Unbelievable Cruelty Towards Migrant Children

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
_MeDotOrg
_Emeritus

Re: Unbelievable Cruelty Towards Migrant Children

Post by _MeDotOrg »

I think it's helpful to ask yourself: How bad would your life have to be for you to abandon everything you own, take what you could carry, then walk to the Canadian border and beg for asylum?

And yes, the countries that allow the conditions that precipitate these migrations have a lion's share of the responsibility. But the problem needs to be solved with security at the border, along with compassion for those who make the journey. It's like drug abuse: you can look at it as a legal problem or a human problem, but it is both.

Trump cutting off foreign aid is like saying the beatings will continue until morale improves.

As far as the treatment of children, what we need is a special report from one of the networks. Make it a problem where people cannot avoid the images. I don't know what Congressional hearings could accomplish, but again, having the images and the facts laid out makes it incredibly difficult for anyone with a heart to ignore it.
"The great problem of any civilization is how to rejuvenate itself without rebarbarization."
- Will Durant
"We've kept more promises than we've even made"
- Donald Trump
"Of what meaning is the world without mind? The question cannot exist."
- Edwin Land
_Gunnar
_Emeritus

Post by _Gunnar »

Great comments, MeDotOrg. Some of these refugees have stated that the conditions and dangers they faced if they stayed at home are more life threatening than anything they expect to face as refugees, whether illegal or not. As I pointed out upthread, the conditions in their home countries are largely a result of misguided and/or mercenary policies of American politicians and their wealthy corporate donors. Cutting off humanitarian and other kinds of assistance to those countries that could help them get on a sounder economic footing, can only further exacerbate the refugee and immigrant problems. Restoring such aid is not only a good idea, we actually owe these people for what our government and selfish, American corporate interests have done to them in past years.

I especially agree with your comment:
Trump cutting off foreign aid is like saying the beatings will continue until morale improves.

Unfortunately, it is highly unlikely that Trump is capable of understanding or caring about that.
No precept or claim is more likely to be false than one that can only be supported by invoking the claim of Divine authority for it--no matter who or what claims such authority.

“If you make people think they're thinking, they'll love you; but if you really make them think, they'll hate you.”
― Harlan Ellison
_Gunnar
_Emeritus

Post by _Gunnar »

Mike Pence: 'Of course' migrant children should have toothbrushes, blankets, medicine
At least Mike Pence agrees that the migrant children should be treated much better. Let's hope he can convince Trump of that. I know, of course, that Trump is going to claim that it was all the Democrats' fault.
No precept or claim is more likely to be false than one that can only be supported by invoking the claim of Divine authority for it--no matter who or what claims such authority.

“If you make people think they're thinking, they'll love you; but if you really make them think, they'll hate you.”
― Harlan Ellison
_Chap
_Emeritus

Post by _Chap »

Jersey Girl wrote:
Chap wrote:I am almost (only almost) sorry for that young woman trying to argue the case that the 'safe and sanitary' condition for detention might be fulfilled when (for instance) the person detained is effectively deprived of sleep (bare concrete floor, lights on all night, only an aluminium blanket provided, low temperatures), and has no soap to wash with. It is her duty as a lawyer to present her client's case in the best possible light, whatever she personally thinks of its merits, so that's what she tries to do under the puzzled gaze of the three judges. It must have been a shaming experience for her.

Of course she could have refused to present the case, in which case she would probably have been fired by the DOJ. Well, maybe that's what she should have done, really ...

She gets zero sympathy from me. So far as I am concerned she sold her soul right there.

Oh I agree. But I said it in Bringlish, while you of course are a native speaker of New Jersey.
Zadok:
I did not have a faith crisis. I discovered that the Church was having a truth crisis.
Maksutov:
That's the problem with this supernatural stuff, it doesn't really solve anything. It's a placeholder for ignorance.
_moksha
_Emeritus

Post by _moksha »

Kevin Graham wrote:THIS
THIS
THIS
THIS is what needs to be focused on to get rid of Trump.

Not sure I feel comfortable putting all my Trumps in one basket. Much better to add THIS along with the other high crimes and misdemeanors.

I suspect Republican-Americans love being constantly deceived by Trump. Consider it a codependent case of national SadoDeceptionism, which is mutually satisfying. Spraying ammonia directly on the cheeseburger stains will help to remove them.

As for the immigrant children, do we know if the International Court of Justice in The Hague is still in business?
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
_ajax18
_Emeritus

Post by _ajax18 »

Restoring such aid is not only a good idea, we actually owe these people for what our government and selfish, American corporate interests have done to them in past years.

Then cut them a check for your savings and reenter the workforce if you need money to live on. Locks on your doors are immoral.
And when the confederates saw Jackson standing fearless as a stone wall the army of Northern Virginia took courage and drove the federal army off their land.
_moksha
_Emeritus

Post by _moksha »

ajax18 wrote:Locks on your doors are immoral.

I hear you. High razorwire fences make good neighbors until the neighbors steal your razorwire and use it on their own Tiajuana homes. "Hey Vato, those Norte Hombres are just piling this stuff up at the border. They are so wasteful".
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
_Bach
_Emeritus

Post by _Bach »

Cry me a f_____n river here! I love how liberals love to anoint themselves the “barometers of social justice” as they sit on their moral computer screens, far removed from the crisis or any willingness to put any commitments to where their keyboard strikes run amok!!!

Anyone here willing to volunteer taking any of these children into their homes until court hearings for such have been completed? NOT A CHANCE I SUSPECT! NIMBY as usual. How about taking in the homeless in your own cities? Why not? Does the fact that they are already U.S. citizens bother you. PLEASE!!!

[have no expectation of this response ever being posted, or released without a 24 hr delay given the bias against me and my reason]
_Xenophon
_Emeritus

Post by _Xenophon »

"If you consider what are called the virtues in mankind, you will find their growth is assisted by education and cultivation." -Xenophon of Athens
_SteelHead
_Emeritus

Post by _SteelHead »

It takes a while to understand, but as one grows they come to realize all of the monsters from our tales are humans who have lost their humanity.
It is better to be a warrior in a garden, than a gardener at war.

Some of us, on the other hand, actually prefer a religion that includes some type of correlation with reality.
~Bill Hamblin