It is currently Sat Dec 07, 2019 9:42 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: The Interpreter Radio Show
PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 5:28 pm 
B.H. Roberts Chair of Mopologetic Studies

Friends and Colleagues:

Have you heard any episodes of the Interpreter Radio Show? While most Mormons spend their Sundays in worship, reading the scriptures, spending time with family, and thinking about their covenants with God, the Mopologists--namely, Allen "The Slug" Wyatt, Dan Peterson, and John Gee--are busy hosting The Interpreter Radio Show. What kind of program is this, you might wonder? Well, I urge you to listen for yourself. As for me, my attention was drawn to the show thanks to an anonymous "informant," some of whose observations and notes I shall rely upon here.

In any event, were you to have tuned in last Sunday evening, you would have been welcomed by a trumpet fanfare, and a woman saying, "Now, the Interpreter Show!" A male voice says, "We welcome you to the Interpreter Show" and "I think that, uh, I'm on the air here." He adds, "In the studio tonight, we have Dr. John Gee and Dr. Dan Peterson," who responds, "Hi!" The original voice says, "We're trying to figure out if the microphones work here," which elicits a chuckle from Peterson. A moment later, DCP interrupts: "Who are you??" and the voice replies, "Oh! And I'm Allen Wyatt!" The evening's program, then, it would seem, will be hosted by none other than "The Slug" himself.

A few minutes into the show, they begin to discuss the publication record of the blog known as Mormon Interpreter. DCP notes that "as of [last] Friday, it's been 316 weeks in a row" that they have published an article. Peterson adds that he "worries sometimes that we've created a monster." He goes on: "Some of the critics--oh, and we have them--uh, who watch us like hawks, uh, if we ever miss a week, they'll say, "Ha! We knew! We knew they'd fail!" Well, it is bound to happen at some point, right? For whatever reason, DCP's point reminds Wyatt of a personal story: "About 22 years ago, I uh, if it's possible to do, I overdosed on chocolate." Wyatt says that his brother gave him eleven (11) pounds (!) of M&Ms for Christmas--"Greatest Christmas present ever," Wyatt adds, as DCP chuckles in the background--and Wyatt reveals that he "ate it in two days." He says that doing this made him "sick as a dog" and he vowed to never let anything "control" him that way again, and, indeed, he notes that he hasn't eaten any chocolate since--well done, Brother Wyatt. Congratulations aside, though, this is quite an odd metaphor, don't you think? In what way is Mormon Interpreter's publication record similar to binge-eating M&Ms? It may be that we will never know.

At around the 4:00 minute mark, DCP says that he has "a critic who's been stalking me for about a decade and a half" who "insists on, y'know, I can do nothing right, nothing I've ever connected with is anything right or good or decent or worthwhile, and he loves to denounce Interpreter as 'just a blog.'" Fundamentally, Mormon Interpreter *is* a blog! But Peterson continues: "Well, it's a blog that publishes books [not *on* the blog however...], does movies, has a radio program. That's an odd blog." Maybe so, but it's still a "blog." No need to deny the truth!

Later, Allen Wyatt states that *he* is the "editor" of the Interpreter journal.... So what is DCP's role, then? Quite an interesting revelation!

What ensues from this point is a rather extended discussion on the nature of article publishing, with Gee (whose voice sounds disembodied and who seems like he's in some kind of a stupor) noting that Interpreter has "the same peer review as an academic journal." (Yeah, right.) They note how long it usually takes articles to be published in typical journals, and cite Mormon Interpreter as a model that's superior in terms of turnover.

At around 8:40, DCP says that he sometimes calls Wyatt to "check in" on how the Editor is doing. Bizarrely, Peterson does what appears to be a mocking, high-pitched imitation of Wyatt's speaking voice: "I'm fine! I'm fine!"

At around 9:40, Peterson says that "This fellow I mentioned earlier has claimed that he has sources that indicate that I get a 7-figure for apologetics." Wow! That's certainly news to me! I don't doubt that the top Mopologists have profited from their work in the field, but I sincerely doubt that any of them have raked in that kind of money. Later, DCP says, "If we are in this to get rich, we are really, really not very clever."

At roughly the 20-minute mark, they begin to discussion the so-called "Ghost committee" work of Skousen and Carmack. At 25:20, DCP says, "It's easy to mock." Yes, indeed.

Well, the show goes on for another hour or so, if you can bear to sit through it. I wonder if--one day--we will have 300+ weeks in a row of this program? Tough to predict. Perhaps they should begin bragging about future episodes along the lines of the so-called "M&M Metaphor."

Quite an intriguing entry into the annals of Mopologetic lore, in any case.

"[I]f, while hoping that everybody else will be honest and so forth, I can personally prosper through unethical and immoral acts without being detected and without risk, why should I not?." --Daniel Peterson, 6/4/14

Post subject: Re: The Interpreter Radio Show
PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 5:52 pm 
God

Thanks Scratch. It sounds like a complete waste of time and a bore.... it's ego driven, obviously. I will profit far greater by spending that time in a book of Alan Watts which is vastly superior and remarkably spiritually uplifting than Interpreter can ever possibly hope of being.Having just finished "Be What You Are" I would suggest it for Dr. Gee, but his ego will be the rock wall stopping him from becoming enlightened. Of course, the same for Dr. Peterson.

Is Midgely serious? Peterson's blog is a patty-cake, surface only, all too frequently plagiarized bit of ephemeral nonsense. Why would anyone suppose avatars must be real? Midgley has lost his tiny little mind. Maybe he can go over to never-neverland and harass Peter Pan for not really knowing how to fly. -Lemmie-

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 6:02 pm 
God

They should be in church like the other sheep in their fold...!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 6:18 pm 
God

candygal wrote:
They should be in church like the other sheep in their fold...!

Nooooo, egotistical celestial glory is vastly more important to them than church! I mean come on! Think of how so much greater their souls are because they are doing so much to build the kingdom of god and THEY are doing it! My hell they will be lauded by the angels on the millions of souls they convince to join the church through their own efforts without any help from the brethren or the Holy Ghost. I mean they are stellar and their logic just shines! They are the 1,000,000,000 candle power light for all to see what magnificence they have attained and continue to do so uninterrupted in many moons! I mean the track record! Good Lord they put Jesus to shame himself! Just think...... when Dan becomes a God, he too can send revelation down to his very own prophet and inspire him to emphasize, to pronounce correctly, and to very often speak about his own holy name of salvation and exaltation for all who obey him instead of do any actual good for his own children on their earth!

Behold, oh inhabitants of mine kingdom, I am Dan Peterson, even Dan C. Peterson himself, who has researched for you, who has typed hundreds of papers for your benefits, and who has spoken on radio more times in a running continuation of well over 23,456,578,786,567 millenia, a universal record which mine enemies has not matched, therefor showing the vast superiority of mine own achievements of godhood and consistency, yea even by mine own hand have I prevailed, amen! Therefor, it must needs be, for mine own enjoyment, and for thine own salvation that the inhabitants of the earth speak respectfully of mine holy name, yeah remember mine name daily in thy prayers, in thy schoolings, in thine very conversations. I would instruct thee all to always end every sentence thou speakest in mine holy and accomplished name, verily, verily, this is mine commandment, and thou shalt hold out not! Thou shalt open thine mouths, and I shall fill them... with mine own name for mine own glory, yeah in the name of the Dan, of the C. and of the Peterson, I speak these things.

Is Midgely serious? Peterson's blog is a patty-cake, surface only, all too frequently plagiarized bit of ephemeral nonsense. Why would anyone suppose avatars must be real? Midgley has lost his tiny little mind. Maybe he can go over to never-neverland and harass Peter Pan for not really knowing how to fly. -Lemmie-

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 7:15 pm 
God

Unbelievable!

About a month ago I tuned in and listened to the show just for kicks. I could only handle about 10 minutes. It’s a terrible show. AM radio at its worst.

The most interesting topic DCP discussed was that his “obsessed stalker” was following his family on Amazon.com or something like that.

It sounds like Dr. Scratch is still one of the main topics of the show. DCP should change the name of the show to “The Dr. Scratch Hour.”

The show is kookier than Alex Jones. It wouldn’t have surprised me if DCP had started promoting the flat earth theory.

Daniel C. Peterson, 2014

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 7:30 pm 
God

Everybody Wang Chung wrote:
Unbelievable!

About a month ago I tuned in and listened to the show just for kicks. I could only handle about 10 minutes. It’s a terrible show. AM radio at its worst.

The most interesting topic DCP discussed was that his “obsessed stalker” was following his family on Amazon.com or something like that.

It sounds like Dr. Scratch is still one of the main topics of the show. DCP should change the name of the show to “The Dr. Scratch Hour.”

The show is kookier than Alex Jones. It wouldn’t have surprised me if DCP had started promoting the flat earth theory.

But he has done something just as kooky, he has promoted and is promoting "Scientific Creationism."

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 7:31 pm 
Hermit

Has he ever considered the alternative that his "stalker", whoever that is, is using reverse psychology?

The stalker baits him by saying, "Your blog is dying on the vine!" and the Interpreter Staff push for heavy output and greater variety of output, including BS sessions they call a "radio show" where they spend most of the time saying "nervous guy on air" stuff. They run faster than they have strength and fall on their face, as it were, and the stalker wins because the stalker is the one who goaded them into the foolhardy assault?

"...supporters of Billy Meier still point to the very clear photos of Pleiadian beam ships flying over his farm. They argue that for the photos to be fakes, we have to believe that a one-armed man who had no knowledge of Photoshop or other digital photography programs could have made such realistic photos and films..." -- D. R. Prothero

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 7:32 pm 
God

Gadianton wrote:
Has he ever considered the alternative that his "stalker", whoever that is, is using reverse psychology?

The stalker baits him by saying, "Your blog is dying on the vine!" and the Interpreter Staff push for heavy output and greater variety of output, including BS sessions they call a "radio show" where they spend most of the time saying "nervous guy on air" stuff. They run faster than they have strength and fall on their face, as it were, and the stalker wins because the stalker is the one who goaded them into the foolhardy assault?

Ha! I just started a thread on this very topic! Why are Critics considered so rude and blasphemous? viewtopic.php?f=1&t=49732 It's attempting to give them by their own petard a reducto absurdum..... and they can't see it. But they simply must somehow some day be able to see it, hence the nonstop of the game.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 8:54 pm 

Gadianton wrote:
the Interpreter Staff push for heavy output and greater variety of output, including BS sessions they call a "radio show" where they spend most of the time saying "nervous guy on air" stuff.

I think that they ought to be embarrassed over the poor quality of this: it is completely aimless, without any real point or structure. Was there an actual theme for this latest episode? I'm not going to predict that the radio show will fail, because it's already a failure. Apart from ceasing to broadcast, they can't really do any worse that this. Though the Mopologists boast about having this "radio show," they really probably shouldn't.

Then again, there's still time to retool the show. What if they set it up as pure attack? For example, they could invite some of the Mormon Transhumanists onto the show, along with Greg Smith and perhaps a couple of other "attack dogs." Pahoran could phone in, even. Then they just all go for the jugular, just like the good ol' days. They could have episodes devoted to Meldrum and John Dehlin and Mormon feminists. There could be a Jeremy Runnels episode. There are really lots of possibilities here. Just imagine that opening trumpet fanfare leading into a radio version of something like "Text and Context"..... Or what if DCP were to read his email to Bradford aloud, on the air? (Has anyone in the Mormon podcasting universe done that, by the way?)

Or what if certain episodes were devoted to malicious gossip? There are all sorts of directions they could take this.

"[I]f, while hoping that everybody else will be honest and so forth, I can personally prosper through unethical and immoral acts without being detected and without risk, why should I not?." --Daniel Peterson, 6/4/14

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 9:05 pm 
God

Gadianton wrote:

Very interesting. Everyone remembers Ronald Reagan goading the Russians into a fake space arm's race which ultimately bankrupted the Soviet Empire and caused its demise.

As many people have previously observed, Dr. Scratch plays chess while the Mopologists play checkers. If history is any indication, Dr. Scratch has a master plan and is several steps ahead of the Mopologists. It wouldn't surprise me if Dr. Scratch is still playing puppet master and the Mopologists are still falling right into Dr. Scratch's trap.

All I know is that I would hate to have Dr. Scratch as an adversary. Nobody knows the psychological makeup and individual characteristics of the Mopologists better than Dr. Scratch. Whenever the Mopologists have tried to engage Dr. Scratch in psychological warfare it has always ended in a massacre.

For many years, I've been amazed and impressed at how well Dr. Scratch has been able to play the Mopologists just like a fiddle. Much respect to Dr. Scratch.

Daniel C. Peterson, 2014

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 9:51 pm 
God

This is especially ironic given their reaction to John Dehlin's podcast.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=23760

- Doc

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 10:28 pm 

You know what? I feel a little bit bad for the Mopologists. The show is just so, so bad. I wonder if we could all set aside our differences for a moment in order to help them out? And wouldn't you know it, but in this post on "Sic et Non," Dr. Peterson provides instructions on how you can phone in to the show. Now, *that* could be very interesting indeed! Perhaps Everybody Wang Chung could give them a ring in order to inquire about the agenda for this year's cruise to the Middle East? I'm sure that Philo Sofee has all kinds of worthwhile questions he could pose to them....

Even the reverse of this might be interesting. What if the Mopologists begain phoning up their critics--e.g., what if they called Ed Decker? Or James White? It could be like a Mopologetic version of The Jerky Boys, except real.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 10:05 am 
God

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
This is especially ironic given their reaction to John Dehlin's podcast.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=23760

- Doc

Thanks for the link.

I almost forgot about this incident where Midgley confronted Dehlin at a conference and accused him of being responsible for the deaths of two missionaries.

Another shining example of the professional and ethical behavior of the Mopologists.

Daniel C. Peterson, 2014

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 10:24 am 
Hermit

Doctor Scratch wrote:
You know what? I feel a little bit bad for the Mopologists. The show is just so, so bad. I wonder if we could all set aside our differences for a moment in order to help them out? And wouldn't you know it, but in this post on "Sic et Non," Dr. Peterson provides instructions on how you can phone in to the show. Now, *that* could be very interesting indeed! Perhaps Everybody Wang Chung could give them a ring in order to inquire about the agenda for this year's cruise to the Middle East? I'm sure that Philo Sofee has all kinds of worthwhile questions he could pose to them....

Even the reverse of this might be interesting. What if the Mopologists begain phoning up their critics--e.g., what if they called Ed Decker? Or James White? It could be like a Mopologetic version of The Jerky Boys, except real.

You know, I own a microphone. I also have a cellphone. Granted, my ASIO drivers aren't compatible with Windows 10 and so I may need a new soundcard, but if I get that worked out, then we too could have a radio show where people call in and ask questions. Boy, talk about adding credibility to the University! With a blog and a podcast, who would dispute it as anything but one of the largest, most successful institutions of learning in the entire world?

"...supporters of Billy Meier still point to the very clear photos of Pleiadian beam ships flying over his farm. They argue that for the photos to be fakes, we have to believe that a one-armed man who had no knowledge of Photoshop or other digital photography programs could have made such realistic photos and films..." -- D. R. Prothero

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 10:42 am 
God

Gadianton wrote:
Doctor Scratch wrote:

You know, I own a microphone. I also have a cellphone. Granted, my ASIO drivers aren't compatible with Windows 10 and so I may need a new soundcard, but if I get that worked out, then we too could have a radio show where people call in and ask questions. Boy, talk about adding credibility to the University! With a blog and a podcast, who would dispute it as anything but one of the largest, most successful institutions of learning in the entire world?

I think I speak for everyone here when I say we would love to have a "Cassius Radio Hour" with the Cassius 5.

Daniel C. Peterson, 2014

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 4:34 pm 
Holy Ghost

Wow. I made the highly regrettable decision last night to binge on the full 1.5 hours in a single sitting, and I paid the price! Talk about Montezuma’s Revenge! But after having my brain pumped, I’ve returned to the land of living.

Regarding John Gee’s tone during the show, I haven’t heard that much excitement in a person’s voice since the times when Brother Crawfish, the ward elders quorum president, provided his weekly report at ward council on building cleanup the previous Saturday and when Sister Wolfmother bore her testimony in sacrament meeting that 500-pound crates of cracked wheat were on sale at the emergency supply depot in town.

With those things in mind, I hereby make a few recommendations to improve the radio program:

1. Add a health warning at the opening of every show: “Do not do ANYTHING during or within three hours of the end of the show until you know how it affects you, mentally, spiritually, emotionally, metaphysically, and religiously.”
2. Eighty-six those terrible commercial breaks. Would it bankrupt the station to hire a producer to advise show hosts when they need to go to commercial?
3. Stop rocking in those creaky chairs! Stop the heavy breathing into the microphone. Enough said.
4. Play new music. Ten seconds of Milli Vanilli at the end of each break would improve things immeasurably.
5. Bring in Louis Midgley as a sidekick to do some simple bits, barks, and random outbursts. He would be the ideal man to heckle hostile callers until they hung up (assuming the show has a caller).

A few show ideas to liven things up:

1. Daniel Peterson on What I Did During My Summer Sabbatical
2. The FARMS Ziggurat: Past, Present, and Future
3. Mormon Celebrity Deathmatch: targets of past Mopologetic hit jobs and various rivals enter the arena with their Mopologist and other foes to do battle to the death.

Guest referee: Mills Lane. Simulcast in HD audio and video. Claymation and non-claymation matches.

Draft fight card:

Loftes Tryk vs. Daniel Peterson

John Dehlin vs. Gregory Smith

D. Michael Quinn vs. The Latter-day Saint Bushwhackers (Bill Hamblin and John Gee)

Hugh Nibley vs. Fawn Brodie (Interpreter’s Ghost Priesthood Executive Committee will arrange and promote this fight)

Robert Ritner v. John Gee (Master vs. Apprentice; this assumes Gee survives his match with Quinn)

Stanford Carmack vs. Brant Gardner

Duane Boyce vs. Terryl Givens, Patrick Mason, and Grant Hardy

Louis Midgley vs. Sandra Tanner

Rodney Meldrum vs. Stephen “The Young Turk” Smoot

Neal Rappleye vs. Philip Jenkins (Note: this match will not take place unless Rappleye is medically cleared to fight)

Dennis Horne vs. Duane Boyce (this assumes that Boyce beats Givens, Mason, and Hardy; winner is awarded the Champion of Orthodoxy belt)

David Bokovoy vs. John Gee (this assumes that Gee wins his previous matches)

Gemli vs. LDS Thinker vs. Prop 8 (survivor is declared Secondary Bane of Daniel Peterson’s Existence)

Michael Ash vs. Shaken Faith Syndrome and Cognitive Dissonance (tag team)

Michael Coe vs. John Sorenson

Blair Dee Hodges vs. Daniel Peterson (“Go to hell!” match; this assumes that Peterson survives his previous match)

Brent Metcalfe vs. Bill Hamblin (similar caveat to the last for Hamblin)

Battle Royale cage match: FARMS vs. Signature Books (ca. 1991)

Battle Royale cage match: SHIELDS vs. old school FAIR (ca. 1997)

Royal Skousen vs. The Brethren (Skousen will fight with the Yale edition of the Book of Mormon while The Brethren will be armed with the official LDS version)

Dr. Gerald Bradford vs. Daniel Peterson (standard caveat applies in Peterson’s case)

Cassius Faculty vs. BYU Religious Education

PPV: Daniel Peterson vs. His Malevolent Stalker (standard caveat applies in Peterson’s case)

Let’s get it on! Good fight, good night!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 6:20 pm 
Seedy Academician

That Ziggurat post makes me long for more innocent days, when interaction with Professor P. was more human and immediate. Now we are caricatures of ourselves in most of our interactions with each other.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 6:59 pm 

I think it's worth zeroing in on this:

Quote:
Bizarrely, Peterson does what appears to be a mocking, high-pitched imitation of Wyatt's speaking voice: "I'm fine! I'm fine!"

It really occurs to me that this is *exceptionally* mean. Peterson is the credentialed, Ph.D.-holding "authority" figure in the room, and here he is belittling Wyatt to his face. Not only that, this was being broadcast all along the Wasatch Front. I think there is good reason to criticize Allen Wyatt and/or to take issue with things he's done, but this was just straight-up disrespect. People have observed in the past that DCP and the apologists are contemptuous of the "Sister in Parowan," or, really, anyone they see as being beneath them. Usually they make an effort to conceal that tendency, but here it sprang loose (and you can almost hear Peterson catching himself). This is yet more evidence of how true that observation really is.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 7:15 pm 
God

Gadianton wrote:
Doctor Scratch wrote:

That might be really kinda stinkin COOL!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 7:19 pm 
God

Quote:

EWCH
I think I speak for everyone here when I say we would love to have a "Cassius Radio Hour" with the Cassius 5.

Absol-lovin-lutely!!! And the rest of us could call in and ask INTELLIGENT questions, not moronic sophomoric softballs, but really show the meat and tatoes of it all. THIS WOULD WORK. Interview Shulem on Facsimile #3...... etc. :cool:

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 7:20 pm 
God

I would love to work out an online newsletter like Interpret has as well. I got very good at editing and organizing and writing up stuff for things like that. We could make that work beautifully with this fine,august group as well!