Gerrymandering in US States

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
_Gunnar
_Emeritus

Re: Gerrymandering in US States

Post by _Gunnar »

moksha wrote:
Gunnar wrote:And yet, Salt Lake City's apparently very popular Mayor, Jackie Biskupski, Is not only a non-Mormon and a liberal Democrat, but is also openly gay! She was also reelected 6 times to the Utah State Legislature before retiring from that to run for Mayor.

Not all state districts can be gerrymandered successfully. However, they have contained non-Mormons/Democrats to as few legislative seats as possible. On the congressional level, Salt Lake County has been divided into three separate districts.

Oh, I agree that the gerrymandering is all messed up and inherently unfair and that serious reform is necessary, but I still found it remarkable and cheering that Jackie Biskupsi managed to win despite all attempts to rig the system against her. I was not trying to minimize the inherent injustice and unfairness of the gerrymandering.
No precept or claim is more likely to be false than one that can only be supported by invoking the claim of Divine authority for it--no matter who or what claims such authority.

“If you make people think they're thinking, they'll love you; but if you really make them think, they'll hate you.”
― Harlan Ellison
_EAllusion
_Emeritus

Post by _EAllusion »

subgenius wrote:1. Democracy = the majority may impose its will on the minority.
2. Republic = the majority is unable to take away inalienable rights.
3. Democracy = ruled by the majority and contains no protection for the minority against the power of the majority.
4. Republic = ruled by majority/minority but contains protection for the minorty against the power of the majority.
5. Democracy = equal participation with the interest of the majority is the most important.
6. Republic = representative particpation with simultaneous protection of minorty / control of majority.
7. Democracy is unable to prevent or protect the minority from being entirely overruled or unrepresented.
8. Republic is able to prevent or protect the minority from being entirely overruled or unrepresented.

The notion that democracy means specifically direct democracy with pure majoritarianism exists primarily in your freeper-addled brain. I have a hard time imagining that you don't realize that representative democracies are, in fact, democracies, but here we are. The US is a Democratic Republic. For now, anyway. Even the exact dictionary you insist proves your point of view contains a more correct definition:

a government in which the supreme power is vested in the people and exercised by them directly or indirectly through a system of representation usually involving periodically held free elections

Dictionaries aren't a great way to find the meaning of scientific jargon since they capture common parlance, but that's fine as far as it goes. I don't need you to lecture me as I've actually passed political science. If you ever find yourself in a position to actually need to know what you are talking about, you can refresh yourself on this subject that you should've learned by late middle school:

https://www.khanacademy.org/humanities/ ... variations
_Kevin Graham
_Emeritus

Post by _Kevin Graham »

So not only does subs have a laughable understanding of math, he's also less educated than most teens in general. Tells you what schooling in Tennessee will get you.
_moksha
_Emeritus

Post by _moksha »

Kevin Graham wrote:So not only does subs have a laughable understanding of math, he's also less educated than most teens in general. Tells you what schooling in Tennessee will get you.

At least he understands that Sen. Mitch McConnell is descended from a turtle rather than those damn apes.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
_subgenius
_Emeritus

Post by _subgenius »

Kevin Graham wrote:So not only does subs have a laughable understanding of math, he's also less educated than most teens in general. Tells you what schooling in Tennessee will get you.

says the doxxer from rural Georgia.
Seek freedom and become captive of your desires...seek discipline and find your liberty
I can tell if a person is judgmental just by looking at them
what is chaos to the fly is normal to the spider - morticia addams
If you're not upsetting idiots, you might be an idiot. - Ted Nugent
_canpakes
_Emeritus

Post by _canpakes »

subgenius wrote:

Is the doxxer correct?
_aussieguy55
_Emeritus

Post by _aussieguy55 »

Hilary Clinton " I won the places that represent two-thirds of America's GDP.I won in places are optimistic diverse, dynamic, moving forward"
_Kevin Graham
_Emeritus

Post by _Kevin Graham »

subgenius wrote:

Woodstock is rural Georgia? :lol:

Gawd u toopid.
_Kevin Graham
_Emeritus

Post by _Kevin Graham »

Supreme Court just ruled in favor of the Republican attack on our democracy. States can gerrymander as much as they want.
_subgenius
_Emeritus

Post by _subgenius »

Kevin Graham wrote:Supreme Court just ruled in favor of the Republican attack on our democracy. States can gerrymander as much as they want.

like they have been doing since 1776...its quite literally one of the best ways to provide a fair election....is the basic science confusing you? or does it simply undermine the racism that sustains your political viewpoint ?
Seek freedom and become captive of your desires...seek discipline and find your liberty
I can tell if a person is judgmental just by looking at them
what is chaos to the fly is normal to the spider - morticia addams
If you're not upsetting idiots, you might be an idiot. - Ted Nugent