that you are now retired. Hence, the anxiety about your I presume IT job at a Roman Catholic college seems to have led to your becoming gemli. If you are retired, then there is no longer an excuse for hiding your identity.


Oh yes there is. Midgley's MO is to collect information on people and then incessantly and inappropriately attack. He apparently only posts on DP's blog, I am assuming because only DP lets him behave so dishonorably. This is not the Mormon heritage I grew up with, so I have no idea why some Mormons behave so inappropriately these days, but hopefully gemli won't fall for it. Midgley's execrable track record speaks for itself.


It looks like gemli is staying cautious, while still showing his characteristic good humor:
gemli >> Louis Midgley
2 hours ago

Yes, I'm retired, and I want to feel free to talk about controversial topics, such as religion and politics, without risking psychotic gun-toting Trump supporters or a horde of angry Mormons storming my humble home with pitchforks and torches, or however Mormons redress grievances.

:lol:

User avatar
moksha
God
Posts: 22391
Joined: Fri Oct 27, 2006 2:42 pm

Re: more of gemli's gems

Post by moksha »

gemli >> Louis Midgley
2 hours ago

... without risking psychotic gun-toting Trump supporters or a horde of angry Mormons storming my humble home with pitchforks and torches, or however Mormons redress grievances.

Sounds like Gemli does not know about cranky old professors calling them up to ask if they have Prince Albert in the can. If Gemli says yes, then the professor will tell him he is going to heck.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace

Lemmie
God
Posts: 10590
Joined: Sun Apr 05, 2015 1:25 pm

Re: more of gemli's gems

Post by Lemmie »

Stocks wrote:Those guys are really losing it.

The three stooges. Dan. Lou. Kiwi.

Even if I remained a believing member, I would shudder with embarrassment for what passes as defending the faith over there.

By their fruits ye shall know them, eh guys?

They really are. With zero self-awareness, kiwi says this to gemli:
...learn[] something about the people you are smearing with ignorant stereotypes ...

:rolleyes:
Gemli's a new yorker iirc, his east coast followers are certainly getting an eyeful from this smutty Mormon contingent on DP's blog.

User avatar
Philo Sofee
God
Posts: 6588
Joined: Wed Jul 04, 2012 3:04 am

Re: more of gemli's gems

Post by Philo Sofee »

I view it as the Gospel in action. That's enough to show me I done did it right when I quit apologetics. Of course, following their hero Jesus (with careful selection and cherry picking), they are allowed (in their minds) to be nasty because Jesus was. They can afford to be mean because Jesus was. They can afford to be stupid because Jesuswas. Well hey, as the song says 2 outta 3 ain't bad...... :biggrin:
Dr CamNC4Me
"Dr. Peterson and his Callithumpian cabal of BYU idiots have been marginalized by their own inevitable irrelevancy defending a fraud."

User avatar
Jersey Girl
God
Posts: 34133
Joined: Tue Oct 24, 2006 7:16 pm

Re: more of gemli's gems

Post by Jersey Girl »

Philo Sofee wrote:I view it as the Gospel in action. That's enough to show me I done did it right when I quit apologetics. Of course, following their hero Jesus (with careful selection and cherry picking), they are allowed (in their minds) to be nasty because Jesus was. They can afford to be mean because Jesus was. They can afford to be stupid because Jesuswas. Well hey, as the song says 2 outta 3 ain't bad...... :biggrin:


Did they miss who Jesus was mean and nasty to? Not that I think he was mean and nasty, but did they miss who his target audience was for his harshest criticism?

Oh yeah. They did. Maybe they ought to brush up on the New Testament.
Failure is not falling down but refusing to get up.
Chinese Proverb

User avatar
Jersey Girl
God
Posts: 34133
Joined: Tue Oct 24, 2006 7:16 pm

Re: more of gemli's gems

Post by Jersey Girl »

Lemmie wrote:Gemli's a new yorker iirc, his east coast followers are certainly getting an eyeful from this smutty Mormon contingent on DP's blog.


Smutty Mormon contingent. Leave it to you, Lemmie. All I could come up with was skanks.
Failure is not falling down but refusing to get up.
Chinese Proverb

User avatar
Dr Exiled
God
Posts: 3571
Joined: Tue Sep 29, 2015 9:48 pm

Re: more of gemli's gems

Post by Dr Exiled »

It would be hilarious if it turned out that Gemli were an M.I. plant. How long has he been posting over there anyway? In any event, the decision to move away from attack Mormonism was a good one, and still is. Relentless attacks only show how weak their fantasy religion really is.
"Religion is about providing human community in the guise of solving problems that don’t exist or failing to solve problems that do and seeking to reconcile these contradictions and conceal the failures in bogus explanations otherwise known as theology." - Kishkumen 

User avatar
Xenophon
God
Posts: 1823
Joined: Fri Oct 21, 2016 1:50 pm

Re: more of gemli's gems

Post by Xenophon »

Exiled wrote:It would be hilarious if it turned out that Gemli were an M.I. plant. How long has he been posting over there anyway? In any event, the decision to move away from attack Mormonism was a good one, and still is. Relentless attacks only show how weak their fantasy religion really is.
He is a long time poster with a pretty solid reputation over at the NYTimes so it would had to have be one of the greatest cons ever by the MI. Besides, why would they need to do something like that when any ol' poster will due for highlighting the behavior.
"If you consider what are called the virtues in mankind, you will find their growth is assisted by education and cultivation." -Xenophon of Athens

User avatar
Dr Exiled
God
Posts: 3571
Joined: Tue Sep 29, 2015 9:48 pm

Re: more of gemli's gems

Post by Dr Exiled »

Thanks for the info. I didn't know gemli posted over the N.Y. Times. I guess DCP, Midge, and kiwi57 should be thankful they are continually bested by a quality opponent, even if he isn't a world traveler. Also, you're right that their colors cannot help but shine through when challenged. Anyone who has a rudimentary knowledge of religion and Mormonism will do.
"Religion is about providing human community in the guise of solving problems that don’t exist or failing to solve problems that do and seeking to reconcile these contradictions and conceal the failures in bogus explanations otherwise known as theology." - Kishkumen 

Lemmie
God
Posts: 10590
Joined: Sun Apr 05, 2015 1:25 pm

Re: more of gemli's gems

Post by Lemmie »

Gemli is indefatigable:
DanielPeterson Mod > gemli

Incidentally, you'll be pleased to know that you have a small fan club elsewhere on the Web.

They absolutely love your posts here, and they feel that you're going without interruption from triumph to triumph..

They're rather cute, in their way.


------
gemli > DanielPeterson

You clearly have a fan club as well, and I'm sure many of them are adorable.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

User avatar
Doctor CamNC4Me
God
Posts: 21629
Joined: Mon Jun 15, 2009 5:02 am

Re: more of gemli's gems

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

Image
In the face of madness, rationality has no power - Xiao Wang, US historiographer, 2287 AD.

Every record...falsified, every book rewritten...every statue...has been renamed or torn down, every date...altered...the process is continuing...minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Ideology is always right.

Lemmie
God
Posts: 10590
Joined: Sun Apr 05, 2015 1:25 pm

Re: more of gemli's gems

Post by Lemmie »

Wow, how does DP have time to do anything else when he monitors this board so assiduously?
DanielPeterson Mod > gemli • 5 hours ago

...Incidentally, one of the many crimes that the Gemli Fan Club has laid at my door is my out-of-the-blue insulting references to you as a "meat wad." They're an expression, you see, of my contempt and of my seething personal rage. I thought you might find that amusing.

:rolleyes: I nominate DP for the Wasatch Front Most Passive-Aggressive Poster of the Year, with Honorary Mention in the categories of Victimhood, Exaggeration, and Whiningness.

User avatar
Res Ipsa
God
Posts: 10227
Joined: Fri Oct 05, 2012 5:37 pm

Re: more of gemli's gems

Post by Res Ipsa »

Throw in thin skinerosity, and I think it’s a winner.
​“The ideal subject of totalitarian rule is not the convinced Nazi or the dedicated communist, but people for whom the distinction between fact and fiction, true and false, no longer exists.”

― Hannah Arendt, The Origins of Totalitarianism, 1951

Lemmie
God
Posts: 10590
Joined: Sun Apr 05, 2015 1:25 pm

Re: more of gemli's gems

Post by Lemmie »

To clear the palate after reading SPit-and-Swallow Loogie Lou's offerings, I thought some gems from gemli would be in order. Here is his response to FFJ, another poster who follows Midgley's lead, and with DP's full approval, mocks gemli at every turn:
gemli > Fourfingeredjake • 7 days ago

You seem to have the bizarre idea that I'm devastated by your trite blather. Perhaps you should see someone who might help you resolve your misguided perception of reality.

---
Fourfingeredjake > gemli • 7 days ago

Nah, you’re a bit of a nuisance, like a gnat, essentially harmless. I don’t think you’re bright enough to follow my “trite[est] blather,” much less anything I’ve put some thought into; therefore, I wouldn’t expect you to be devastated by it.

---
gemli > Fourfingeredjake • 7 days ago

Perhaps a lengthy rest in the Utah Home for the Bewildered would even you out a bit.

:lol:

Lemmie
God
Posts: 10590
Joined: Sun Apr 05, 2015 1:25 pm

Re: more of gemli's gems

Post by Lemmie »

Midgley again tries to denigrate gemli's past, this time about having a degree, and gemli gets right to the heart of Midgley's inappropriate efforts to doxx him, as well the irrelevancy of Midgley's claims about degrees :
Louis Midgley > gemli • 13 hours ago • edited

I appreciate the slight correction, but we still only have your word for what you claim, and hence no real evidence. Sarcasm is evidence of something, but not that you command any real science.

---
gemli > Louis Midgley • 7 hours ago

The claim is a trivial one on which nothing of any import hinges. Besides, what evidence could I provide in this blog that would certify my degrees? Well-credentialed people can believe dumb things and stupid people can believe true things. Ask other people on this blog who use pen names to reveal their true identities and see how many reply.


DP apparently misunderstands gemli's point, but still wants to be noticed. Gemli responds accordingly:
DanielPeterson Mod > gemli • 3 hours ago

Bwahahahaha.

Almost everybody in the world believes that "Daniel Peterson" is my real name.

---
gemli > DanielPeterson • 2 hours ago

Oh, I'm sure you've been called many things in your lifetime.

https://www.patheos.com/blogs/danpeters ... 4551897866

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Lemmie
God
Posts: 10590
Joined: Sun Apr 05, 2015 1:25 pm

Re: more of gemli's gems

Post by Lemmie »

Well this is odd. Gemli's comments seem to have pushed DP over some cliff, at least in this thread:
DanielPeterson Mod > gemli • 7 hours ago

...But it still earned you upvotes from "Dr. Demento," "Dr. Dre," "familysearch.org," and "1 Guest Vote." In that order.
DanielPeterson Mod > gemli • 7 hours ago

"Bigfoot is Cain" joins the chorus of "Dr. Demento," "Dr. Dre," "familysearch.org," and "1 Guest Vote" to "like" the comment above!
DanielPeterson Mod > gemli • 7 hours ago

FK and "Bigfoot is Cain" join the quartet of "Dr. Demento," "Dr. Dre," "familysearch.org," and "1 Guest Vote" to endorse gemli!
DanielPeterson Mod > gemli • 6 hours ago

Astoundingly, "Dr. Demento," "Dr. Dre," "familysearch.org," and "1 Guest Vote" lined up to "like" your comment in The Usual Order.
DanielPeterson Mod > gemli • 6 hours ago

What a surprise! "Dr. Demento," "Dr. Dre," "familysearch.org," and "1 Guest Vote" like your comment. In that order!
DanielPeterson Mod > gemli • 6 hours ago

Even though this is your standard-issue response and even though you've posted it many scores of times in various revisions, it still earned you four up votes. From "Dr. Demento," "Dr. Dre," "familysearch.org," and "1 Guest Vote," in the usual order.
DanielPeterson Mod > gemli • 6 hours ago

"Dr. Demento," "Dr. Dre," "familysearch.org," and "1 Guest Vote" like your comment, gemli. In that order.
DanielPeterson Mod > gemli • 6 hours ago

"Dr. Demento," "Dr. Dre," "familysearch.org," and "1 Guest Vote" have been joined by their clone, "Bigfoot is Cain," in upvoting your comment, gemli. This should make you blush with pride.
DanielPeterson Mod > gemli • 6 hours ago

FK and "Bigfoot is Cain" have now joined "Dr. Demento," "Dr. Dre," "familysearch.org," and "1 Guest Vote" in "liking" this comment, gemli.
DanielPeterson Mod > gemli • 7 hours ago

FK and "Bigfoot is Cain" full-throatedly join the quartet of "Dr. Demento," "Dr. Dre," "familysearch.org," and "1 Guest Vote" to upvote this gemlipost.
DanielPeterson Mod > gemli • 7 hours ago

FK, "Bigfoot is Cain, and one of the two BSs chimes in with "Dr. Demento," "Dr. Dre," "familysearch.org," and "1 Guest Vote" to endorse this one!
DanielPeterson Mod > gemli • 6 hours ago

"Dr. Demento," "Dr. Dre," "familysearch.org," and "1 Guest Vote" are joined by FK and "Bigfoot is Cain" in their enthusiasm for all things gemli!
DanielPeterson Mod > Fred Kratz • 5 hours ago

So, plainly, have "Dr. Demento," "Dr. Dre," "familysearch.org," and "1 Guest Vote." In that order.
Dr. Detroit > DanielPeterson • 6 hours ago
And Dan's obsession continues with who gives upvotes. Funny and a little strange.
---

DanielPeterson Mod > Dr. Detroit • 6 hours ago

It's lasted all of about ten minutes, max. I only just now noticed the pattern. You're generalizing from far too small a sample...
I don't think so. FOURTEEN is plenty.
Dr. Detroit > DanielPeterson • 7 hours ago

Dan, Serious question. I noticed you've made snarky comments about who upvotes someone's comments. Why do you care? Why does it matter to you so much?

DanielPeterson Mod > Dr. Detroit • 7 hours ago • edited

It doesn't matter that much to me...
Sure, sure... :rolleyes:

I don't think that DP realizes that he's the only one obsessed with popularity. Gemli, as usual, just makes excellent comments. My favorite from this thread is the one that DP paradoxically refers to as "standard-issue," when it is clearly anything but:
gemli > DanielPeterson • 7 hours ago

It's not that I don't care. It's that extraordinary claims require extraordinary proof.

The claims made on behalf of religions have little to do with the various miracles and deities as much as they speak to the willingness of people to believe them. There are scores of religions that disagree vehemently on crucial points of salvation, how to achieve eternal bliss, what God wants and every other aspect of the faith.

When two people believe mutually contradictory things, at least one of them is wrong. This isn't about the through-a-glass-darkly thing. It's more like a mirror, reflecting back what one wants to believe.


Well said.
Last edited by Lemmie on Wed Jul 24, 2019 9:39 pm, edited 11 times in total.

Post Reply