REAL ID

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
_subgenius
_Emeritus

REAL ID

Post by _subgenius »

REAL ID Act will go into effect on Oct. 1, 2020.

It’s a little-known fact that, at the moment, passengers who show up without an ID may still be able to pass through security. It’s a more time-consuming process, but a TSA agent may be able to confirm your identity by collecting information. Come October 2020, this will no longer be an option. Everybody will have to have an ID on hand.
However, there are a few states whose residents should keep an eye out. The only state currently under TSA review is California. At the moment, a driver’s license will work as identification through May 24, 2019. After that point, it may be necessary to bring a federal ID to the airport.

Several states have been issued an extension. The first deadline is Rhode Island with REAL ID laws going into effect on May 1, 2019. Residents of Alaska and Montana have until June 1, 2019. Those in Kentucky, Missouri and Pennsylvania have been granted an extension until Aug. 1, 2019. And Maine, New Jersey, Oklahoma and Oregon have until Oct. 10, 2019. If state IDs do not become compliant by their extensions, residents will need to bring something like a passport to the airport.

Many of you know that I love a good conspiracy, but only the more subtle ones. Is this TSA "end around" on IDs the top of a slippery slope?
Seek freedom and become captive of your desires...seek discipline and find your liberty
I can tell if a person is judgmental just by looking at them
what is chaos to the fly is normal to the spider - morticia addams
If you're not upsetting idiots, you might be an idiot. - Ted Nugent
_Analytics
_Emeritus

Re: REAL ID

Post by _Analytics »

subgenius wrote:[i]
REAL ID Act will go into effect on Oct. 1, 2020.

It’s a little-known fact that, at the moment, passengers who show up without an ID may still be able to pass through security. It’s a more time-consuming process, but a TSA agent may be able to confirm your identity by collecting information. Come October 2020, this will no longer be an option. Everybody will have to have an ID on hand.
However, there are a few states whose residents should keep an eye out. The only state currently under TSA review is California. At the moment, a driver’s license will work as identification through May 24, 2019. After that point, it may be necessary to bring a federal ID to the airport....

Many of you know that I love a good conspiracy, but only the more subtle ones. Is this TSA "end around" on IDs the top of a slippery slope?

Whatever it is you are quoting sounds quaint. There is a program called "CLEAR" popping up at major airports that lets its members (who pay $100 a year for the privilege) cut to the front of TSA lines--including ahead of people in the "Sky Priority" (or non-Delta equivalent) line <I>and</I> ahead of people in the TSA Pre-check line. <I>And</I> if you have CLEAR, you don't need to show ID--they let you through security based on biometrics.

Maybe this requirement of needing an ID is a conspiracy by the manufacturers of driver licenses to put CLEAR out of business?
It’s relatively easy to agree that only Homo sapiens can speak about things that don’t really exist, and believe six impossible things before breakfast. You could never convince a monkey to give you a banana by promising him limitless bananas after death in monkey heaven.

-Yuval Noah Harari