Mueller to testify publicly in House Hearing on July 17th

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
_MeDotOrg
_Emeritus

Mueller to testify publicly in House Hearing on July 17th

Post by _MeDotOrg »

And away we go!

CNN wrote:Robert Mueller will testify before Congress on July 17 after House Democrats issued a subpoena for his appearance, a move that paves the way for a reluctant special counsel to answer questions publicly for the first time about his 22-month investigation into President Donald Trump.

The House Judiciary and Intelligence Committees announced Tuesday that Mueller had agreed to testify after they issued subpoenas for his testimony, and Mueller would appear in public before the two panels next month.

I honestly don't know what to expect. I'm not sure what ground rules may apply. Mueller has been so reticent to testify. Will his testimony be so circumspect that it will make no real impact? Or will his reluctance make his testimony all the more powerful? And how will Republicans on the committee handle their cross-examination?

I think you'd have to go back to John Dean's testimony to find a more anticipated event. Mueller might get better ratings than The Apprentice.
"The great problem of any civilization is how to rejuvenate itself without rebarbarization."
- Will Durant
"We've kept more promises than we've even made"
- Donald Trump
"Of what meaning is the world without mind? The question cannot exist."
- Edwin Land
_Res Ipsa
_Emeritus

Re: Mueller to testify publicly in House Hearing on July 17t

Post by _Res Ipsa »

I doubt the Republicans on the committee will do much cross examination. Cross examination will just emphasize the contents of the report. Instead, they will speak at length about their crazy-ass conspiracy theories, asking just a question or two designed to be a sound bite on Fox.
​“The ideal subject of totalitarian rule is not the convinced Nazi or the dedicated communist, but people for whom the distinction between fact and fiction, true and false, no longer exists.”

― Hannah Arendt, The Origins of Totalitarianism, 1951
_Some Schmo
_Emeritus

Post by _Some Schmo »

I don't think there is anything that can sway the Trump cult. These people voted for a self-confessed pussy grabber. They've been indelibly conned. No amount a sense or evidence will penetrate their addled perceptions.
God belief is for people who don't want to live life on the universe's terms.
_moksha
_Emeritus

Post by _moksha »

Res Ipsa wrote:I doubt the Republicans on the committee will do much cross-examination.

Republican committee members will do grandstanding, while the President will be actively tweeting insults at Mueller during the meeting.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
_ajax18
_Emeritus

Post by _ajax18 »

I doubt the Republicans on the committee will do much cross examination.

I'm sure Mueller hopes so since this is why he didn't want to testify in the first place.
And when the confederates saw Jackson standing fearless as a stone wall the army of Northern Virginia took courage and drove the federal army off their land.
_Kevin Graham
_Emeritus

Post by _Kevin Graham »

ajax18 wrote:

I'm sure Mueller hopes so since this is why he didn't want to testify in the first place.

I pray to God they try to cross-examine him on your idiotic Deep State nonsense.
_subgenius
_Emeritus

Post by _subgenius »

Honestly, can't see why any Democrat would be excited about Mueller appearing on these public panels. It is such a blatant publicity stunt, but meh. Nevertheless, I understand that Mueller's appearance will change the opinion of no one anywhere. The real takeaway is that through the desperation of Dems burning hair over the following....they have handfuls of nothing:
1. "Trump may not concede? Election results must be honored"
2. "Racist"
3. "Elitist"
4. "Stormy"
5. "Russia"
6. "Stormy"
7. "Racist dog whistles"
8. "White Supremacy"
9. "Dr Ford"
10. "Kavanaugh"
11. "Concentration Camps"
12. "Economic ruin"
13. "No more healthcare"
14. "Nuclear destruction"
15. "Russia"
16. "Campaign fraud"
17. "Tax fraud"
18. "Mental instability"
19. "Freedom of the Press"

and the list goes on, yet not charges, no evidence, and no real substance gained by this inept campaign by essentially sore losers who could not fathom that Hillary Clinton would lose the election.

Just look at the DNC debate from yesterday, +70% of Americans know the economy to be doing well, but every Dem candidate stood in front of the camera and told that +70% that it is not....its an arrogance and futility of platform that makes 2020 look good to me!
Seek freedom and become captive of your desires...seek discipline and find your liberty
I can tell if a person is judgmental just by looking at them
what is chaos to the fly is normal to the spider - morticia addams
If you're not upsetting idiots, you might be an idiot. - Ted Nugent
_canpakes
_Emeritus

Post by _canpakes »

Are we taking bets on how many minutes it will take for a Republican in the room to mention ‘Hillary’s emails’? : D
_Res Ipsa
_Emeritus

Post by _Res Ipsa »

ajax18 wrote:

You misunderstand. Cross examination would be based on the contents of the report. The last thing Republicans want to talk about is what the report says.

Mueller’s not afraid of your delusional conspiracy nonsense.
​“The ideal subject of totalitarian rule is not the convinced Nazi or the dedicated communist, but people for whom the distinction between fact and fiction, true and false, no longer exists.”

_Res Ipsa
_Emeritus

Post by _Res Ipsa »

canpakes wrote:Are we taking bets on how many minutes it will take for a Republican in the room to mention ‘Hillary’s emails’? : D

Caution: playing a drinking game based on Hillary’s e-mails or mentions of the deep state runs a substantial risk of death by alcohol poisoning.