Chased by a Skunk

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
_KimberlyAnn
_Emeritus

Chased by a Skunk

Post by _KimberlyAnn »

I was jogging this morning in the neighborhood behind mine. The Talking Heads were on my iPod, and I was minding my own business.

"Hold tight. Wait till the party's over...

Hold tight. We're in for nasty weather...

There. Has. Got. To. Be. A. Way.

Burning down the house!"

There was a rustling in the tall grass ahead of me and to my right. It looked like a cat running though the brush, and it appeared we would shortly intersect. I kept my eye on the movement, but continued jogging. Suddenly, as the critter came closer to the street, I caught a glimpse of it's upright, bushy black and white tail and my heart almost jumped through my chest. It was a skunk!

It leaped over the curb and into the street less than twenty feet in front of me, tail erect and looking irritated. I made a quick turn-around and RAN, not jogged, in the opposite direction of Skunkie. I didn't scream, though I felt like it. I didn't want to do anything to cause the skunk to spray me.

The skunk just trotted along the side of the street, near the tall grass, following me as I ran. I was panicking. A good distance ahead of me were two construction workers who had been working on a new house being built, and they were having a good laugh at my expense while sitting on the tailgate of their pick-up truck. I ran past them and they stopped laughing and jumped into the cab of the truck as Skunkie neared them. That skunk was tenaciously following me, though in no real hurry, which was a relief to me because I don't usually run. I jog. And, I was wearing out!

Thankfully, I rounded a corner and Skunkie didn't follow me. I was so relieved. I cannot imagine how awful it would be to get sprayed by an angry skunk!

I can't figure out what caused the skunk to behave in such a way. Perhaps it had a nest of babies nearby? I dunno.

Anyway, I got my exercise today.

KA
_silentkid
_Emeritus

Re: Chased by a Skunk

Post by _silentkid »

KimberlyAnn wrote:
I can't figure out what caused the skunk to behave in such a way. Perhaps it had a nest of babies nearby? I dunno.

KA

The skunk is one of many animals that Satan has power over. The others include the snake, the pig, and the duck-billed platypus. You're lucky to have gotten away. I'm glad you're safe.
_Bond...James Bond
_Emeritus

Post by _Bond...James Bond »

Consider it motivation to run faster and further. The skunk is the next exercise supertrend! You'll burn calories, tighten up those thighs [which are already awesomely hot~I know], have nerves of steel, and be scared shitless! You'll lose triple the weight.
"Whatever appears to be against the Book of Mormon is going to be overturned at some time in the future. So we can be pretty open minded."-charity 3/7/07
_KimberlyAnn
_Emeritus

Post by _KimberlyAnn »

Bond...James Bond wrote: The skunk is the next exercise supertrend!

Well, I hope it works better than laughing my ass off. I've been attempting to LMAO for a couple of years now, to no avail. I even tried doing it to the oldies. No luck.

KA
_ludwigm
_Emeritus

Post by _ludwigm »

Bond...James Bond wrote:Consider it motivation to run faster and further. The skunk is the next exercise supertrend! You'll burn calories, tighten up those thighs [which are already awesomely hot~I know], have nerves of steel, and be scared ****less! You'll lose triple the weight.

On the next level, it will be Bagheera. Or Shere Khan.

- Whenever a poet or preacher, chief or wizard spouts gibberish, the human race spends centuries deciphering the message. - Umberto Eco
- To assert that the earth revolves around the sun is as erroneous as to claim that Jesus was not born of a virgin. - Cardinal Bellarmine at the trial of Galilei
_Gazelam
_Emeritus

Post by _Gazelam »

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light. - Plato
_JonasS
_Emeritus

Post by _JonasS »

Oh wow, that is funny but pretty scarey at the same time.

I think Skunks spraying isn't something they choose to do and I think it would be pretty uncomfortable for them. I think it is something that is out of their control.
"HOW DARE YOU KEEP US WAITING!!!!! I demand you post right this very instant or I'll... I'll... I'll hold my breath until I slump over and bang my head against the keyboard resulting in me posting something along the lines of "SR Wphgohbrfg76hou7wbn.xdf87e4iubnaelghe45auhnea4iunh eb9uih t4e9h eibn z"! "-- Angus McAwesome (Jul 21/08 11:51 pm)
_Sam Harris
_Emeritus

Post by _Sam Harris »

So sorry that you had to go through that, though happy that he didn't catch up with you. My country relatives were always scaring me with tales of skunk.

When riding to my dad's hometown, inevitably we'd pass through a section of highway where someone would hit a skunk. For about five to ten seconds there'd be the horrid funk, then it'd go away. It's terrible how much they stink when run over...

SO glad you didn't get hit. Jealous that you can run, I can't run at all. I'd have gotten sprayed...

Hate to say this, but the ads on this thread are funny. KA perhaps you can buy some skunk memorabalia off of ebay to commemorate your experience.
Each one has to find his peace from within. And peace to be real must be unaffected by outside circumstances. -Ghandi
_Sam Harris
_Emeritus

Post by _Sam Harris »

JonasS wrote:Oh wow, that is funny but pretty scarey at the same time.

I think Skunks spraying isn't something they choose to do and I think it would be pretty uncomfortable for them. I think it is something that is out of their control.

I was watching a show on animal planet last night where some fool had raised some skunks in captivity and went to set them out in the wild. I'm all for the protection of animals, and I guess it would suck for the sunk population to die out, but I honestly think those mongrels know what they're doing.

Saying they don't is like me farting under duress, that just doesn't happen. But my stepdad does fart when he laughs hard...and it's awful. He'll run after you doing it, too. Fill the whole house with that noxious stuff.

The guy who had to round the skunks up got sprayed every time he grabbed one. I am glad I wasn't him.
Each one has to find his peace from within. And peace to be real must be unaffected by outside circumstances. -Ghandi
_JonasS
_Emeritus

Post by _JonasS »

We don't get skunks in the UK, or at least I don't think so. I have never seen one.
"HOW DARE YOU KEEP US WAITING!!!!! I demand you post right this very instant or I'll... I'll... I'll hold my breath until I slump over and bang my head against the keyboard resulting in me posting something along the lines of "SR Wphgohbrfg76hou7wbn.xdf87e4iubnaelghe45auhnea4iunh eb9uih t4e9h eibn z"! "-- Angus McAwesome (Jul 21/08 11:51 pm)