It is currently Wed Nov 20, 2019 12:17 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Yet another missionary death....
PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 8:36 am 
God

Quote:
Mormon missionary killed by stray bullet in Colombia

By Brady McCombs, The Associated Press
Tue, 09/03/2013 - 6:22am
SALT LAKE CITY — A Mormon missionary from the Dominican Republic was killed while serving in Colombia — in what is at least the fifth death this year of a proselyting member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.

Jose Daniel Encarnacion Montero, 20, was struck by a stray bullet Saturday in Cali, Colombia. He had been on mission for one year.

Officials with the LDS Church said Encarnacion was with three other missionaries when he was killed, but they weren’t harmed. Colombian police are investigating the incident.

The Mormon church was not able to immediately provide the number of missionaries who have died this year, or in past years. News reports suggest there have been at least five missionaries who have died in 2013.

Encarnacion’s death comes less than a week after missionary Jason Wiberg was fatally hit by a car while on bicycle in Kuching, Malaysia, on Aug. 25. Wiberg, 19, of Roy, Utah, had been on mission since October 2012.

http://www.standard.net/stories/2013/09 ... t-colombia

Post subject: Re: Yet another missionary death....
PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 8:44 am 
God

According to President W. J. Newsroom, 10 missionaries have died so far this year.

http://www.mormonnewsroom.org/article/c ... ary-deaths

"¡No contaban con mi astucia!" -- El Chapulin Colorado

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 10:24 am 
God

First, my heart goes out to the families/friends surrounding this young adult and his early passing.

Second, statistically do these deaths represent something different than the standard number of deaths per capita of this age bracket? Is the number of missionary deaths very high in comparison to the non-missionary population in this age bracket?

2019 = #100,000missionariesstrong

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 11:43 am 
First Presidency

lostindc wrote:
First, my heart goes out to the families/friends surrounding this young adult and his early passing.

Second, statistically do these deaths represent something different than the standard number of deaths per capita of this age bracket? Is the number of missionary deaths very high in comparison to the non-missionary population in this age bracket?

I don't know (or care) about the stats. But I do know that my son was just transferred last week to what he mentioned as the "most dangerous area" of his mission. And I do know that if he were here in the states at home or away at school, I wouldn't have the concerns I have now.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 2:36 pm 
God

Jonah wrote:
lostindc wrote:

I don't know (or care) about the stats. But I do know that my son was just transferred last week to what he mentioned as the "most dangerous area" of his mission. And I do know that if he were here in the states at home or away at school, I wouldn't have the concerns I have now.

Jonah, if I believed in prayer I would pray for him.
I hope you do whatever you can to ensure his well being, even if that includes threatening the Mission President that whatever befalls his missionaries will befall him.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 3:11 pm 
First Presidency

Bazooka wrote:
Jonah, if I believed in prayer I would pray for him.
I hope you do whatever you can to ensure his well being, even if that includes threatening the Mission President that whatever befalls his missionaries will befall him.

Thanks for your thoughts.

My goofy son is excited about his transfer. He served in that area before and is happy to return because "It is not boring...there is always some action." Besides being a normal 20 year old male who feels invincible, he has gulped down the Kool-Aid and feels he is a part of "God's Army", is protected by the spirit, and has the "Armor of God". Uggggghhhhhh....

I don't (and won't) meddle. He didn't have to go on a mission but chose to. He doesn't have to stay on his mission but chooses to. I wish he were home instead going to school and chasing skirts, but he says he loves what he is doing. With each email I remind him to be smart, be aware and alert, and stay safe. So far, so good.

I look forward to him coming home. Then he can be just another horny RM wanting to get married in six months so he can have sex.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 3:27 pm 
Priest

I know that this happened recently and was just posted today but two other missionaries have died within the last few days after the missionary you posted of that got hit by a stray bullet in Colombia.

September 1st 2013 - LDS missionary from Dominican Republic killed by stray bullet

September 4th 2013 - Missionary in car accident not expected to survive

September 5th 2013 - LDS missionary suffers cardiac arrest, dies in Wyoming

Like Bob Loblaw said that Elder David F. Evans reported yesterday that 10 missionaries have died so far this year and today that report is outdated with another one added to the deceased.

What the hell is going on?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 3:40 pm 
God

I could be wrong, but I think statistically this is higher than the rate for male college students.

They are running at a rate of about 12 for 60k missionaries per year?

Some of us, on the other hand, actually prefer a religion that includes some type of correlation with reality.
~Bill Hamblin