I've lost the ability to hang out

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
_moksha
_Emeritus

Post by _moksha »

Jersey, perhaps you could work on the art of power lounging by first developing a flow chart and then monitoring your progress.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
_Imwashingmypirate
_Emeritus

Post by _Imwashingmypirate »

I had no plans for the summer but now it is gradually building.

I recieved an email about a month ago to volunteer two days at a festival with the IOP. And then recieved and email about another festival with the IOP. The first I a going for the whole weekend because it is in my City. The second I will just attend one day as it is further away, but transport is provided. I plan to get a job to boost my bank account up a bit and also am thinking about learning to drive. So I have to get my provisional and Birth certificate. which will cost at least £100. But it will be worth it. I would like to buy a video camera to make a video diary of my following years at uni. So working is high up on my adgenda. I plan to spend time with my family. Oh and I do believe we plan to visit my aunt in Scotland, but I don't know what the chances of myself going are.

Everything else is going with the flow. Oh I do believe I must catch up with school work and learn programming languages. I don't know where to start, I think a trip to the Library is in order.
Just punched myself on the face...
_Jersey Girl
_Emeritus

Post by _Jersey Girl »

More attempts at hanging out...

Swimming again (but I intentionally swam laps)
Watched DVD's (Clerks I &II)
Read Magazines (almost fell asleep again)
Talked to a cat (which is far more productive than talking to Pugs since Pugs tend to dominate the conversation)
Failure is not falling down but refusing to get up.
Chinese Proverb
_Jersey Girl
_Emeritus

Post by _Jersey Girl »

Also, Clerks I & II can't count as hanging out as I was making mental notes of how much stuff was fabricated in the movies that doesn't exist in real life.

FYI: For those of you who are interested, I'm now journaling my mental illness on this thread.
Chinese Proverb
_The Nehor
_Emeritus

Post by _The Nehor »

I'm the polar opposite...I hate having plans and structure. I have in the back of my mind a list of things that have to be done in the next week or so and do them when I feel like it. I have four books by the side of my bed and I read whichever one strikes me at the moment.

The only real schedule I have right now is for my lunch break. Lift weights one day, go swimming the next, back to weights and so on.

It can be a weakness because when I have a planned week I get depressed and just long for it to be over so I can be 'free' again. I don't think I'm lazy either. I do things all the time. I don't play a lot of video games and I don't get TV so I tend to be out and about or in a book or (far too often) here and on the two other message boards I frequent. I'd say over 80% of my message board activity is during work too.

Oh crap!!! My being bad at planning just struck again. I was supposed to meet some girls for ice cream today. I'm gonna get it.......DOH!!!!
"Surely he knows that DCP, The Nehor, Lamanite, and other key apologists..." -Scratch clarifying my status in apologetics
"I admit it; I'm a petty, petty man." -Some Schmo
_Jersey Girl
_Emeritus

Post by _Jersey Girl »

The Nehor wrote:I'm the polar opposite...I hate having plans and structure. I have in the back of my mind a list of things that have to be done in the next week or so and do them when I feel like it. I have four books by the side of my bed and I read whichever one strikes me at the moment.

The only real schedule I have right now is for my lunch break. Lift weights one day, go swimming the next, back to weights and so on.

It can be a weakness because when I have a planned week I get depressed and just long for it to be over so I can be 'free' again. I don't think I'm lazy either. I do things all the time. I don't play a lot of video games and I don't get TV so I tend to be out and about or in a book or (far too often) here and on the two other message boards I frequent. I'd say over 80% of my message board activity is during work too.

Oh crap!!! My being bad at planning just struck again. I was supposed to meet some girls for ice cream today. I'm gonna get it.......DOH!!!!

I can't imagine having no plans, but I'm trying. You plan for a week? I plan like every single day of my life. That's gotta be a form of mental illness! Well, I don't plan out my every move every single day, but I usually have a list of things I intend to accomplish each day...I mean even weekends!

I'm finding that I become agitated and restless without a sense of direction. At the moment, I can't decide which makes me more of a mental case...

Setting goals for each day or

Setting no goals and then trading my "to do" lists for reading this board and making mental lists of posters that I hate here.

In the normal course of things, I don't actually hate anyone here.

Well maybe a couple.

Could be you..ya just never know!

:-o
Chinese Proverb
_Imwashingmypirate
_Emeritus

Post by _Imwashingmypirate »

Hey, I don't think you have a mental illness. Everyone is different and we each do things that make us feel most comfortable and most safe. It is what we know. Like I feel safe in the Mormo church and there are people that think it is totally crazy, yet I go to a methodist church and I feel so out of place, can't wait to get back tothe Mormon church.

It is just that in your like routing and structure is something that makes you feel comfortable. We as humans need comfort and stability. Consistancy. If we are consistanly unorganised, it becomes comfortable to us and uf we are consistently organised, it beomes comfortab;e. We strive for consistency, it is within us.

Don't worry that yu have to plan everything or take mental notes. You can do things different but still keep the structure that makes you feel comfortable. There is no point taking yourself out of your comfort zone to do something if you can still do it in your comfort zone.

If you go smiing with a group of people by the way, you are less likely to do laps.

All the best,

Pirate.
Just punched myself on the face...
_Gazelam
_Emeritus

Post by _Gazelam »

I'm the same as nehor. I hate having plans. Going to work every day is all the structure I want in my life. If I have to be somewhere like a meeting during the week I get upset and can't wait for the commitment to be over.
We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light. - Plato