The coronavirus spread updated in real time

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
_DoubtingThomas
_Emeritus

Re: The coronavirus spread updated in real time

Post by _DoubtingThomas »

Chap wrote:And I don't think Schmo is the only person to find it weird that the world's richest country still prefers a system of health care provision that can leave its citizens bankrupt.

I will probably vote for Sanders and I do like the idea of universal healthcare, but I do have some concerns. The US is by far leading in medical research. According to Brookings, "One issue that often gets raised is whether the profits from higher prices will all go directly into research and development. They almost certainly won’t. Owners and employees would share in any gains in the form of dividends, retained earnings, and compensation. There are other ways to finance innovation other than high prices, for example through public research (paid by taxes) and philanthropy. At the end of the day, however, evidence conclusively demonstrates that higher expected revenues leads to more drug discovery, with the most recent numbers suggesting that on average every $2.5 billion of additional revenue leads to a new drug approval."

https://www.brookings.edu/research/the- ... nnovation/
_ajax18
_Emeritus

Post by _ajax18 »

Some Schmo wrote:This is the kind of thing that makes me happy we have universal healthcare. I'd hate to think people are getting sick and afraid to go to the doctor.

Oh wait, I'm thinking of all the actual developed nations. This one thinks national security is limited to having big guns.

Forget what I said. Go virus go!

It's ok for Hong Kong to temporarily suspend travel from China, but not the US.
And when the confederates saw Jackson standing fearless as a stone wall the army of Northern Virginia took courage and drove the federal army off their land.
_ajax18
_Emeritus

Post by _ajax18 »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:SS,

Ok. My bad for poor wording. What kind of healthcare does your country of origin have?

- Doc

Apparently not good enough for Schmo to choose to live there.
And when the confederates saw Jackson standing fearless as a stone wall the army of Northern Virginia took courage and drove the federal army off their land.
_Some Schmo
_Emeritus

Post by _Some Schmo »

ajax18 wrote:Apparently not good enough for Schmo to choose to live there.

Yeah, I admit, when I was younger, I was stupid enough to buy into America's BS. I made a mistake.

At least I'm not stupid enough to ignore it now that I'm here.
God belief is for people who don't want to live life on the universe's terms.
_ajax18
_Emeritus

Post by _ajax18 »

If healthcare is so much better in that country, what stops you from going back to take advantage of that?
_Some Schmo
_Emeritus

Post by _Some Schmo »

ajax18 wrote:

If healthcare is so much better in that country, what stops you from going back to take advantage of that?

I think about it all the time. It may still happen. If my wife and daughter had their way, we'd already be there.
_ajax18
_Emeritus

Post by _ajax18 »

I think about it all the time. It may still happen. If my wife and daughter had their way, we'd already be there.

Hell, I might even join you. I hear you can still collect SSI and use your medicare. I like the warm weather and beaches. I'm not sure about giving up my guns though.
_Dr. Shades
_Emeritus

Post by _Dr. Shades »

Jersey Girl wrote:Oh good. Now I can watch my travel plans disappear before my very eyes. Thanks so much.

Did I do you a disservice?

If so, don't let a silly map ruin your travel plans.
"Finally, for your rather strange idea that miracles are somehow linked to the amount of gay sexual gratification that is taking place would require that primitive Christianity was launched by gay sex, would it not?"

--Louis Midgley
_Gunnar
_Emeritus

Post by _Gunnar »

Some Schmo wrote:I could go to a doctor any time I needed to and it was free.

I will say this: I believe in co-pays. I think the patient should have some skin in the game. Call it a usage tax. That way, everyone who really needs it will seek it without abusing the system. There's a happy medium in there.

I agree about the co-pays. But they should only be high enough to discourage taking frivolous advantage of the healthcare system, and encourage people to invest in maintaining their own health and physical fitness, and not so high as to bankrupt the average person for any serious medical emergency.
No precept or claim is more likely to be false than one that can only be supported by invoking the claim of Divine authority for it--no matter who or what claims such authority.

“If you make people think they're thinking, they'll love you; but if you really make them think, they'll hate you.”
― Harlan Ellison
_Some Schmo
_Emeritus

Post by _Some Schmo »

Gunnar wrote:I agree about the co-pays. But they should only be high enough to discourage taking frivolous advantage of the healthcare system, and encourage people to invest in maintaining their own health and physical fitness, and not so high as to bankrupt the average person for any serious medical emergency.

You and I agree on pretty much everything. It's remarkable to me.

I was thinking about those details, but wasn't sure anyone cared. My opinion would be that co-pays would need to be progressive, based on income, like income taxes. Just enough to make whoever is paying them only go when they really want to see a doctor. (That means filthy rich people pay full price).

We're just trying to avoid people taking advantage of the system by seeing the doctor for frivolous crap, like getting their toenails clipped.