Anyone playing fanasy for superbowl?

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
_Markk
_Emeritus

Anyone playing fanasy for superbowl?

Post by _Markk »

I am in a few contest for the super bowl, and this is the first year I entered. What they do is divide the Super bowl players up with the Pro Bowl players to make it viable.

Has anyone played it in the past? How did you divide it up... Super Bowl vs Pro Bowl?

I am going

Goff... $32 QB

Gurley, $34 White, $22 Barkley $15...running back/Flex

Edelman, $29 Cooks, $21 Reynolds...$13 WR

Tittle $18...TE

Rams $16...defense
Don't take life so seriously in that " sooner or later we are just old men in funny clothes" "Tom 'T-Bone' Wolk"
_honorentheos
_Emeritus

Re: Anyone playing fanasy for superbowl?

Post by _honorentheos »

I've never played post-season fantasy. It's interesting that it doesn't use individual defensive players, though. I've only played in one league where we played with IDP, but that was a very different, much more involved game. It made the entire season more work than I actually enjoy when it comes to fantasy football, but I could see one game being a good place for that level of balance-seeking. But looking at your cap price for the Rams at half of Goff's value, I'm assuming the points system for defenses you're playing limits their scoring potential by quite a bit. IDP made a single good linebacker or corner about as valuable as a wide receiver.
The world is always full of the sound of waves..but who knows the heart of the sea, a hundred feet down? Who knows it's depth?
~ Eiji Yoshikawa
_Markk
_Emeritus

Post by _Markk »

honorentheos wrote:I've never played post-season fantasy. It's interesting that it doesn't use individual defensive players, though. I've only played in one league where we played with IDP, but that was a very different, much more involved game. It made the entire season more work than I actually enjoy when it comes to fantasy football, but I could see one game being a good place for that level of balance-seeking. But looking at your cap price for the Rams at half of Goff's value, I'm assuming the points system for defenses you're playing limits their scoring potential by quite a bit. IDP made a single good linebacker or corner about as valuable as a wide receiver.

During the season defenses, and kickers, can win the league for you. The players kind of balance out to a degree, but a high score from a defense...15 or higher can take you over the top in a close match up. To score high you need defensive scores, sacks, interceptions, fumble recoveries, blocked kicks, and special team scores. The best defenses in the league is not always a good fantasy team. A team can control a team with none of the above, but a team can loose and yet get 4 sacks, a fumble recovery and a pick six, and score more points than the better real defense.

Quarterback point differential on the average is not that large..maybe 6-8 points...the average defensive score is probably around 6 or 7 so if you get a 20-or 30 out of your defense it usually gets you the win. I usually stream my defense's and base it on match ups, but it is tough to guess right.

by the way I didn't do so well yesterday with my pro bowl picks...Kittle did okay for a TE with almost 7 points, but I switched to Thielen and he tanked, as did Barkley...they were screwing around playing defense and that screwed me. I will never bet on the pro bowl again...until next year :) I only wager around $ 1-10 a contest, and I am still in the black playing with monies I won during the year in the regular season, so it is just for fun.

I played fantasy Golf this week for the first time and lost three contests (8 dollars), but was close in two. I didn't really know what I was doing in regards to thinking about the cut, or doing research on players I don't follow, but it was fun in that it is a four day "game."

What is good about fantasy is if you are a fan it really gets you into the league, and other teams, and players...the down side is I find myself rooting against by team (Rams) sometimes, in regards to player points.
Don't take life so seriously in that " sooner or later we are just old men in funny clothes" "Tom 'T-Bone' Wolk"
_honorentheos
_Emeritus

Post by _honorentheos »

In the league's I normally play in, defenses score three ways. Usually they start out with a base number of points that get subtracted from as they allow points, they get direct points for defensive touchdowns and safeties, and points for non-scoring sacks, forced fumbles, and interceptions. So a shutdown defense can usually outscore most WR but won't add up to a good QB performance. The one time I played in an IDP league was crazy, where tackles were worth a percentage of a point, interceptions were OP, and a good D lineman was meaningful to winning between sack potential and guaranteed tackles per game. It was just way too much work to be fun, though.
The world is always full of the sound of waves..but who knows the heart of the sea, a hundred feet down? Who knows it's depth?
~ Eiji Yoshikawa