It is currently Mon Apr 22, 2019 12:56 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 200 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
 Post subject: Re: What constitutes IRL info and what is the punishment?
PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 9:53 pm 
Quote:
x2

Bite my wire. Do you think I want to grow up for you? Why? So YOU will approve of me and consider me a normal person? No thanks.

Paul O

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 11:10 pm 
Founder & Visionary

Rambo:

I have received permission from Lord Anubis to reveal the fact that he is absolutely **NOT** a sock puppet of Paul Osborne.

--Gadianton, 01-20-2019

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 12:11 am 
God

Dr. Shades wrote:
Rambo:

I have received permission from Lord Anubis to reveal the fact that he is absolutely **NOT** a sock puppet of Paul Osborne.

How do you know this shades? I would think most people on the board would agree with me. Paul always seems to post after Lord Anubis. Oh well I was just having some fun :)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 1:05 am 
Founder & Visionary

Rambo wrote:
How do you know this shades?

Because I was contacted by the REAL puppet-master and was asked to pass the information along to you via this thread. The one who contacted me was NOT Paul Osborne.

--Gadianton, 01-20-2019

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 7:07 am 
I know who Lord Anubis is. I was watching the sign ins and outs very closely. If he pleases, he can PM me so I won't reveal it.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 9:01 am 
God

Not to divert attention from who smells like pee and all that, because I know how riveting that is, but did Shades make a final decision on this?

Penn & Teller

http://www.mormonmesoamerica.com

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 8:02 pm 
God

Bump. I, too, am interested in what Shades' final decision is.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 9:14 pm 
God

Maybe it's kind of liking praying for an answer.... you gotta listen real hard...

anyone have a stupor of thought?

Penn & Teller

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 11:15 pm 
Shades is usually very quick to come up with solutions. On this occasion it appears not.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 4:05 am 
God

Hello,

Or perhaps he is a good manager, and does not feel the need to react to every_single_hyperventilation by the users? This too shall pass, friends (except Ms. Jersey Girl).

Very Respectfully,

Doctor CamNC4Me

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 4:17 am 
Founder & Visionary

Ray A wrote:
Shades is usually very quick to come up with solutions. On this occasion it appears not.

That's because I was trying to be democratic. Y'all hadn't finished batting ideas around yet.

I think my original thought was the best one, with two caveats:

• Things that happen (or don't happen) on other message boards will have no bearing whatsoever on what happens on this one. Who can monitor the entire Internet (other than the MA&D moderators)? Regardless of where else a person posts his/her name and/or picture(s), this board is to be considered hermetically sealed from the outside if the target of the information wishes it to be so. Failure to post X about oneself on this board will be indicative of the target not wishing that X be posted on this board.
  • No retroactive or ex post facto punishments. Everyone has a clean slate as of this post being, uh, posted.

That said, I'll have to figure out the most aesthetically pleasing way to integrate the following with the other rules. As a reminder, the new policy is this, copied-and-pasted from my earlier post in this thread:

Posting personal information is the same as posting behind-the-scenes information: In both cases, the target intends for the information to remain confidential. Ergo, the penalties for both will be the same.

(I envision MormonDiscussions to be multi-dimensional: One plane consisting of the board itself, and an alternate plane consisting of the chat and PM features. If posters have a guarantee that material from the shadow realm will never be posted to the sun realm, then A) the free exchange of ideas and information will be just as vibrant in the shadow realm as it is here in the sun realm, and B) the sun realm will no longer be bogged down with hostile discussions of the goings-on in the shadow realm. Win-win.)

The first time personal or behind-the-scenes information is posted without permission, the poster will be given a one-week suspension. This way, the thread can wind down on its own (because closing the thread would otherwise punish everyone, not just the miscreant). If the punishee fails to learn his/her lesson and targets the same individual again or otherwise demonstrates that he/she has not learned his/her lesson, then a longer ban. . . X months. . . will be implemented, as appropriate.

A blatant threat to post such information or a vivid description of such information, such that readers can get the "gist" of what the information contains, may be considered the same as an actual posting of the same, depending on the blatant-ness of it, as I subjectively determine in my heart of hearts. At the very least, a threat will receive a friendly reminder of the consequence of following through with said threat.

In any case, from this point forward, no one need fear that personal or behind-the-scenes information will ever remain posted to the board (against his/her will). A PM to me or another moderator will result in its swift deletion in any case, regardless of what else we decide.

Personal information: Information about a poster that he/she has not revealed on this message board, regardless of whether he/she has revealed the same information elsewhere.
Behind-the-scenes information: Information received, exchanged, or learned via the chat or private message features.

I hope this puts everyone's fears to rest and allows us all to freely operate in both the sun realm and the shadow realm once again.

--Gadianton, 01-20-2019

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 7:22 am 
God

Thanks, Shade.

Would what happened to Eric be covered under this rule?

Penn & Teller

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 7:37 am 
God

As I interpret this rule, sock-puppets cannot be revealed. In my opinion this constitutes behind-the-scenes information. Am I interpreting this too broadly, or is this correct?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 9:13 am 
Trevor wrote:
As I interpret this rule, sock-puppets cannot be revealed. In my opinion this constitutes behind-the-scenes information. Am I interpreting this too broadly, or is this correct?

You are correct.

Also, only Moderators have the ability to see IP matchings, and definitively know who is using what sock puppet. As Moderators, we are under solid obligation to keep sock puppets confidential.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 12:47 pm 
liz3564 wrote:
Trevor wrote:

You are correct.

Also, only Moderators have the ability to see IP matchings, and definitively know who is using what sock puppet. As Moderators, we are under solid obligation to keep sock puppets confidential.

I was under the impression that Shades had left the decision making to the board on this whole business or IRL info and behind the scenes info, that it was to be a democratic process, rather than his or any moderator's decision making. And yet it appears you and/or Shades have made a decision 're "sock-puppets" are not to be revealed'. I don't have any problems with whatever decision is to be decided, but it doesn't appear to be have been done democratically. Most of the time sock-puppets are light hearted fun, but it is possible that sometimes it would not be and I see little reason that under all circumstances they should be protected.

If Trevor & maybe a buddy or 2 of his (as a for instance) decide to set up a sock-puppet in order to harass Scratch and Scratch finds out via pm what is going on, why on earth can't he blow the whistle on malicious game playing? Why would he be punished when he's simply protecting himself and letting the board know the sort of game playing going on if that is what was happening?

If I was a Mormon, I wouldn't want to participate on a board which is heavily stacked with critics which protects critics in their possibly game playing against me. Someone like DCP (as a for instance) should never if he's got any sense post here under such circumstances.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 1:15 pm 
God

Quote:
If I was a Mormon, I wouldn't want to participate on a board which is heavily stacked with critics which protects critics in their possibly game playing against me. Someone like DCP (as a for instance) should never if he's got any sense post here under such circumstances.
Given the support that the -10's give me, I won't even question who and where they are. Or who enjoys the protections of MPD.

http://www.vatican.va/archive/ccc_css/a ... cc_toc.htm

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 5:30 pm 
Marg---

Good grief...Talk about making a mountain out of a molehill.

All I was trying to say was that although Mods know for a fact who sock puppets belong to, we feel an obligation to the board to keep this knowledge to ourselves.

Leave it to you to turn something that I think should be seen as a positive courtesy into some type of negative conspiracy.

(I would insert a roll eyes emoticon here if I wasn't posting from my phone).

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 5:40 pm 
Founder & Visionary

beastie wrote:
Would what happened to Eric be covered under this rule?

I don't exactly know what you mean by "covered," but I think you're referring to punishment for what DCP and rcrocket did to Eric. The answer is no, neither one would receive punishment, since this board is considered to be hermetically sealed from the outside world when it comes to IRL information, in both directions. In other words, if anyone revealed Eric's true identity here, then yes, that person would be punished. But meddling with it elsewhere would garner no punishment, since, again, when it comes to this rule, this board is to be considered hermetically sealed from the outside world.

Besides, let's think about it: Wouldn't we want both of them to be around in order to account for their actions? To be available to field questions from the rest of us?

Trevor wrote:

You're interpreting it too broadly. Sock-puppets cannot be revealed by those "in-the-know." They can most assuredly be guessed at and discussed by everyone else otherwise lacking behind-the-scenes information.

--Gadianton, 01-20-2019

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 5:50 pm 
God

Dr. Shades wrote:
They can most assuredly be guessed at and discussed by everyone else otherwise lacking behind-the-scenes information.

OK.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 9:43 pm 
Dr. Shades wrote:
Rambo:

Thank you for clearing this up. I AM PAUL OSBORNE and none else!!!!

I swear by the throne of God that I am not the lord Anubis. I swear by Satan. I swear by my own throat! I swear by anything and I will cut my own head off if I'm found to be lying.

Paul O

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 9:50 pm 
Sunbeam

Paul Osborne wrote:
Bite my wire.

I would advise against trying this. My toddler bit a wire one time and was electrocuted. Thankfully, it was mild.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 200 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next