Suicide Rates Are Rising

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
_Xenophon
_Emeritus

Re: Suicide Rates Are Rising

Post by _Xenophon »

Perfume on my Mind wrote:
Res Ipsa wrote:How, exactly, do you expect the government to cure loneliness? Procure you a girlfriend?

Legalize prostitution.

It's not a cure, but it's something.
Given his posting history here I think RI was closer with the first comment. :eek:
"If you consider what are called the virtues in mankind, you will find their growth is assisted by education and cultivation." -Xenophon of Athens
_Some Schmo
_Emeritus

Post by _Some Schmo »

Xenophon wrote:Given his posting history here I think RI was closer with the first comment. :eek:

Yeah, probably.

I do think prostitution should be legal though, for more reasons than this.
God belief is for people who don't want to live life on the universe's terms.
_Xenophon
_Emeritus

Post by _Xenophon »

Perfume on my Mind wrote:Yeah, probably.

No disagreement here, more than enough evidence to suggest it is better to bring those kinds of things into the light.
"If you consider what are called the virtues in mankind, you will find their growth is assisted by education and cultivation." -Xenophon of Athens
_DoubtingThomas
_Emeritus

Post by _DoubtingThomas »

Res Ipsa wrote:How, exactly, do you expect the government to cure loneliness? Procure you a girlfriend?

I can think of some solutions, but the government and the media almost never talk about that problem. The media cares more about Russia and some other things.
_Dr. Shades
_Emeritus

Post by _Dr. Shades »

DoubtingThomas wrote:And it is sad that politicians don't really care. . . The politicians are always offering suggestions.

If the politicians "don't really care," then why are they "always offering suggestions?"

DoubtingThomas wrote:I can think of some solutions, but the government and the media almost never talk about that problem.

How can the government "almost never talk about the problem" and be "always offering suggestions" at the same time?

Help me out here.
"Finally, for your rather strange idea that miracles are somehow linked to the amount of gay sexual gratification that is taking place would require that primitive Christianity was launched by gay sex, would it not?"

--Louis Midgley
_subgenius
_Emeritus

Post by _subgenius »

Perfume on my Mind wrote:
Xenophon wrote:Given his posting history here I think RI was closer with the first comment. :eek:

Yeah, probably.

why? prostitution is more viable in the black market than as a government regulated commodity. The better argument is that sex should not be commodified because like water, it deserves to be free for anyone who is thirsty.
:biggrin:
Seek freedom and become captive of your desires...seek discipline and find your liberty
I can tell if a person is judgmental just by looking at them
what is chaos to the fly is normal to the spider - morticia addams
If you're not upsetting idiots, you might be an idiot. - Ted Nugent
_Res Ipsa
_Emeritus

Post by _Res Ipsa »

DoubtingThomas wrote:

I can think of some solutions, but the government and the media almost never talk about that problem. The media cares more about Russia and some other things.

You quoted media articles on this subject in this very thread. There have been lots of media articles on this subject.

Look, I get it. You’re lonely, anxious, and unhappy. The media isn’t going to make that better. The government isn’t going to make that better. The folks on this board aren’t going to make that better, although they have given you tons of good advice.

Only you can make it better. Get started. Call a therapist. Today. No excuses. Do it.
​“The ideal subject of totalitarian rule is not the convinced Nazi or the dedicated communist, but people for whom the distinction between fact and fiction, true and false, no longer exists.”

― Hannah Arendt, The Origins of Totalitarianism, 1951
_Themis
_Emeritus

Post by _Themis »

DoubtingThomas wrote:the government needs to do something now and look at the probable causes. Loneliness is probably one of them.

The government already does some things that provide social opportunities for people, as well as private organizations. Maybe they could do more.

I agree with others you would do well seeing a therapist, but also look for interesting hobbies/activities and seek out groups that probably exist in your area where you can socialize with others. Good place to work on social skills.
_DoubtingThomas
_Emeritus

Res Ipsa wrote:You quoted media articles on this subject in this very thread. There have been lots of media articles on this subject.

Yes, but not so many articles on male suicide rates.
_DoubtingThomas
_Emeritus

Perfume on my Mind wrote:Legalize prostitution.

It's not a cure, but it's something.

Most prostitutes are not attractive. Young women are now making more money than young men, so young beautiful women do not need sex work. The legalization of prostitution wouldn't do much for me.