Augusta Magestry: Report

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
_Bach
_Emeritus

Augusta Magestry: Report

Post by _Bach »

Have no idea who loves golf here but - after spending the past weekend in Augusta it was fitting of a post. AND NOT BECAUSE TIGER WON.

I’ve been going to August for almost 30 years. Several times to play but too many times to watch. This was a fantastic weekend to go for too many reasons. Weather was great, and the fears of Sunday storms never really materialized. They’ve done so much with the course over the years to make it competitive even for this generation of athletes. And it truly is like a walk though a State Park. Most people have no idea how hilly and ondulating the course really is, not to mention the greens. But such a beautiful and storied place. My personal on sight highlights: Nicklaus’s at 46, the Hoch Choke, and Tigers’ first in 97. Have to admit I’m a huge Mickelson fan after Jack and Freddy. And food is still so cheap on course there - a trademark of the MOM.

This year:

I’m not a big fan of Tiger. But he brought the game to a level that no other golfer in its history has ever done. And the media we’ve lived through no doubt helped him immensely. And he screwed up big time, became way too cocky and that’s what turned me off about him. Still.

We put our chairs down at 18 on Sunday around 7:45. For those here who’ve never been to Augusta, no one will sit in a chair placed at the 18th if it ain’t theirs. Decades old tradition. Followed Phil till 10 (where he died all weekend) and then Tiger at the turn. Even made the highlight on TV standing 40 feet away on his 2nd shot to 11 off the hard pan in the “gully”. Not really obstructed but what a touch from that lie for control. Became a huge fan of Francesco and Tony as well. Next hole - Tiger won the tournament. Tough seeing the looks on their faces. Even w 13 and 15 ahead, you could see it in their eyes. Mark my words though, this Tony Finau is the real deal: length and touch. Made some incredible shots under pressure. He’s a coming!

Watched the last four groups from 18. Still had a little suspense at that time.

But the best part of the weekend may have been the chef from New Orleans our buddy brought with to cook for us all weekend. Only went out one night!

As I’ve said, not a fan of Tiger. But he competed against many w far superior golf skills this weekend and won. Love to diss him for many things, but not this win.
_Bach
_Emeritus

Re: Augusta Magestry: Report

Post by _Bach »

Oops, look like there was already an anger thread on tigers win. Sad thread!
_Markk
_Emeritus

Post by _Markk »

Always wanted to go to Augusta, maybe some day.

I've seen Tiger at Torrey Pines in his prime and there are PGA pros, and then there is Tiger.

While I think Dustin Johnson is the best golfer in the world, I am impressed with Ricky Fowler...he seems to be on the verge of taking the next step up. But, he needs to learn how to wear a hat. Real men don't let it sit over their ears. There are so many good young golfers now, it is really fun to watch.

The South Koreans are getting really good...along with that kid from Japan.

Freddy is the "coolest" golfer ever...he seems like the kind of guy everyone would want to change places with. I actually saw him at a small deli in Newport beach three weeks ago, I wanted to say something to him but choked. But I did almost spill my tray on his wife (girl friend?).
Don't take life so seriously in that " sooner or later we are just old men in funny clothes" "Tom 'T-Bone' Wolk"
_Bach
_Emeritus

Post by _Bach »

I agree about Freddy! Played w him twice at LA CC. Don’t think I was within 80 yards of his tee shot ever. But so patient and nice when we played and taught me so much about my bad back and golf!
_Doctor CamNC4Me
_Emeritus

Post by _Doctor CamNC4Me »

When I was assigned to USASOC 13 badges were made available to us to attend. And to top it off it was considered a temporary duty so lodging and per diem was made available. I passed up the chance to go; I literally was offered one of the badges, and I didn't go. That's one of my biggest regrets I have, since the Masters is the only tourney I watch consistently, and Augusta is essentially hallowed ground for the sport. I was also assigned to Fort Gordon, GA for a bit, and later was always going there for this and that, but never toured the course even though I was fascinated with it. What a waste. :/

- Doc
In the face of madness, rationality has no power - Xiao Wang, US historiographer, 2287 AD.

Every record...falsified, every book rewritten...every statue...has been renamed or torn down, every date...altered...the process is continuing...minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Ideology is always right.
_Markk
_Emeritus

Post by _Markk »

I had a chance to see Elvis, but didn't go because I had a baseball game.
Don't take life so seriously in that " sooner or later we are just old men in funny clothes" "Tom 'T-Bone' Wolk"