Will Trump leave if defeated in 2020?

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
_aussieguy55
_Emeritus

Will Trump leave if defeated in 2020?

Post by _aussieguy55 »

Bill Maher was discussion this issue on his show tonight. Would Trump use the military or his Maga hat people to stay in power? Would this be the first time?
Hilary Clinton " I won the places that represent two-thirds of America's GDP.I won in places are optimistic diverse, dynamic, moving forward"
_moksha
_Emeritus

Re: Will Trump leave if defeated in 2020?

Post by _moksha »

The fact that Trump is the opposite of a "stable genius" could influence the outcome. He has the nuclear launch codes, an army of alt-right gun toters, and the Russian army at his beck and call.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
_moksha
_Emeritus

Post by _moksha »

Now that we know Trump has screamed that the military is "a bunch of dopes and babies" perhaps they would not support him if he goes like "all mad tyrant" on America.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
_DarkHelmet
_Emeritus

Post by _DarkHelmet »

Let's worry about defeating Trump in the election first. I really don't care what he does after he loses. He can go f himself. This reminds me of 2016 when people assumed Trump would lose and worried about him not accepting the outcome of the election. He's an incumbent with a rabid base of followers. The Republican party is strongly united behind him, and the economy is strong. There's a very good chance he is re-elected. The democratic party must nominate a candidate who can win the battleground states. They need to win back white, blue collar voters in the upper midwest or we can all look forward to another 4 years of MAGA rallies.

But to answer Bill Maher's question, if Trump is defeated he will leave office. He and Putin haven't eroded our democracy enough for him to ignore the constitution and stay in power. There aren't enough hard core MAGA hat people to successfully pull off a coup.
"We have taken up arms in defense of our liberty, our property, our wives, and our children; we are determined to preserve them, or die."
- Captain Moroni - 'Address to the Inhabitants of Canada' 1775
_EAllusion
_Emeritus

Post by _EAllusion »

moksha wrote:Now that we know Trump has screamed that the military is "a bunch of dopes and babies" perhaps they would not support him if he goes like "all mad tyrant" on America.

That's in reference to the top military brass. People underneath that tier might sympathize with him and not mind those comments at all. The volunteer military draws from some of the most Trumpish segments of our society. It wouldn't be surprising if there is a large contingent within the military that have thoroughly drunk the koolaid.

I don't think Trump is going to use to the military to prevent leaving office. There's probably an edge case where Trump and fellow Republicans use a close election loss to argue that manufactured "irregularities" prove it was illegitimate in an effort to reverse the outcome, but the military coup scenario aussie is fantasizing about seems extremely unlikely at this point. That's not how modern right-wing authoritarians roll. It's the courts stacked with Republican partisan hacks backed by right-wing disinformation you have to worry about.
_EAllusion
_Emeritus

Post by _EAllusion »

Don't worry though. I'm told that Republicans are obsessed with sound infosec practices in the Whitehouse, so this story means Trump is gonna lose in a landslide:

https://www.cnn.com/2020/01/18/politics ... index.html