Please tell me this is fake

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
_Icarus
_Emeritus

Please tell me this is fake

Post by _Icarus »

ICE created a fake University. Then targeted foreign born students to attend. Charged them tuition. Then arrested them and deported them. The students were here legally on student visas. But since the college was fake, the visas were invalid.

https://amp.freep.com/amp/4277686002?__ ... bDrhVjrktk
"One of the hardest things for me to accept is the fact that Kevin Graham has blonde hair, blue eyes and an English last name. This ugly truth blows any arguments one might have for actual white supremacism out of the water. He's truly a disgrace." - Ajax
_canpakes
_Emeritus

Re: Please tell me this is fake

Post by _canpakes »

Crazy. What’s the point? Do ICE agents need work, so they’re manufacturing a fake college to entice folks to obtain visas, come here and get arrested?
_Chap
_Emeritus

Post by _Chap »

canpakes wrote:Do ICE agents need work, so they’re manufacturing a fake college to entice folks to obtain visas, come here and get arrested?

It is not uncommon for enforcement agencies like ICE to be given targets to meet. Sadly, one result of that is the deliberate creation of 'offending' opportunities like this, which make it easy to meet those targets without having to do anything particularly useful or demanding.
Zadok:
I did not have a faith crisis. I discovered that the Church was having a truth crisis.
Maksutov:
That's the problem with this supernatural stuff, it doesn't really solve anything. It's a placeholder for ignorance.
_Icarus
_Emeritus

Post by _Icarus »

I understand setting traps for people here illegally, but in this case they're setting traps for people here LEGALLY and are getting them deported on a technicality.
"One of the hardest things for me to accept is the fact that Kevin Graham has blonde hair, blue eyes and an English last name. This ugly truth blows any arguments one might have for actual white supremacism out of the water. He's truly a disgrace." - Ajax
_Res Ipsa
_Emeritus

Post by _Res Ipsa »

I had to read a couple of articles to actually understand what this was about.

The target of the investigation is people arguably running a scam on the foreign students. A student enters on a valid student visa. To keep it, he has to be progressing toward a degree. At some point, they are recruited to a different school. The recruiter charges them a hefty finders fee. The new school actually isn’t a real school — it offers no actual classes. What it does is hook them up with jobs. One can work while on a student visa, as long as one is taking classes and progressing toward a degree. But the fake schools don’t offer any classes at all, so the students are no longer entitled to stay here.

The ICE school was a sting, but the criminal charges are against the recruiters, not the students. But the students are not eligible to stay under the terms of their visas. ICE argues that reporting them is fair because they knowingly participated in the scam. They knew they had to be taking classes, they knew the school didn’t offer any classes, but they paid the recruiter fee because they wanted to stay here and work. And they didn’t have employment Visas. The students say the recruiter lied to them and said that what the school was doing was legal and that they would still be eligible to keep their visas.

I don’t know who is telling the truth, but that’s the story. The targets were the recruiter. The students are collateral damage. One could certainly argue that the fair thing to do would have been to give the students some period of time to enroll in a real school and get back in status.
​“The ideal subject of totalitarian rule is not the convinced Nazi or the dedicated communist, but people for whom the distinction between fact and fiction, true and false, no longer exists.”

― Hannah Arendt, The Origins of Totalitarianism, 1951
_Icarus
_Emeritus

Post by _Icarus »

Res Ipsa wrote:I had to read a couple of articles to actually understand what this was about.

The target of the investigation is people arguably running a scam on the foreign students. A student enters on a valid student visa. To keep it, he has to be progressing toward a degree. At some point, they are recruited to a different school. The recruiter charges them a hefty finders fee. The new school actually isn’t a real school — it offers no actual classes. What it does is hook them up with jobs. One can work while on a student visa, as long as one is taking classes and progressing toward a degree. But the fake schools don’t offer any classes at all, so the students are no longer entitled to stay here.

The ICE school was a sting, but the criminal charges are against the recruiters, not the students. But the students are not eligible to stay under the terms of their visas. ICE argues that reporting them is fair because they knowingly participated in the scam. They knew they had to be taking classes, they knew the school didn’t offer any classes, but they paid the recruiter fee because they wanted to stay here and work. And they didn’t have employment Visas. The students say the recruiter lied to them and said that what the school was doing was legal and that they would still be eligible to keep their visas.

I don’t know who is telling the truth, but that’s the story. The targets were the recruiter. The students are collateral damage. One could certainly argue that the fair thing to do would have been to give the students some period of time to enroll in a real school and get back in status.

Ok, thanks RI, that seems far more plausible than the HS building a fake school.
_subgenius
_Emeritus

Post by _subgenius »

ICE argues that reporting them is fair because they knowingly participated in the scam. They knew they had to be taking classes, they knew the school didn’t offer any classes, but they paid the recruiter fee because they wanted to stay here and work. And they didn’t have employment Visas.
Which is a really good argument.
Seek freedom and become captive of your desires...seek discipline and find your liberty
I can tell if a person is judgmental just by looking at them
what is chaos to the fly is normal to the spider - morticia addams
If you're not upsetting idiots, you might be an idiot. - Ted Nugent
_moksha
_Emeritus

Post by _moksha »

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nat ... 317788002/

Was this inspired by Trump University?
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace