A Living Wage, Please!

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
_canpakes
_Emeritus

Re: A Living Wage, Please!

Post by _canpakes »

honorentheos wrote:So subbie, do you then disagree with Jason Chaffetz who, last year said,

“I really do believe Congress would be much better served if there was a housing allowance for members of Congress,” Chaffetz told The Hill in an interview in his Capitol office, where he sleeps whenever he’s in Washington. “In today’s climate, nobody’s going to suggest or vote for a pay raise. But you shouldn’t have to be among the wealthiest of Americans to serve properly in Congress...Washington, D.C., is one of the most expensive places in the world, and I flat-out cannot afford a mortgage in Utah, kids in college and a second place here in Washington, D.C.,” Chaffetz said. “I think a $2,500 housing allowance would be appropriate and a real help to have at least a decent quality of life in Washington if you’re going to expect people to spend hundreds of nights a year here...it would allow the non-millionaires to participate and you would be able to have your spouse join you here."

Other questions for the subster:

~ What salary should Congresscritters make, since you seem to want to have an opinion on this?
~ Should Congresscritters ever receive a Cost of Living wage increase?
~ Does ‘dark money’ influence exist within the world of Congresscritters?
~ Do ‘dark money’ benefits carry some implication of a particular agenda attached to receiving it?
~ Can there be a conflict of interests between suppliers of dark money benefits and the general needs of any particular Congresscritter’s larger constituency?

C’mon, subs. Take a stand. Don’t be that guy who whines in meetings about everyone else while lacking the spine to publicly commit himself to any option or position otherwise. Nobody likes or respects that guy. ”Be best”, instead.
_subgenius
_Emeritus

Post by _subgenius »

canpakes wrote:Can you tell me where, in Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez’s post, she mentions a living wage, or that her own salary is “not sufficient for living”?

Since the OP posts only a grpahic, go there and read the sentences right after she writes "Yep.".

If her salary was sufficient for living, then how could a cost of living be proposed?...but more importantly if it were sufficient for living then how can she be financially succeptible to DMLs ?

(ya got any more popcorn in that kitchen?)
Seek freedom and become captive of your desires...seek discipline and find your liberty
I can tell if a person is judgmental just by looking at them
what is chaos to the fly is normal to the spider - morticia addams
If you're not upsetting idiots, you might be an idiot. - Ted Nugent
_canpakes
_Emeritus

Post by _canpakes »

subgenius wrote:
canpakes wrote:Can you tell me where, in Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez’s post, she mentions a living wage, or that her own salary is “not sufficient for living”?

Since the OP posts only a grpahic, go there and read the sentences right after she writes "Yep.".

If her salary was sufficient for living, then how could a cost of living be proposed?...but more importantly if it were sufficient for living then how can she be financially succeptible to DMLs ?

OK. I’ve read the ‘grpahic’, and nowhere in that ‘grpahic’ does she state that her own salary is “not sufficient for living”. I take it you agree with me, given your inability to show otherwise.

Now, with that settled, on to the rest of your babble:

“If her salary was sufficient for living, then how could a cost of living be proposed?”

That’s a nonsensical statement. A wage adjustment can be proposed regardless of conditions, and a wage adjustment does not attempt to assert that a particular wage is not “sufficient for living”. You do know why Cost of Living adjustments exist and what they’re compensating for, correct? It doesn’t look like you do, based on that mess of a statement from you.

Next:

“...but more importantly if it were sufficient for living then how can she be financially succeptible to DMLs ?”

Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez hasn’t stated that she is financially susceptible to DMLs, nor that her wage is not “sufficient for living”. Do you want to rephrase your question to reflect whatever the ‘grpahic’ shows?

Tell you what. I’ll go get the popcorn. You’ll go get your eyes checked. That seems like a smarter strategy.