UFO videos

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
_DoubtingThomas
_Emeritus

UFO videos

Post by _DoubtingThomas »

"The US Navy just confirmed these UFO videos are the real deal"
https://www.cnn.com/2019/09/18/politics ... index.html

I doubt that aliens visit our planet, but I do think is very likely that alien probes exists somewhere in the solar system. If there are no alien probes in the solar system it would mean that intelligent life is probably rare.

Could the objects in the UFO videos be alien probes? I do not know, but the videos are very interesting.
_Gunnar
_Emeritus

Re: UFO videos

Post by _Gunnar »

I certainly share your doubt that these UFOs are alien spaceships. The important part of "UFO" is the "U" part, that is, "unidentified". One can't logically call them "UFOs" while at the same time identifying them as any particular thing--including alien spaceships. That is inherently self-contradictory. I don't share your view that it is at all likely that alien probes exist somewhere in our solar system, though it may be impossible to absolutely rule out that possibility. That we are the only intelligent life in the universe is extremely improbable, I'm sure, but I am nevertheless inclined to accept that intelligent life is quite rare--so rare that it is quite unlikely that any alien probes have found their way to our particular solar system.
No precept or claim is more likely to be false than one that can only be supported by invoking the claim of Divine authority for it--no matter who or what claims such authority.

“If you make people think they're thinking, they'll love you; but if you really make them think, they'll hate you.”
― Harlan Ellison
_Maksutov
_Emeritus

Post by _Maksutov »

Mick West has thoroughly debunked the videos.

Retired rock stars aren't a good source of science unless they're Brian May.
"God" is the original deus ex machina. --Maksutov
_MeDotOrg
_Emeritus

Post by _MeDotOrg »

By the time a signal from an intelligent life form gets to earth that civilization could be dead and gone. Same with a signal from earth to another advanced life form.

Unless there is faster than light travel or quantum tunneling or some other back door through the universe, the fact that we humans are stuck in space and time greatly reduces our capacity to explore, let alone communicate with extraterrestrial life.

That also means it will probably be millions of years before another civilization knows that Donald Trump was once President of the United States, so we have a lot of time to cover our tracks.
"The great problem of any civilization is how to rejuvenate itself without rebarbarization."
- Will Durant
"We've kept more promises than we've even made"
- Donald Trump
"Of what meaning is the world without mind? The question cannot exist."
- Edwin Land