My new favorite quote...

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_truth dancer
_Emeritus

My new favorite quote...

Post by _truth dancer »

Found this today and it is now my new favorite quote.

It is too long to use as my signature quote but wanted to share it with ya'll.

From Buddha,

"Do not believe in anything simply because you have heard it. Do not believe in anything simply because it is spoken and rumored by many. Do not believe in anything simply because it is found written in your religious books. Do not believe in anything merely on the authority of your teachers and elders. Do not believe in traditions because they have been handed down for many generations. But after observation and analysis, when you find that anything agrees with reason and is conducive to the good and benefit of one and all, then accept it and live up to it."

How would the world be different if we ALL came to embrace "truth" by observation and analysis, finding what agrees with reason and is conducive to the good and benefit of one and all?

I LOVE this!!!

~dancer~
_MormonMendacity
_Emeritus

Post by _MormonMendacity »

truth dancer wrote:...is conducive to the good and benefit of one and all, then accept it and live up to it."

That is my favorite part! I am not sure if I will ever be able to divine truth but I do love to find things that meet this criteria -- and allow all [humans] the same privilege.

Thanks for the beautiful thought and the excitement with which you presented it!
"Suppose we've chosen the wrong god. Every time we go to church we're just making him madder and madder" --Homer Simpson's version of Pascal's Wager
Religion began when the first scoundrel met the first fool.
Religion is ignorance reduced to a system.
_Bond...James Bond
_Emeritus

Re: My new favorite quote...

Post by _Bond...James Bond »

truth dancer wrote:Found this today and it is now my new favorite quote.

It is too long to use as my signature quote but wanted to share it with ya'll.

From Buddha,

"Do not believe in anything simply because you have heard it. Do not believe in anything simply because it is spoken and rumored by many. Do not believe in anything simply because it is found written in your religious books. Do not believe in anything merely on the authority of your teachers and elders. Do not believe in traditions because they have been handed down for many generations. But after observation and analysis, when you find that anything agrees with reason and is conducive to the good and benefit of one and all, then accept it and live up to it."

How would the world be different if we ALL came to embrace "truth" by observation and analysis, finding what agrees with reason and is conducive to the good and benefit of one and all?

I LOVE this!!!

~dancer~

this is great. It should be put on a brand and seared into the brains of all religious fanatics.

Bond
"Whatever appears to be against the Book of Mormon is going to be overturned at some time in the future. So we can be pretty open minded."-charity 3/7/07
_moksha
_Emeritus

Post by _moksha »

That quote from the Buddha is taken from the Kamala Suta.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
_harmony
_Emeritus

Post by _harmony »

moksha wrote:That quote from the Buddha is taken from the Kamala Suta.

Not to be confused with the Kama Sutra.
_moksha
_Emeritus

Post by _moksha »

harmony wrote:
moksha wrote:That quote from the Buddha is taken from the Kamala Suta.

Not to be confused with the Kama Sutra.

If one did confuse it, and wished to know more of it, the results could be interesting.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace