Bill Weld is in

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
_Res Ipsa
_Emeritus

Bill Weld is in

Post by _Res Ipsa »

Trump’s first Republican challenger.
​“The ideal subject of totalitarian rule is not the convinced Nazi or the dedicated communist, but people for whom the distinction between fact and fiction, true and false, no longer exists.”

― Hannah Arendt, The Origins of Totalitarianism, 1951
_Kevin Graham
_Emeritus

Re: Bill Weld is in

Post by _Kevin Graham »

He has my vote.

Wonder how many millions of people will be registering Republican now in states that don't have open primaries.
_Chap
_Emeritus

Post by _Chap »

Bill Weld officially announces he is challenging Trump for GOP nomination in 2020

(CNN)Former Massachusetts Gov. Bill Weld announced Monday he is officially entering the race for president, becoming the first Republican to challenge President Donald Trump in the 2020 race.

"Ours is a nation built on courage, resilience, and independence. In these times of great political strife, when both major parties are entrenched in their 'win at all cost' battles, the voices of the American people are being ignored and our nation is suffering," Weld, who had previously formed an exploratory committee, said in a statement.
"It is time for patriotic men and women across our great nation to stand and plant a flag. It is time to return to the principles of Lincoln -- equality, dignity, and opportunity for all. There is no greater cause on earth than to preserve what truly makes America great. I am ready to lead that fight."
Zadok:
I did not have a faith crisis. I discovered that the Church was having a truth crisis.
Maksutov:
That's the problem with this supernatural stuff, it doesn't really solve anything. It's a placeholder for ignorance.
_Black Moclips
_Emeritus

Post by _Black Moclips »

He is off to a bad start if he thinks Trump's next term will last for six years:

Weld told CNN's Jake Tapper on "The Lead" that it would be a "political tragedy" and he would "fear for the Republic" if the country had six more years of Trump as President.

"I really think if we have six more years of the same stuff we've had out of the White House the last two years that would be a political tragedy, and I would fear for the Republic," he said.
“A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government big enough to take away everything that you have.”
_Gunnar
_Emeritus

Post by _Gunnar »

I find it hard to imagine that he could be worse, or even as bad, as Donald J. Trump. I'm sure will not remain the only Republican to challenge Trump.
No precept or claim is more likely to be false than one that can only be supported by invoking the claim of Divine authority for it--no matter who or what claims such authority.

“If you make people think they're thinking, they'll love you; but if you really make them think, they'll hate you.”
― Harlan Ellison
_Gunnar
_Emeritus

Post by _Gunnar »

Black Moclips wrote:He is off to a bad start if he thinks Trump's next term will last for six years:

Weld told CNN's Jake Tapper on "The Lead" that it would be a "political tragedy" and he would "fear for the Republic" if the country had six more years of Trump as President.

"I really think if we have six more years of the same stuff we've had out of the White House the last two years that would be a political tragedy, and I would fear for the Republic," he said.

I'm sure he was including 2019 and 2020 in those "six more years."
No precept or claim is more likely to be false than one that can only be supported by invoking the claim of Divine authority for it--no matter who or what claims such authority.

“If you make people think they're thinking, they'll love you; but if you really make them think, they'll hate you.”
― Harlan Ellison
_Gunnar
_Emeritus

Post by _Gunnar »

One thing we can be pretty sure about is that merely the fact that Trump will have a challenger from his own party in the primaries will greatly diminish the chances of a Republican win in 2020, no matter whether Trump or his Republican challenger winds up being the eventual Republican nominee. See this analysis: I have no doubt that if Democrats actually win the presidency next year, Bill Weld (and/or any other Republicans challenging Trump) will be blamed and viciously excoriated by fellow Republicans for having challenged Trump, whether or not Trump ends up being the Republican nominee.

― Harlan Ellison