Joseph Smith stole the One Eternal Now

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Dr Moore
_Emeritus

Re: Joseph Smith stole the One Eternal Now

Post by _Dr Moore »

“One eternal round” appears in the Methodist Review in 1821 and was also found in multiple hymns in the mid 1820s.

https://books.google.com/books?id=M6RJA ... 22&f=false

https://books.google.com/books?id=CioPA ... 22&f=false

https://books.google.com/books?id=X_BNA ... 4Q6AEIXDAI

Reminds me of “Redeeming Love” — revival era hymn phrase becomes rousing Nephite theological exhortation.
_Dr Moore
_Emeritus

Post by _Dr Moore »

"One eternal Now" is a really interesting phrase. Adam Clarke didn't coin it first, though.

1738: here

1775: dictionary

1798: here

1803: here

1818: here

1819: here

And quite a few similar magazines and monthlies publications in the 1820's, including one called "The New Jerusalem Missionary" in 1824
_Kishkumen
_Emeritus

Post by _Kishkumen »

Dr Moore wrote:"One eternal Now" is a really interesting phrase. Adam Clarke didn't coin it first, though.

And quite a few similar magazines and monthlies publications in the 1820's, including one called "The New Jerusalem Missionary" in 1824

Wonderful, Dr. Moore! Hell, if it was in the dictionary, it must have been a pretty common phrase. Maybe there is no mystery here. Instead this is Joseph Smith working with a popular phrase of the 18th-19th centuries. That’s good to know!
"Petition wasn’t meant to start a witch hunt as I’ve said 6000 times." ~ Hanna Seariac, LDS apologist
_Shulem
_Emeritus

Post by _Shulem »

Dr Moore wrote:“One eternal round” appears in the Methodist Review in 1821 and was also found in multiple hymns in the mid 1820s.

https://books.google.com/books?id=M6RJA ... 22&f=false

https://books.google.com/books?id=CioPA ... 22&f=false

https://books.google.com/books?id=X_BNA ... 4Q6AEIXDAI

Reminds me of “Redeeming Love” — revival era hymn phrase becomes rousing Nephite theological exhortation.

All that time as a believing Mormon I thought it was something that Joseph Smith had originated -- something entirely new that had come from him. Boy, was I stupid to think that. The Mormon Spirit can be deceptive at times. It sure fooled me.

1 Nephi 10:19 course of the Lord is one eternal round
Alma 7:20 course is one eternal round
Alma 37:12 course is one eternal round

D&C 3:2 course is one eternal round
D&C 35:1 course is one eternal round
Last edited by Guest on Tue Dec 17, 2019 4:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
_Shulem
_Emeritus

Post by _Shulem »

Dr Moore wrote:"One eternal Now" is a really interesting phrase. Adam Clarke didn't coin it first, though.

Wow. Just Wow. Thank you for that post.

:surprised:
_Shulem
_Emeritus

Post by _Shulem »

Kishkumen wrote:Wonderful, Dr. Moore! Hell, if it was in the dictionary, it must have been a pretty common phrase. Maybe there is no mystery here. Instead this is Joseph Smith working with a popular phrase of the 18th-19th centuries. That’s good to know!

All this is rather surreal to some degree. I had always thought and believed that it was originally coined by the prophet Joseph Smith. Even more recently I had respect for him in using that amazing terminology thinking he was really on to something. I was wrong. He was just stealing everything he picked up from other sources. I think that was his greatest talent, to steal and lie, sad to say.
_Holy Ghost
_Emeritus

Post by _Holy Ghost »

Kishkumen wrote:

Wonderful, Dr. Moore! Hell, if it was in the dictionary, it must have been a pretty common phrase. Maybe there is no mystery here. Instead this is Joseph Smith working with a popular phrase of the 18th-19th centuries. That’s good to know!

Perhaps just a Nephite phrase that lingered among the Lamanites until co-opted by the white man in the 18th Century.
"There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." Isaac Asimov
_Shulem
_Emeritus

Post by _Shulem »

Dr Moore wrote:And quite a few similar magazines and monthlies publications in the 1820's, including one called "The New Jerusalem Missionary" in 1824

The theme of a New Jerusalem and the nature of God was certainly something Joseph Smith was very interested in. I have to wonder if he was aware of this New York based monthly publication. I'll bet Smith was familiar with it -- it being influential in moving him to start a new religion. Look inside The New-Jerusalem Missionary and find these little gems:

New-Jerusalem Missionary wrote:With the great I AM, the past, present and future, form one eternal NOW, on which foreknowledge cannot be predicated.

New-Jerusalem Missionary wrote:We did not say, that "with vultures and owls, the past, present, and future, form one eternal now," but with God; that Infinite Mind, in which is no shadow of change, in which no such thing as succession can possibly be predicated.

"No shadow of change"!?

This is not biblical terminology. This is Book of Mormon stuff!

Smith robbed that too?

:surprised:

OMFG! I can't believe this. What the hell. Just when I thought it couldn't get any worse. RFM, are you listening?

Mormon 9:9 For do we not read that God is the same yesterday, today, and forever, and in him there is no variableness neither shadow of changing
_Shulem
_Emeritus

Post by _Shulem »

Shulem wrote:This is not biblical terminology. This is Book of Mormon stuff!

James 1:17 wrote:Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, and cometh down from the Father of lights, with whom is no variableness, neither shadow of turning

Oh, I forgot all about that in James, Goddamnit! Oh well, Smith stole it too, because Smith was a common thief all around no matter how you look at it or slice and dice it.