It is currently Thu Jul 19, 2018 2:06 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 370 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18  Next
 Post subject: Re: The score so far (Health & Fitness)
PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 7:37 pm 
God

delete

I was rambling...

Stay close to the people who feel like sunlight ~ Arsu Shaikh

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 11:10 am 
God

So. We in Vermont now.

In case you're wondering why your resident fat hiker has his hands on his knees it's because 1.3 miles prior Massachusetts sent us out with this:

I ____ ing hate this trail.

This is what a legit beaver dam looks like:

Sunrise from Greylock Mountain:

We finally saw a black bear today. We took a service road into Bennington, VT and surprised him. Lol, he literally jumped and did a spin in the air. Lol.

Clouds of mosquitoes, gnats, and flies are now a thing. Thank gerds for DEET.

____ this trail.

- Doc

PS - We talked to Germans yesterday. One grew up in East Germany. Cool.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 9:23 pm 
God

So I pulled out my trusty maps. LOOK how far up the trail you are! AHmazing!

Gosh darn it damn it, what is up with those rocks in Mass? Stop saying you're a fat hiker. You don't look fat to me at all and even if you were, you'd be a fat hiker who is out there. Doing. It. Which is more than I can say for the rest of the nation including all of us who are sitting on our butts reading your posts and viewing your pics from A/C homes (swamp cooler here) surrounded by creature comforts including a car to drive around in. So stop.

But...I join with you in declaring, ____ that ____ trail!

But keep going. You guys are doing it. I didn't check the miles yet, but dang you guys are moving up the trail!

Love the pics. Particularly that last series of sunrise at Greylock Mtn.

Sorry about your knees! Hope Mrs. Cam's knee is okay having gone up those rocks post-injury!

(This place is turning into a toxic crap hole. Your updates are the only ones worth reading right now.)

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 9:46 am 
God

Oh, I just joke around with the fat thing. I'm back to needing to lose 30 lbs to be 185 lbs now. I've lost a bit over 20 lbs thanks to this bull ____ trail. So, I'm fat, but I'm also comfortable knowing that I'm not where I want to be. It's kind of cool looking back on your thread. This thing has been going for a year and a half! I love that we're fighting the good fight.

A quick aside, I got my hair cut this morning and the barber was telling me how he recently lost 50 lbs. He of course told me how much of a difference it has made for him now that he's 70. His biggest piece of advice for me once he learned I was 47 was to lose the rest of my weight and keep it off if I want to age well. He said he wished he would've taken the weight off 20 years ago because he felt like it slowed him down so much.

He overcharged for the haircut, by the way. That sonofabitch.

- Doc

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 10:53 am 
God

Omg those ROCKS! How are Ms. Cam's second pair of shoes doing? And all 4 knees??? Wow. Hang in there man. But yea, the gnats. I still remember the first summer I was here going on an easy little Appalachian afternoon hike with my new MIL, and thinking "what the !@#$%-ing @@#$"% are these !@#$-ing little BUGS?!"

Nice pics, I'm loving your posts. Thank you!!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 11:49 am 
God

OMG, Lemmie. The gnats and mosquitoes cloud around you and pace with you. There are also these bumblefly type things that just do laps around your dome. It's a type of torturous harassment I didn't know existed. And some of the black flies try to eat you, too. But hey, the views are nice. :rolleyes:

My wife's knee is good. Lots of other hikers have shared their falling down stories with us so it's a nice bit of schadenfreude to keep us going.

Protip for anyone else thinking about out-working your diet. It's better to just be a bit hungry and restrict your calories. One mile of hard hiking might burn, tops 150 calories. Say I burn 1500-1800 calories hiking, add another 2000 for my BMR, that's 3500-3800 calories. Deduct the 2500-2800 you consume because you have to otherwise you're gassed you're only running a deficit of 500-800 a day. That's a pound to a pound and a half for a week of really hard hiking.

In 2015 I dropped ~35 lbs in 60 days of hiking and canoeing and hiking. I only got that number through sheer will power. It. Was. Misery.

Weight loss is 100% won in the kitchen. THAT is a fact. So, we're using this as a jumpstart to our fitness journey and then will be tracking calories on a daily basis. No way I'm going to go back. Being 50 lbs overweight has been the worst experience, day in and day out, of my life. It's really soul crushing.

Here's to getting our individual houses in order!

- Doc

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 1:01 pm 
God

Sorry about the bugs! Humidity and bugs are on the list of reasons that we stayed put out here instead of retiring back home. Everyone knows I grew up at the Shore. It's cooler next to the water. But in between perfect beach days, you'll have a day where flies are all over your ass trying to bite you to death.

When I was a kid they had a truck come around in summer to fog the area with DDT. I ____ you not. The bug man is coming! Shut the windows! :lol: Pretty sure it's outlawed by now. Pretty sure I'll die from it.

I wanted to mention this. If you swim in the lakes up there, watch out for leeches. I recall my mother going into a lake to swim somewhere up there (can't recall the exact location--it could have actually been Canada) and coming out with leeches on her legs.

Just ask around before you swim.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 6:11 pm 
God

Okay regarding insects. I just read something on a Pin. The whole thing was about dryer sheets. I've used some of the ideas before and they work. For example, you can scrub a burned pan or your drip trays on your stove with a dryer sheet and it cuts through the junk in like two seconds. You can also leave it to soak overnight with a dryer sheet. Same thing.

Anyway, it says that dryer sheets can be used as insect repellant. Like stick them in your pockets and oh, I dunno, maybe rub your arms with one...and see if it works?

Everything else I tried worked, so why not this?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 11:05 am 
God

Hey Jersey Girl! :smile:

Jersey Girl wrote:
Okay regarding insects. I just read something on a Pin. The whole thing was about dryer sheets. I've used some of the ideas before and they work. For example, you can scrub a burned pan or your drip trays on your stove with a dryer sheet and it cuts through the junk in like two seconds. You can also leave it to soak overnight with a dryer sheet. Same thing.

Anyway, it says that dryer sheets can be used as insect repellant. Like stick them in your pockets and oh, I dunno, maybe rub your arms with one...and see if it works?

Truth be told..........This DOES work!

Amazing!

Peace,
Ceeboo

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 12:35 pm 
God

Ceeboo wrote:
Hey Jersey Girl! :smile:

Jersey Girl wrote:

Truth be told..........This DOES work!

Amazing!

Peace,
Ceeboo

That's really good to know! We don't have insect problems where we live--one of the reasons we like it here--but I'll tell you what. When I go back to Jersey that's another story altogether! I always have dryer sheets stashed in my suit case when I travel. Good to know I can use them for another purpose if the situation gets buggy!

:eek:

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 12:33 pm 
God

So, we're wrapping up our hike. It's become tedious. But we'll be back to section hike New Hampshire and then later Maine. 700'ish miles ain't too bad! Here's Vermont stuff:

I typically would beat myself up for failing to accomplish what I set out to do. But you know what? ____ it. I'm good. Imma take smaller bites when it comes to Big Adventures from now on. Ha.

- Doc

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 12:51 pm 
God

Doc,

Great thread - I have been following along with your journey and it's been quite enjoyable - Thanks a million for taking the time and posting all the pics and information. I have found all of it fascinating!

by the way - on the 911 monument, what is it?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 1:05 pm 
God

It's an i-beam, presumably from the WTC I'd imagine. You should share your diet and exercise tricks for our motivation, too.

- Doc

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 2:28 pm 
God

congrats Doc, a great hike! I'm so impressed--and jealous! Can you wrap up for us-how many days and how many miles?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 3:51 pm 
God

Lemmie wrote:
congrats Doc, a great hike! I'm so impressed--and jealous! Can you wrap up for us-how many days and how many miles?

So, including today it was 64 days @ ~670 miles. If you add in all the extra walking you have to do I think we're at ~750 miles of exercise. I've lost 23 lbs so it's a good start toward getting back into shape. My wife has lost ~18 lbs. Had we done the whole thing I'm certain I would've lost the 45 lbs I was shooting for, but goddang it's hard hiking. I'm burned out. The upside is I've learned some things about some things and overall it's been a transformative experience.

- Doc

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 4:34 pm 
God

"Hey Stephen, you wanna go home?"

"Yeah, I do. I really do."

I'm so proud to know you, and *LOVE* that you and Mrs. Cam took us with you, if only in our mind's eye!

"As far as I'm concerned, we walked the Appalachian Trail. We walked it in the heat, we walked it in the snow, we walked it until our feet bled. WE WALKED THE APPALACHIAN TRAIL, BRYSON!"

Yeah, you did Cam and Mrs. Cam. Have a great trip back and well done! Please take us with you when you go to Katahdin!

A little traveling music...https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lapdAFADazs

:-)

Last edited by Jersey Girl on Sun Jul 15, 2018 10:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 5:12 pm 
God

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Lemmie wrote:

So, including today it was 64 days @ ~670 miles. If you add in all the extra walking you have to do I think we're at ~750 miles of exercise. I've lost 23 lbs so it's a good start toward getting back into shape. My wife has lost ~18 lbs. Had we done the whole thing I'm certain I would've lost the 45 lbs I was shooting for, but goddang it's hard hiking. I'm burned out. The upside is I've learned some things about some things and overall it's been a transformative experience.

- Doc

:surprised: :lol: :lol: :lol: Congrats! like Jersey Girl, i feel like you've taken us with you, with your pics and reports. Thank you for sharing that with us! In the future, if you feel inclined to write up those things you've learned, we would love to hear.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 11:21 pm 
God

Lemmie wrote:
In the future, if you feel inclined to write up those things you've learned, we would love to hear.

Same here, Cam.

I'd really love it if you are willing to share the insight gained on this journey.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 11:23 pm 
God

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
It's an i-beam, presumably from the WTC I'd imagine. You should share your diet and exercise tricks for our motivation, too.

- Doc

Seconded, Ceebs. If you have inspiration to share, we'd all appreciate it if you would pass it on.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 2:49 pm 
God

Jersey Girl wrote:
Lemmie wrote:
In the future, if you feel inclined to write up those things you've learned, we would love to hear.

Same here, Cam.

I'd really love it if you are willing to share the insight gained on this journey.

Totes McGoats. We're road tripping now through Yellowstone to Devil's Whatever Mountain to Giant Presidents Faces to Crazy Horse to Spokane to Highway 1 to Redwoods Natty Forest to SoCal and home. Why? I dunno. Bucket list stuff, I guess.

- Doc

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 2:58 pm 
God

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:

Totes McGoats. We're road tripping now through Yellowstone to Devil's Whatever Mountain to Giant Presidents Faces to Crazy Horse to Spokane to Highway 1 to Redwoods Natty Forest to SoCal and home. Why? I dunno. Bucket list stuff, I guess.

- Doc

Devil's Tower and Mt. Rushmore. I've done that trip driving from the PCNW to Jersey. Prairie dogs and lots of 'em around Devil's Tower. Also as I recall, there was a McDonald's in Wyoming that had saddles for seats.

:lol:

I didn't care for the trip all that much. Probably because we had a toddler in the back seat winging her See n Say at us when she got tired. Memmmmmmoooooorrrries. Though we did get to fly first class on the flip flop.

:lol:

p.s. Also did the trip across country from Alabama to CA and up the PCH on PCS orders to Tacoma. The Redwoods were simply unbelievable. We've been everywhere but "the middle" of the U.S. I hear that Nebraska an Oklahom are basically...move along nothing to see here states.

No offense to residents!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 370 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18  Next