MDB Bible Study

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
_honorentheos
_Emeritus

Re: MormonDiscussions.com Bible Study

Post by _honorentheos »

Lemmie wrote:Me too, I haven’t done RPG play before but I’ve always been interested. Unless this is like golf or something where newbies are too impossibly gauche to play (!) then I’ll just observe. If allowed. :geek:

I'd say the more the merrier! I checked out Res Ipsa's pdf for Archipelago and liked how it was set up, putting the creation of the characters, world, and pretty much everything needed into the process of story building. I could see it working.

That said, I thought I'd dip in a toe into the thread Schmo started with a bit of story-telling style play. I'd love to see what you come up with for a character. I think Schmo is basing it on D&D so there are plenty of websites that describe the classes. And frankly I'd expect on MDB we would put story over rules anyway so I would think being creative is absolutely allowed. :smile:
The world is always full of the sound of waves..but who knows the heart of the sea, a hundred feet down? Who knows it's depth?
~ Eiji Yoshikawa
_honorentheos
_Emeritus

Re: MDB Bible Study

Post by _honorentheos »

To add to my post, I'd suggest thinking up something for your character that others won't know that you can reveal over time. For example, a fallen angel hiding their identity pretending to be a Paladin would be a cool character that could lend itself to a lot of narrative building and discovery down the road. In a normal game that would be the sort of thing you run by the DM offline so they are in the loop and can help ensure nothing too crazy happens while also accepting that weird things might happen with your character that hint at their being more than just a mortal. You may reach out to Schmo in a PM and see how he feels about that sort of thing if that kind of major backstory plot is something you are interested in since he'd basically DMing this. Anyway, I'd expect to just have fun with it. I think this could be pretty cool. :)
The world is always full of the sound of waves..but who knows the heart of the sea, a hundred feet down? Who knows it's depth?
~ Eiji Yoshikawa
_Some Schmo
_Emeritus

Post by _Some Schmo »

honorentheos wrote:
Lemmie wrote:Me too, I haven’t done RPG play before but I’ve always been interested. Unless this is like golf or something where newbies are too impossibly gauche to play (!) then I’ll just observe. If allowed. :geek:

I'd say the more the merrier! I checked out Res Ipsa's pdf for Archipelago and liked how it was set up, putting the creation of the characters, world, and pretty much everything needed into the process of story building. I could see it working.

That said, I thought I'd dip in a toe into the thread Schmo started with a bit of story-telling style play. I'd love to see what you come up with for a character. I think Schmo is basing it on D&D so there are plenty of websites that describe the classes. And frankly I'd expect on MDB we would put story over rules anyway so I would think being creative is absolutely allowed. :smile:

Lemmie, I absolutely agree with honor here. You are entirely welcome to create a character and join in. You don't really need to know any of the D&D rules to participate. You just need some imagination! You can be anything you want to be, from a stealthy thief/assassin type to a robed wizard/sorcerer spell caster to a meaty barbarian warrior. Give them a name and a little backstory hook and go to town!

Honor, I had originally planned to DM that thread, but only loosely. For instance, to get started, I would leave it up to anybody bringing a character to create their own scene with the guards. They can decide if their encounter is successful or not.

I'm also wondering if we can turn that thread into an Archipelago style game. The most appealing thing about that is the focus on improvisation and feeding off each other's creativity.
God belief is for people who don't want to live life on the universe's terms.
_Ceeboo
_Emeritus

Post by _Ceeboo »

Dup
Last edited by Guest on Sun Aug 25, 2019 2:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
_Ceeboo
_Emeritus

Post by _Ceeboo »

Hey all,
No posts in the thread in a while.
Anyone still interested in the Bible study?
_honorentheos
_Emeritus

Post by _honorentheos »

honorentheos wrote:
Ceeboo wrote:If a spiritual realm exists- then it would obviously affect reality because it's real. It exists.
If a spiritual realm does not exist - then it would obviously not affect reality because it's not real. It doesn't exist.

Yes, I think we're getting somewhere. Hopefully there's cold beer when we get there. :smile:

So if there is a spirit realm that exists and affects reality then how is it effecting reality? Like an object with mass whose gravity may not be seen but can be otherwise sensed or affects objects around it, if it affects reality then how does it do so?

If instead we say a person who believes in a spirit realm may choose to interpret what they see and experience differently from one who does not, we could say that about tons of things we know aren't real as objects but only exist as concepts. Disney Princesses and unicorns or black helicopters and chem trails, a better future hoped for but not seen or everyone is out to get you...belief in such can affect how a person behaves and how they experience the world around them. But they are not of a class with things that, when seen and experienced, cause people's interpretations of what they saw and experienced to converge because there is something to them that is beyond just what occurs in ones mind.

My question then is if the spirit realm is something that, when it affects reality, results in a convergence of shared understanding of what was seen and experienced? Or is this more a belief like other concepts in the category of conceptual things that influence a person entirely subjectively where it is influencing how a person understands the inputs they are receiving from their senses, etc.?
~ Eiji Yoshikawa
_Doctor CamNC4Me
_Emeritus

Post by _Doctor CamNC4Me »

Ceeboo wrote:Hey all,
No posts in the thread in a while.
Anyone still interested in the Bible study?

I'm kind of into the Song of Solomon right now if you feel like exploring it.

- Doc
In the face of madness, rationality has no power - Xiao Wang, US historiographer, 2287 AD.

Every record...falsified, every book rewritten...every statue...has been renamed or torn down, every date...altered...the process is continuing...minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Ideology is always right.
_Ceeboo
_Emeritus

Post by _Ceeboo »

For some reason, I have never prayed for the MDB community as a whole (Not sure why I haven't?) - For the first time, I have just finished praying for the entire MDB community - that the God of the Bible would reveal himself.
_Lemmie
_Emeritus

Post by _Lemmie »

Ceeboo wrote: For the first time, I have just finished praying for the entire MDB community - that the God of the Bible would reveal himself.

I'm thinking Doc Cam wasn't quite referring to that kind of reveal in his Songs of Solomon exploration. Besides, being flashed by a deity sounds a little sketchy. What exactly are you holding over the guy to get him to do that?
_honorentheos
_Emeritus

Post by _honorentheos »

honorentheos wrote:
Ceeboo wrote:If a spiritual realm exists- then it would obviously affect reality because it's real. It exists.
If a spiritual realm does not exist - then it would obviously not affect reality because it's not real. It doesn't exist.

Yes, I think we're getting somewhere. Hopefully there's cold beer when we get there. :smile:

So if there is a spirit realm that exists and affects reality then how is it effecting reality? Like an object with mass whose gravity may not be seen but can be otherwise sensed or affects objects around it, if it affects reality then how does it do so?

If instead we say a person who believes in a spirit realm may choose to interpret what they see and experience differently from one who does not, we could say that about tons of things we know aren't real as objects but only exist as concepts. Disney Princesses and unicorns or black helicopters and chem trails, a better future hoped for but not seen or everyone is out to get you...belief in such can affect how a person behaves and how they experience the world around them. But they are not of a class with things that, when seen and experienced, cause people's interpretations of what they saw and experienced to converge because there is something to them that is beyond just what occurs in ones mind.

My question then is if the spirit realm is something that, when it affects reality, results in a convergence of shared understanding of what was seen and experienced? Or is this more a belief like other concepts in the category of conceptual things that influence a person entirely subjectively where it is influencing how a person understands the inputs they are receiving from their senses, etc.?

Maybe by answering this you can put a little action behind the faith in your prayer?
~ Eiji Yoshikawa