Let?????s Clear Up Tomahawk Chop Excuse From Left!!

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
_canpakes
_Emeritus

Re: Let’s Clear Up Tomahawk Chop Excuse From Left!!

Post by _canpakes »

Hmm. Dick move.

Nicholas Sandmann, 16, a student at Covington Catholic High School in Park Hills, Ky., is seeking $250 million in damages from The Post — the same amount Amazon CEO Jeff Bezos paid for ownership of the paper in 2013, according to a copy of the suit Sandmann’s attorneys posted on their website.

Among various complaints, the suit alleges that The Post “engaged in a modern-day form of McCarthyism” to target Sandmann “because it wanted to advance its well-known and easily documented, biased agenda against” President Donald Trump.

In video accounts of the Jan. 18 encounter, a grinning Sandmann is depicted wearing a red Make America Great Again baseball cap as he stares down Nathan Phillips, an Omaha elder and Vietnam veteran who sings and beats a drum as Covington students laugh and jeer around him.

“The Post’s campaign to target Nicholas in furtherance of its political agenda,” the suit alleges, “was carried out by using its vast financial resources to enter the bully pulpit by publishing a series of false and defamatory print and online articles which effectively provided a worldwide megaphone to Phillips and other anti-Trump individuals and entities to smear a young boy who was in its view an acceptable casualty in their war against the President.”

Sandmann’s attorneys, Lin Wood and Todd McMurtry, filed the suit in U.S. District Court in Covington, and suggested in a statement that additional litigation would be forthcoming.
_canpakes
_Emeritus

Post by _canpakes »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:... using an elephant gun on a gnat.

Anyone who has ever had to deal with fungus gnats will tell you that a shotgun is clearly the better choice.
_EAllusion
_Emeritus

Post by _EAllusion »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:Do you think all teams that use NA imagery fall under your observation, or just the Redskins? For example, my high school's mascot, the Indian, specifically a particular profile design that is on the school's reader board, was design by members of the Spokane tribe. Where does racism stop and respectful homage begin for you?

- Doc
I'm not sure how you divorce Native American sports mascots from their historical context of derogatory and harmful stereotyping.

Perhaps it is helpful to go back to the blackface example. People realized that there was a problem with mistrel shows just about as soon as they came into existence. There was an entire subgenre of them that tried to soften its racist edge by shading it towards presenting as a respectful homage to black people. Minstrel performances of this sort would be billed as Ethiopian serenades and the like. Likewise, there were plenty of black performers who unironically donnned blackface and participated in the tropes of minstrel performance. When something is so ingrained in the culture, sometimes people try to negotiate with it to dull the blow or co-opt it into something positive rather than dismantle it.

From the perspective of the present, hopefully, we recognize this was inadequate. The core problem is that tropes of the performances were closely associated derogatory and harmful stereotyping. So it is with Native mascots. I don't begrudge those Native Americans who have dealt with their seeming permanence by trying to make it as respectful as possible and find some pride in it, but the practice comes from a very ugly place. And indigenous organizations tend to oppose them, which seems like a big deal when it is they who are being represented.