Why the English dislike Trump.

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
_Some Schmo
_Emeritus

Re: Why the English dislike Trump.

Post by _Some Schmo »

aussieguy55 wrote:You have so many checks and balances...

I believe Chap may have been referring to Boris Johnson.
God belief is for people who don't want to live life on the universe's terms.
_Chap
_Emeritus

Post by _Chap »

Perfume on my Mind wrote:
aussieguy55 wrote:You have so many checks and balances...

I believe Chap may have been referring to Boris Johnson.

I suppose that's just possible ....
Zadok:
I did not have a faith crisis. I discovered that the Church was having a truth crisis.
Maksutov:
That's the problem with this supernatural stuff, it doesn't really solve anything. It's a placeholder for ignorance.
_aussieguy55
_Emeritus

Post by _aussieguy55 »

At the last election even though Murdoch was attacking Labor in his papers and on Skynews the Conservatives have to rely on the MPs from a conservative party in Northern Island to govern. In the brexit debate some conservatives have opposed Johnson.
Hilary Clinton " I won the places that represent two-thirds of America's GDP.I won in places are optimistic diverse, dynamic, moving forward"
_aussieguy55
_Emeritus

Post by _aussieguy55 »

Hilary Clinton " I won the places that represent two-thirds of America's GDP.I won in places are optimistic diverse, dynamic, moving forward"
_Gunnar
_Emeritus

Post by _Gunnar »

Perfume on my Mind wrote:
MeDotOrg wrote:I think there is a subtext to a lot of aussieguy's posts: Americans are fat, stupid, uneducated boors. Now there are more than a few Americans who fit that description, but it does seem like that is the predominant theme of many of his postings.

Well, I have to say that this has been on my mind a lot more lately too.

I work in an industry that demands smart people, so I'm quite certain that my view of Americans had been somewhat skewed by the people I've worked with over the years. I say this because it was a complete shock to me that there were enough stupid people in this country for Trump to win. That was truly unnerving to learn, and I still haven't quite recovered.

I think I may have swung too far the other way (Americans probably aren't as stupid as it currently feels like they are), but it's hard not to do so, given the obviousness of Trump's lack of fitness/competence.

I feel much the same way. It was also a complete shock to me how large was the minority of Americans stupid, bigoted and/or ignorant enough to be taken in by Trump's scams and lies and actually vote for him. There certainly are more than a few Americans who are fat, stupid, uneducated boors--even more than I was ready to believe. I still don't think they yet really constitute a majority of the American electorate, however, and I doubt that even aussieguy thinks that. Like most people, though, we tend to get more defensive and offended when even legitimate criticism comes from an outsider, other than from one of our own.
No precept or claim is more likely to be false than one that can only be supported by invoking the claim of Divine authority for it--no matter who or what claims such authority.

“If you make people think they're thinking, they'll love you; but if you really make them think, they'll hate you.”
― Harlan Ellison
_subgenius
_Emeritus

Post by _subgenius »

aussieguy55 wrote:Good grief I thought it was only about Trump not Americans in general. Our government and opposition made a an apology for what we did to our indigenous people. We have programs to uplift many folks. We recognize their right to the land. Much needs to be done.

Oh, so there is no racism problem in Australia- whew! what a relief...must just be how them Aussie newspapers sell copy....probably just a fad, right?
Seek freedom and become captive of your desires...seek discipline and find your liberty
I can tell if a person is judgmental just by looking at them
what is chaos to the fly is normal to the spider - morticia addams
If you're not upsetting idiots, you might be an idiot. - Ted Nugent
_Gunnar
_Emeritus

Post by _Gunnar »

subgenius wrote:Oh, so there is no racism problem in Australia- whew! what a relief...must just be how them Aussie newspapers sell copy....probably just a fad, right?

Stop being so stupid! :mad: Even aussieguy is not claiming that, and you know it!
No precept or claim is more likely to be false than one that can only be supported by invoking the claim of Divine authority for it--no matter who or what claims such authority.

“If you make people think they're thinking, they'll love you; but if you really make them think, they'll hate you.”
― Harlan Ellison
_EAllusion
_Emeritus

Post by _EAllusion »

There is an irony in that the advantage of the American presidential democracy with a two-party system was supposed to be its resilience against a Donald Trump being elected compared to a multi-party parliamentary system. I imagine some of the posters here were taught this like me in political science. As it turns out, we elected Donald Trump in real life and parliamentary systems would've already corrected that by now while we're stuck.

Presidential democracies tend to fall into authoritarian rule at an alarming rate, and it seems what insulated the US for so long had a lot to do with norms inside internal party machinery that are breaking down.
_Chap
_Emeritus

Post by _Chap »

aussieguy55 wrote:At the last election even though Murdoch was attacking Labor in his papers and on Skynews the Conservatives have to rely on the MPs from a conservative party in Northern Island to govern. In the brexit debate some conservatives have opposed Johnson.

"Northern IRELAND" for goodness' sake (UK, not New Zealand, OK?). If you can't even spell the name of the critical problem area in the entire negotiation, maybe you should pause the punditry for a while.
Zadok:
I did not have a faith crisis. I discovered that the Church was having a truth crisis.
Maksutov:
That's the problem with this supernatural stuff, it doesn't really solve anything. It's a placeholder for ignorance.