CNN settles with Sandmann

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
_honorentheos
_Emeritus

Re: CNN settles with Sandmann

Post by _honorentheos »

Jersey Girl wrote:
honorentheos wrote:Smokey and Bach being the same person does make sense.

for what it's worth I don't hear Smokey or Bach in iwtt's posts. There's plenty of dysfunctional and illiterate people in the world. They don't need to replicate themselves via sock for they are legion.

Smokes? Totally. Bach? It was tongue-in-cheek, referencing the fact the last time this thread topic came up Bach started it and used almost the exact same OP. Whether or not they are the same person is irrelevant but it's funny to me that Bach and Smokey 2.0 started identical threads.
The world is always full of the sound of waves..but who knows the heart of the sea, a hundred feet down? Who knows it's depth?
~ Eiji Yoshikawa
_iwanttotalk
_Emeritus

Post by _iwanttotalk »

This is known as in-group (us) and out-group (them). Social identity theory states that the in-group will discriminate against the out-group to enhance their self-image. The central hypothesis of social identity theory is that group members of an in-group will seek to find negative aspects of an out-group, thus enhancing their self-image.

Human ethnocentrism—the tendency to view one's group as centrally important and superior to other groups—creates intergroup bias that fuels prejudice, xenophobia, and intergroup violence. Grounded in the idea that ethnocentrism also facilitates within-group trust, cooperation, and coordination, we conjecture that ethnocentrism may be modulated by brain oxytocin, a peptide shown to promote cooperation among in-group members. ....These findings call into question the view of oxytocin as an indiscriminate “love drug” or “cuddle chemical” and suggest that oxytocin has a role in the emergence of intergroup conflict and violence.

We tend to communicate positive in-group and negative out-group behaviors more abstractly than negative in-group and positive out-group behaviors, which are communicated more explicitly.

Abstract communications tends to be persistent over time. Thus we use abstraction to imply that in-group people are more consistently good and out-group people are consistently bad.

When problems occur, people do not like to blame themselves. They will thus actively seek scapegoats onto whom we can displace our aggression. These may be out-group individuals or even entire groups. Like bullies, we will often pick on powerless people who cannot easily resist.

Scapegoating increases when people are frustrated and seeking an outlet for their anger.

Once cast as a scapegoat it can be difficult to shake off the classification. ....
Weatherly (1961) got students frustrated and then asked them to write stories based on given pictures. Where the people in the pictures were given Jewish names, students with anti-Semitic tendencies wrote stories that included aggression towards the Jewish characters.

The neuroscience of in-group bias

Conflicts between the two groups started with name-calling and singing derogatory songs about the out-group but soon escalated into physical violence between the two groups (Sherif et al., 1961).

From second grade on, a small elite group spent a large portion of their time harassing two or three of the others. I was one of those two or three, though I don’t know why. In most cases when children get picked on, they aren’t good at sports or they read too much or they wear the wrong clothes or they are of a different race. But in my class, we all read too much and didn’t know how to play sports. We had also been brought up to carefully respect each other’s races. This is what was so strange about my situation. Usually, people are made outcasts because they are in some way different from the larger group. But in my class, large differences did not exist. It was as if the outcasts were invented by the group out of a need for them. Differences between us did not cause hatred; hatred caused differences between us.

The harassment was subtle. It came in the form of muffled giggles when I talked, and rolled eyes when I turned around. If I was out in the playground and approached a group of people, they often fell silent. Sometimes someone would not see me coming and I would catch the tail end of a joke at my expense.

I also have a memory of a different kind. There was another girl in our class who was perhaps even more rejected than I. She also tried harder than I did for acceptance, providing the group with ample material for jokes. One day during lunch I was sitting outside watching a basketball game. One of the popular girls in the class came up to me to show me something she said I wouldn’t want to miss. We walked to a corner of the playground where a group of three or four sat. One of them read aloud from a small book, which I was told was the girl’s diary. I sat down and, laughing till my sides hurt, heard my voice finally blend with the others. Looking back, I wonder how I could have participated in mocking this girl when I knew perfectly well what it felt like to be mocked myself. I would like to say that if I were in that situation today I would react differently, but I can’t honestly be sure. Often being accepted by others is more satisfying than being accepted by oneself, even though the satisfaction does not last. Too often our actions are determined by the moment.

Ohhh yes you are all so wonderful and intelligent. You are enlightned. Youve got it all figured out.... so long as you conform .... and if you don't! Beware! Lol.

My jokes are much funnier than yours. And by the way at least russian trolls have a sense of humor which is more than i can say for you lot.

Wake up sheeple!!!
_canpakes
_Emeritus

Post by _canpakes »

Jersey Girl wrote:Oh so you DO know who I am. If you even look like you're going to post pic of me pole dancing you better put a ring camera on that chicken house.

:lol:

Pretty sure that pole dancing is a legit fitness option in most places these days, so those pics shouldn’t shock too many folks. : D
_canpakes
_Emeritus

Post by _canpakes »

iwanttotalk wrote:Ohhh yes you are all so wonderful and intelligent. You are enlightned. Youve got it all figured out.... so long as you conform .... and if you don't! Beware! Lol.

My jokes are much funnier than yours. And by the way at least russian trolls have a sense of humor which is more than i can say for you lot.

Wake up sheeple!!!

Yes, yes ... of course ...

_moksha
_Emeritus

Post by _moksha »

Jersey Girl wrote:Do you know who I am?

Fiorello LaGuardia? Mamie Eisenhower? Pink?
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
_Some Schmo
_Emeritus

Post by _Some Schmo »

iwanttotalk wrote:My jokes are much funnier than yours.

Do you have any examples? I can't remember any.

iwanttotalk wrote:And by the way at least russian trolls have a sense of humor which is more than i can say for you lot.

Are you trying to claim you're a Russian troll?

I thought Putin was a billionaire. Can't he afford better talent, or is he just cheap?
God belief is for people who don't want to live life on the universe's terms.
_Jersey Girl
_Emeritus

Post by _Jersey Girl »

moksha wrote:
Jersey Girl wrote:Do you know who I am?

Fiorello LaGuardia? Mamie Eisenhower? Pink?

Get out of my Facebook you hacker!
Failure is not falling down but refusing to get up.
Chinese Proverb
_Jersey Girl
_Emeritus

Post by _Jersey Girl »

canpakes wrote:
Jersey Girl wrote:Oh so you DO know who I am. If you even look like you're going to post pic of me pole dancing you better put a ring camera on that chicken house.

:lol:

Pretty sure that pole dancing is a legit fitness option in most places these days, so those pics shouldn’t shock too many folks. : D

I mean the shots from the strip club I'm moonlighting at.
Failure is not falling down but refusing to get up.
Chinese Proverb