What's so great about cruises?

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
_ajax18
_Emeritus

Re: What's so great about cruises?

Post by _ajax18 »

I guess I just like getting some place, getting on the ground and go walking and exploring wherever I'm at.

But it is exploration. Say you take a cruise from Valpariso Chile around Cape Horn to Buenos Aires. You'd never see the land and ocean much from a plane. But on a cruise you'd stop in places and do excursions. The ships are so huge you don't really feel cramped. At my body size and my leg surgeries I've had being on a plane is what cramped is for me. The cruise ship is huge. It felt like being in a city more than being on a boat.
And when the confederates saw Jackson standing fearless as a stone wall the army of Northern Virginia took courage and drove the federal army off their land.
_Kevin Graham
_Emeritus

Post by _Kevin Graham »

Jersey Girl wrote:Yet another Facebook friend is going on yet another cruise. Why? I've been invited to go many times and I just don't understand what the draw is.

I'm not afraid to sail, I grew up on boats down the Shore. What the heck is so inviting about being trapped on a ship with, I dunno, a thousand other people that you can't get away from unless you lock yourself inside your state room that is the size of a closet? Or you could get some horrible communicable illness and be trapped with vomiting en masse?

Why does anyone want to do that? They have shows, I guess shopping, meals/buffet, maybe gambling?

Sheesh. Just put me on a plane, let me land on a beach or nearby, and leave me alone already! It sounds like an Introvert's nightmare!

Well, my family loves it because the food is free. Older folks with few possessions tend to prefer living on a cruise ship instead of assisted living facilities. You can get cruises pretty cheap if you buy in advance. $199 for a 7 day cruise is a deal considering free food, no paying rent, taxes, buying groceries, utilities, and from what I understand the basic health care is included.
_Quasimodo
_Emeritus

Post by _Quasimodo »

Jersey Girl wrote:
Quasimodo wrote:
I once covered as a photographer for a friend who needed a break from his cruise photography business. It was a week long cruise down the coast of Mexico. The longest week of my life.

After a couple of hours on the ship I think I had seen every inch of it. When the ship stopped at ports, I used that time to process film and prints and I never really ever got off the boat. I lost any desire to ever go on a cruise again.

The food was good though. :lol:

I bet it wasn't good fish n' chips and mushy peas like at Sherlock Holmes in London!

:lol: I would have much rather spent the week in London!

Good fish and chips are very hard to find in this hemisphere. If I want mushy peas (and I always do), I have to make my own.

I stopped at a new chippy near me and asked the manager why they didn't serve mushy peas. He didn't know what I was talking about.
This, or any other post that I have made or will make in the future, is strictly my own opinion and consequently of little or no value.

"Faith is believing something you know ain't true" Twain.
_RockSlider
_Emeritus

Post by _RockSlider »

I'm not a people/social animal and avoid even camping in campgrounds. My wife talked me into taking her on a 7 day Caribbean cruise years back, and I loved it. We later went again and took the kids. Later still we did a 14 day New Zealand cruise, fantastic.

We have considered going to Hawaii and last time I looked it was cheaper to get a nice room and good food on the boat, hitting multiple islands, having day trips to do what you please, all cheaper than a room on a given island.
_ajax18
_Emeritus

Post by _ajax18 »

I wonder what they pay the workers on cruise ships. Maybe the reason cruises are so affordable is that they're not bound by US taxes and mininum wage laws. It really is less expensive than a hotel and restaurant.
And when the confederates saw Jackson standing fearless as a stone wall the army of Northern Virginia took courage and drove the federal army off their land.
_Markk
_Emeritus

Post by _Markk »

There is a YouTube video floating around, where a British Reporter goes undercover to work on a cruise ship, and in a few months he made less than half of the UK minimum wage.

A US owned ship, can fly the flag of a foreign country, say Malta, and they are then void of US wage laws, and can pay almost nothing to these folks, based on the laws of the flag they fly.

However, those that do work on the cruise lines, are from poor countries and what they make can support their families. It is a catch 22. $600.00 dollars a month is huge money for some countries.

I’ll look for the video.
Don't take life so seriously in that " sooner or later we are just old men in funny clothes" "Tom 'T-Bone' Wolk"