Candace Owens Congressional Testimony (New PragerU video)

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
_honorentheos
_Emeritus

Re: Candace Owens Congressional Testimony (New PragerU video

Post by _honorentheos »

SPG wrote:Just lost me. Democracy, (big D) shouldn't be confused with a political party.

EAllusion wrote:It's just how our language is conventionally used. The capital letter refers to a specific political party. It's a proper noun. The lower case letter refers to the ideological concept. This holds true for other political parties as well.

For SPG's benefit, it's why people tend to point out they are referring to small "d" democratic ideas or democrats. Otherwise, most people assume a reference to democrats or democratic political ideals are referring to the Democratic Party or the political platform of said Democratic Party. Small "r", is used to differentiate when one is speaking of the republican form of government in general rather than the GOP, etc.

But rather than just take EA's word or mine for it, here's the first hit off of Google for you, SPG: https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/small-d_democrat
The world is always full of the sound of waves..but who knows the heart of the sea, a hundred feet down? Who knows it's depth?
~ Eiji Yoshikawa
_SPG
_Emeritus

Post by _SPG »

EAllusion wrote:
SPG wrote:Just lost me. Democracy, (big D) shouldn't be confused with a political party.

It's just how our language is conventionally used. The capital letter refers to a specific political party. It's a proper noun. The lower case letter refers to the ideological concept. This holds true for other political parties as well.

I'm actually registered as Independent, so I'm really unfamiliar with this idea that Democrats get the big D. Sorry to be so frustration on this, just sits with me wrong.
_honorentheos
_Emeritus

Post by _honorentheos »

It's occurred to me more than once in this thread that your view is largely partisan, SPG. Meaning, much of what you say is best understood if one assumes you view the primary conflict in society is between Democrats/Republicans. Or perhaps Liberals/Conservatives which would be more in line with being a registered independent.

Your taking issue with the standard capitalization of proper nouns resulting in the Democratic Party getting a big "D" seems to fall in line with this view. Otherwise, it should just be a matter of proper grammar with no bearing on the significance of the capitalization of the letter "D".

If this is accurate, I'm hoping you can help me understand how you came to this view? Can you pinpoint when it occurred to you that this divide was both real, and that it was of major significance?
The world is always full of the sound of waves..but who knows the heart of the sea, a hundred feet down? Who knows it's depth?
~ Eiji Yoshikawa
_Kevin Graham
_Emeritus

Post by _Kevin Graham »

SPG wrote:I'm actually registered as Independent, so I'm really unfamiliar with this idea that Democrats get the big D. Sorry to be so frustration on this, just sits with me wrong.

You mean you're a registered "independent"?

How many Independent politicians have (i) instead of (I) after their name?

Or does your Right Wing "perspective" cause you to see only a little "d" for Democrat?
_moksha
_Emeritus

Post by _moksha »

Of course, Candace Owens likes the Republicans. A vast majority of white Southerners embrace the Republican party as do white nationalists. So what's not to love from her perspective? She doesn't need to look to the past when she can experience the here and now.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
_SPG
_Emeritus

Post by _SPG »

honorentheos wrote:It's occurred to me more than once in this thread that your view is largely partisan, SPG. Meaning, much of what you say is best understood if one assumes you view the primary conflict in society is between Democrats/Republicans. Or perhaps Liberals/Conservatives which would be more in line with being a registered independent.

Your taking issue with the standard capitalization of proper nouns resulting in the Democratic Party getting a big "D" seems to fall in line with this view. Otherwise, it should just be a matter of proper grammar with no bearing on the significance of the capitalization of the letter "D".

If this is accurate, I'm hoping you can help me understand how you came to this view? Can you pinpoint when it occurred to you that this divide was both real, and that it was of major significance?

I admit, sometimes, I'm asshole. I see so many conflict, on so many levels, it really hard to say "primary conflict."

I grant you, I'm not sure what this fight is about nor why is so such blindness on both sides of this. Since I registered to vote many years ago, I've been Independent. I could see that good nature of many of the Democrat I met, and I could see their points. My heart has been more Republican, they are, for the most part, the people I really like to hang out with. I really didn't like Obama, so I voted for McCain and Romney, while voting Democrat on the other race. And this last time, I didn't like Hillary, but I was going to give her a fair shake. I could sort of see what she was saying, but hey, 33,000 emails is 33,000 emails.

So I researched, and damn, what I found really concerned me. What Candace is talking about is real thing. Not just because she is saying it, but because thousands of researchers support her. This is a political matter. To me, that means that some people are dedicated to discrediting her, while others dedicated to protecting her. In such cases, impossible to have all the facts, or truth, or whatever you base your reality on. For me, I like her message. When I watch her lectures and I watch young people stand up and they want to be free of all their hate and blame, I get excited. It seems right to me.

On the other hands, when I want a BLM rally, where they are blaming everyone for their problems, it seems wrong to me. I mean, wouldn't it be great to be able to march and blame people for my problems?

Anyway, I don't really care about the capitalization of Democrats, but I don't agree with it, in terms that "democracy" is little (d)ed because of it.

I actually LIKE Candace and her message. I would refer to her as "My Girl" but some people might take offense to that. But of any public personality in the world, she is my favorite. Do I expect her to be perfect? Not really, but for effort people have put into trying to discredit her, she must be a reincarnated saint.

moksha wrote:Of course, Candace Owens likes the Republicans. A vast majority of white Southerners embrace the Republican party as do white nationalists. So what's not to love from her perspective? She doesn't need to look to the past when she can experience the here and now.

And I have heard her say that she is actually a Democrat. I can understand this. The message the Democrats put forth is tempting to get behind. What Candace is saying is that the Democrats have betrayed the black people. I'm white, and I'm a nationalist. I don't accept that makes me some sort of criminal. I love our country, I want it to do well.
_Kevin Graham
_Emeritus

Post by _Kevin Graham »

SPG wrote:
I actually LIKE Candace and her message.

Bragging or apologizing?

SPG wrote:Do I expect her to be perfect? Not really,

The typical Right Wing line whenever their idol has been shown to be a despicable character. Heard a lot of this right after the Access Hollywood tape.

SPG wrote:but for effort people have put into trying to discredit her, she must be a reincarnated saint.

Doesn't take a lot of effort really. It may seem like that to self-educated idiots who cannot understand their own bias, but that's beside the point.
_Kevin Graham
_Emeritus

Post by _Kevin Graham »

I accidentally flipped to FOX and Jeannine Piro had Dennis Prager on who was saying Ruth Ginsberg prefers the Constitution of South Africa while insisting the left doesn't like the US Constitution or America. Divisive much, Ceeboo? I looked it up and that claim about Ginsberg was debunked back in 2012. The Right Wing Nuts are going overboard with deflection and whstaboutisms in light of the Mueller report travesty.