This is what happens when you speak truth to power.

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
_canpakes
_Emeritus

Re: This is what happens when you speak truth to power.

Post by _canpakes »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:What's old is new:

https://youtu.be/aFQFB5YpDZE?t=458

Here's Jon Stewart completely dismantling Tucker Carlson on CNN's Crossfire over a decade ago. This kind of demonstrates how these guys are allowed to operate with impunity while being funded by their financial benefactors.

- Doc

One of my all-time favorite clips. Thank you for posting that.
_Maksutov
_Emeritus

Post by _Maksutov »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:What's old is new:

https://youtu.be/aFQFB5YpDZE?t=458

Here's Jon Stewart completely dismantling Tucker Carlson on CNN's Crossfire over a decade ago. This kind of demonstrates how these guys are allowed to operate with impunity while being funded by their financial benefactors.

- Doc

It shows both that this nonsense predates Trump and that matters have become even worse.
"God" is the original deus ex machina. --Maksutov
_Dr Exiled
_Emeritus

Post by _Dr Exiled »

Another reason I don't trust the mainstream media.
"Religion is about providing human community in the guise of solving problems that don’t exist or failing to solve problems that do and seeking to reconcile these contradictions and conceal the failures in bogus explanations otherwise known as theology." - Kishkumen 
_Chap
_Emeritus

Post by _Chap »

Exiled wrote:Another reason I don't trust the mainstream media.

Please:

(a) You are very unwise to lump all newspapers and TV channels together in one batch. You have to evaluate them all on a case-by-case basis. Any attempt to do so will soon reveal that some (such as Fox) are much, much more biased and unreliable than others. Some can be trusted, most of the time, to give you a fair view of the facts, even if journalists also express their views on those facts.

(b) So what are your trusted sources for news more reliable than large widely available newspapers and TV channels?

It is the clear aim of people like Trump to get people to stop trusting anybody but themselves and a small group of people like Tucker Carlson who support them. It's not a good idea to go that way.
Zadok:
I did not have a faith crisis. I discovered that the Church was having a truth crisis.
Maksutov:
That's the problem with this supernatural stuff, it doesn't really solve anything. It's a placeholder for ignorance.
_Dr Exiled
_Emeritus

Post by _Dr Exiled »

Do you think there is a valid threat that Putin will turn off our power like Rachel Maddow says? That seems to be jumping the shark.

Sure, let's evaluate the media. Let's look at who funds them. Let's look at what Chomsky said in "manufacturing consent." Let's look at how the media cheers on almost every war, etc., etc.
"Religion is about providing human community in the guise of solving problems that don’t exist or failing to solve problems that do and seeking to reconcile these contradictions and conceal the failures in bogus explanations otherwise known as theology." - Kishkumen 
_Dr Exiled
_Emeritus

Post by _Dr Exiled »

I read a wide variety of internet sites from alternet, politico, the hill to zero hedge and Ron Paul. I like to see what all sides say and always have my BS meter running.
_moksha
_Emeritus

Post by _moksha »

Exiled wrote:Another reason I don't trust the mainstream media.

Some people taking this swear that it helps with arthritis.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
_Chap
_Emeritus

Post by _Chap »

Exiled wrote:I read a wide variety of internet sites from alternet, politico, the hill to zero hedge and Ron Paul. I like to see what all sides say and always have my ____ meter running.

But none of the sites like those really supply the vital ingredient of input from salaried professional journalists with time and experience. You can't usually get that for nothing.

Have you ever tried the Economist (a weekly) for instance? Have a look ... there are at least two articles of US interest right up front, and limited access is free.

https://www.economist.com
Zadok:
I did not have a faith crisis. I discovered that the Church was having a truth crisis.
Maksutov:
That's the problem with this supernatural stuff, it doesn't really solve anything. It's a placeholder for ignorance.
_Dr Exiled
_Emeritus

Post by _Dr Exiled »

Chap wrote:
Exiled wrote:I read a wide variety of internet sites from alternet, politico, the hill to zero hedge and Ron Paul. I like to see what all sides say and always have my ____ meter running.

But none of the sites like those really supply the vital ingredient of input from salaried professional journalists with time and experience. You can't usually get that for nothing.

Have you ever tried the Economist (a weekly) for instance? Have a look ... there are at least two articles of US interest right up front, and limited access is free.

https://www.economist.com

I've read the economist and I will take a look at it in a bit again. I also read the N.Y. Times and Washington Post from time to time. My point is that one has to be skeptical of everything and everyone and get as many viewpoints as possible knowing that everyone has an agenda. Tucker Carlson is on Fox because he supports its agenda. It's good he was called out. Sure, he can roam in certain areas but ultimately will adhere to his masters and that is what Mr. Bregman pointed out. Other mainstream media personalities are also bought to a certain extent by their corporate masters.
_Maksutov
_Emeritus

Post by _Maksutov »

Chris Wallace and Napolitano ask good questions on Fox.
"God" is the original deus ex machina. --Maksutov